Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#175852 - 03/18/13 06:00 PM mylar type blankets
Lhooqtoo Offline

Howdy everyone! I'm thinking about how mylar type space blankets work, and would be grateful for any thoughts you might have. I'm wondering if there would be any decrease in performance in retaining heat by featuring a layer of fleece material between the mylar layer and the wearer. Specifically, if I were to sew a fleece backing onto the mylar side of something like the Grabber outdoor tarp, would I lose any of the heat trapping properties of the mylar? Thanks for your feedback.

#175856 - 03/18/13 09:07 PM Re: mylar type blankets [Re: Lhooqtoo]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
Because the Mylar is a vapor barrier you would be better served with any additional insulation place outside the blanket.

#175857 - 03/18/13 09:37 PM Re: mylar type blankets [Re: rockchucker22]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Originally Posted By rockchucker22
Because the Mylar is a vapor barrier you would be better served with any additional insulation place outside the blanket.

For heat retention I think the fleece worn towards the skin will keep you warmer. You need airspace between you and the reflective film to make it work and the fleece provides that. I've used these blankets this way and they work amazingly well.

If you want to reduce moisture you could cut slits or poke holes in the mylar outer shell so it can breath.

I'm not sure I'd sew it. I think I'd try a very light coat of 3M spray upholstery glue first. If I sewed it I'd use fiber reinforced tape on the mylar where I intended to stitch it.

"You want to go where?"

#175867 - 03/19/13 10:43 AM Re: mylar type blankets [Re: billstephenson]
Lhooqtoo Offline

Originally Posted By billstephenson

I'm not sure I'd sew it.

I was thinking more along the lines of stitching the fleece to the outside edge to retain the waterproof nature of the tarp. Spray adhesive is a good idea. It's more about creating a multi-use 'utility tarp/blanket' than to mock up a bivy.

On the other hand, the waterproof aspect could be satisfied by something like Tyvek, without mission creep. The mylar would need to be slit, and the final sandwich would be Tyvek/Mylar/Fleece. Stitching the fleece to the mylar wouldn't be an issue since the mylar needs perforation anyway. Spray adhesive between the mylar and Tyvek seems like it might clog the vapor permeability of the Tyvek.

#175868 - 03/19/13 10:49 AM Re: mylar type blankets [Re: Lhooqtoo]
lori Offline

Tyvek isn't waterproof in the slightest. At best, water resistant. I have a tyvek tent - best tent around if you are trying to eliminate condensation. Never had a drop. Worst tent if you are caught in a heavy rainstorm - filled the bathtub floor with water once upon a Pacific drencher.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#175871 - 03/19/13 11:19 AM Re: mylar type blankets [Re: Lhooqtoo]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
Originally Posted By Lhooqtoo
It's more about creating a multi-use 'utility tarp/blanket' than to mock up a bivy.

I'm having a hard time figuring out when such an item would be more useful than the individual components. Care to share what it is you're really trying to accomplish?

#175873 - 03/19/13 01:22 PM Re: mylar type blankets [Re: topshot]
Lhooqtoo Offline

Originally Posted By topshot
Care to share what it is you're really trying to accomplish?

I agree that two separate pieces allow for more flexibility. I was curious as to the effectiveness of the mylar under another layer.

Anticipated uses of tarp/mylar/fleece sandwich include:
- Picnic blanket for wet ground
- sleeping bag pad, for warmer seasons
- additional blanket (with separate pad, for colder seasons)
- emergency winter blanket for the truck

In particular, the industrial aesthetic of the mylar is not very picnic-y, and the other applications would benefit from the fleece as well.

Edited by Lhooqtoo (03/19/13 01:23 PM)

#175900 - 03/19/13 10:15 PM Re: mylar type blankets [Re: Lhooqtoo]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
I guess it would make it faster to deploy, but that's about it. It won't work for a groundcloth well. Punctures and tears too easily and once it starts it's not worth stopping though if it's glued to a piece of fabric that would stabilize it I suppose. I wouldn't purposely put holes or slits in it, but you could run into condensation issues over extended periods. Sounds like a good experiment for you to do. Thanks for volunteering! laugh

#175911 - 03/20/13 01:36 PM Re: mylar type blankets [Re: topshot]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
The silver emergency blankets they sell at Walmart will tear to shreds if they get a puncture, but the SOL blankets won't.

On the downside, the silver reflective on the SOL blankets wears off. The Walmart silver blankets won't lose their reflective surface.

I believe the Walmart blankets are made from "Mylar", which is a brand name for a type of plastic, not all of which is shiny and reflective. It's not very stretchy, but it tears easily.

The SOL blankets are made from high density polyethylene (HDPE). It tends to stretch instead of puncture and tear.

SOL makes several kinds of reflective blankets, some are quite a bit heavier than others. Those heavier blankets might make a decent ground cloth.

I use a piece of bubble foil insulation with a reflective side for a ground cloth. I also fold it up and use it for a sitting pad. A piece of that with a fleece blanket over it would be pretty nice to sit and lay on.

"You want to go where?"

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
2 registered (), 174 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum