Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#175802 - 03/16/13 06:32 PM Cooking gear for trout
BillyGoat Offline

Hi, I've been backpacking on and off for several years and am just now really getting into it. I've been working on lightening my pack load and am putting together a light-weight cook set. I'm going to be doing a lot of extended trips in the High Sierra this summer and plan to catch and keep trout to supplement my freeze dried meals--ideally I will just skewer the fish and cook them over a fire, but in several places fires are either not allowed or there is just not enough wood to burn, and this means I will need to use my canister stove. This leads me to wonder--what can I cook the fish in?

I don't want anything aluminum because of flavor, health, durability, and weight reasons. Unfortunately this means no aluminum foil. What I have been looking at are primarily the Snow Peak Ti 1400 because of its lid, and the Snow Peak titanium plate. I've never used either, though, and am concerned the plate would be too shallow to flip the fish and the 1400 lid would be too small in diameter to be practical. Has anyone ever fried anything in either of these? Is there anything else I should look at? Thanks in advance for the help. Ideally I'll be able to keep the weight down and the cost to a minimum, but I'm willing to pay for titanium.

#175803 - 03/16/13 06:40 PM Re: Cooking gear for trout [Re: BillyGoat]
lori Offline

I wouldn't use titanium to cook anything directly on it. It heats unevenly and unless coated with nonstick, the use of which I minimize for health reasons, stuff sticks to it like crazy.

Aluminum foil does the job - I foil wrap fish and put it in the coals of a fire, or on rocks in a pot with an inch of water in the bottom, to cook it. This minimizes cleanup and makes for nicely done, moist fish. Adding lemon juice, garlic powder/parsley or olive oil gives the fish a light hint of flavor. I use either hard anodized aluminum or titanium pots - either works well for the times I can't have a fire.

Aluminum got a bad rap for a while, but the research claiming it was dangerous was debunked a long time ago.

I have a hard anodized nonstick MSR pan - now, nonstick - that is proven to release toxins when overheated. I rarely use it, usually just to cook eggs in frontcountry camping, as eggs don't require high temps to cook.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#175809 - 03/16/13 08:53 PM Re: Cooking gear for trout [Re: BillyGoat]
jbylake Offline

Loc: Northern KY USA
I think it's either aluminum or Ti. I have a MSR Teflon coated super light fry pan that works great for fish. Other than over fire, the other metal is unobtanium for now, in the lightweight realm.

J. grin

#175813 - 03/17/13 11:03 AM Re: Cooking gear for trout [Re: jbylake]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
A friend of mine used a MSR frying pan, the one without a handle, and the Pocket Rocket stove to fry trouts while frountcountry camping.

#175816 - 03/17/13 01:52 PM Re: Cooking gear for trout [Re: ETSU Pride]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
WE have a lightweight aluminum frypan that we sometimes take.

But the best solution is a willow branch. 100% organic, no weight in the pack. With slight alterations may also be used for marshamallows...

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum