Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#175512 - 03/03/13 02:44 PM Elemental Horizons Kalais pack?
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
Has anyone here had experience with the Kalais pack? If so, I would be interested in hearing about it. From what I can tell from their website, it looks good.

#175514 - 03/03/13 04:17 PM Re: Elemental Horizons Kalais pack? [Re: Pika]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
None here, either, but based on the website specs and the reviews I've read, it would be #1 on my list should my current pack (Six Moon Designs Comet discontinued in 2006) decide to fall apart (no signs of that yet, so not likely I'll be trying the Kalais anytime soon).

Enthusiastic reviews of the Kalais are here and here. Somewhere on YouTube, Sgt. Rock, author of the first review, has a video, although it's rather dark.

My #2 choices would be the ULA Ohm 2.0 and perhaps whatever emerges from the new partnership of Ron Moak of SMD and Brian Frankle, former owner of ULA.

Whichever one I'd finally pick would, of course, depend on a try on and several hours' hiking around the house with all my gear plus a week's food and water, since pack fit is almost as individual as shoe fit. (Pika, I know you know this very well; I'm just throwing it in for the less experienced among us.)

#175523 - 03/03/13 07:35 PM Re: Elemental Horizons Kalais pack? [Re: Pika]
Slowfoot Offline

Loc: Missouri
I have had a Kalais for a few months. These are my observations:

* The lower back pad is not centered on my pack. It's not a problem because the hip belt can be centered, and the padding isn't thick enough for my back to notice at all, but it does make it look less professional.
* I don't like the roll-top closure that buckles down the sides. I would have asked for a drawstring if I'd realized it had that style. I had to switch out one of the side buckles with a top buckle so that I could close it like a dry bag, because it had both female buckles on the top and both males on the side. The female buckles only have one slot for the strap, so after switching them out I can't tighten that side strap. I don't plan to use the side buckles anyway, but it would be better if the pack could be closed either way.
* The hip belt has very little structure, which is fine for me at the loads I plan to carry. I don't think I've had more than 17 pounds in the pack.
* The back pocket doesn't have too much room when the pack is full since it doesn't stretch.
* The side pockets are large but the elastic top keeps things in pretty well. I usually carry a 1L Platypus in each one and that leaves a lot of extra room. Too much room sometimes since they can slide away from my back if there's nothing else in there.
* I haven't tried it without the stay yet. The "V-stay" is not really a "V", more of a squared-off "U" and it doesn't go out to the edges of the pack.

Let me know if there is anything specific you would like to know.

#175524 - 03/03/13 09:26 PM Re: Elemental Horizons Kalais pack? [Re: Slowfoot]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
It seem like a lot of cottage manufacturers are closely resembling Granite Gears' Blaze pack. I'm not accusing anyone of stealing another company's design, it just to achieve such lightweight, it must be a frame with a large hole to hold all of the gears.. Interesting looking pack..

#175527 - 03/03/13 10:08 PM Re: Elemental Horizons Kalais pack? [Re: ETSU Pride]

Kind of like the tents which look so much alike--especially the Lightheart Gear tents and the Six Moon Designs Skyscape series--both very much like a tent that was popular some years back (senior moment--forgot the name). There are only so many ways you can shape a lightweight tent or a lightweight backpack or clothing or.....

At the ALDHA West gathering Ron Moak of Six Moon designs had all his various tent models set up in a small meadow next to the meeting hall. I swear that from 20 feet away I couldn't tell which was which--they all looked almost identical. If I'd had my ZPacks Hexamid set up next to them, you couldn't have told that one apart either, except for its being cuben instead of silnylon.

Of course each of these tents has individual features that set them apart, but you have to get right up close to see them. The same is true of a lot of packs. How many ways can you do closures, shoulder straps, the basic bag, hip belts....

Granite Gear is another company whose packs just don't fit me, BTW. So there are some differences.

#175564 - 03/05/13 03:18 PM Re: Elemental Horizons Kalais pack? [Re: Slowfoot]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
If you'd be so kind, where is the stay housed, to what is it anchored and how is the "V" formed? How does it compare in effectiveness to a perimeter hoop-style frame?

That website talks about the stay quite a bit without showing it; likewise the Klymit frame insert, which is discussed as a critical element (purchased separately) but neither illustrated nor described. Nor sold, evidently.

Cheers,

#175595 - 03/05/13 09:05 PM Re: Elemental Horizons Kalais pack? [Re: Rick_D]
Slowfoot Offline

The stay is held in with a partial vertical sleeve on each side and little sleeves for the tips at the bottom. The top is held in with a velcro flap. I'm not sure if I am explaining it very well. It is about the same length as the pack but doesn't go out to the edges. I don't know where the "V" name comes from because it is does not look anything like a V to me. I'll try to post some pictures later.

#175596 - 03/05/13 09:13 PM Re: Elemental Horizons Kalais pack? [Re: Slowfoot]
Rick_D Offline

Thank you, that actually helps a lot!

Cheers,

#175598 - 03/05/13 09:46 PM Re: Elemental Horizons Kalais pack? [Re: Slowfoot]
Slowfoot Offline

Here are a couple of pictures. The "V" stay makes more sense when I look at it in the pack. The pockets that hold the bottom pieces are closer together than the top so it bends the pieces in toward each other. It's more square when removed.

#175601 - 03/05/13 11:51 PM Re: Elemental Horizons Kalais pack? [Re: Slowfoot]
Rick_D Offline

Okay then, V becomes U and all is explained. wink

Great pictures that completely demystify the suspension. I'm far more interested than I had been (I find this sort of suspension much better than typical stays.)

Thanks!

#175604 - 03/06/13 06:56 AM Re: Elemental Horizons Kalais pack? [Re: Rick_D]
Pika Online   content

That looks much like the stay setup that is used with the Six Moons Design Starlite and Swift. It works quite well.

#175639 - 03/07/13 12:27 PM Re: Elemental Horizons Kalais pack? [Re: Rick_D]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
I'm not really familiar with the Kalais pack's, but I currently use a Sixmoons Starlight pack. The hoop stay (or U stay depending upon how you look at it) is what finally sold me on it. Being able to add this stay when you want adds a level of flexibility I find advantageous. I've hit the trial with as little as 18lbs and no stay, and as much as (not recommended :D) 48lbs with the stay. Very comfortable both times and I could feel the added stability. I find it to be a clever use of materials.

I checked out the Sgt. Rock video and despite it being dark, the pack design looks promising. Would be really nice to see one in the flesh. Although the pad pocket hoop stay arrangement of the Kalais is similar to the Starlight, there does appear to be one significant difference (although I could be fooled by the video). On the Kalais, it appears that the pad pocket is wider than the stay where as the pad fits just inside the stay on the Starlight.

I'm curious Slowfoot, how do the pad pocket and stay interact with each other in this pack?

This does appear to be a "golden age" for this cottage industry. Creative and inventive things are coming out all the time.

Edited by skcreidc (03/07/13 12:56 PM)

#175649 - 03/07/13 01:53 PM Re: Elemental Horizons Kalais pack? [Re: Pika]
Pika Online   content

Chris,
I just ordered a Kalais pack so I will let you know how different it is from the SMD Starlite. I have put a lot of miles on my late, lamented, Starlite (I wrote a long review of it on Trailspace). I should be able to make some direct comparisons between the two. The Kalais won't be shipped for about a month though. I just got my JMT permit so the Kalais should be put through the wringer in late-August. I should have the pack in time for my early-May Grand Canyon trip too.

#175655 - 03/07/13 04:57 PM Re: Elemental Horizons Kalais pack? [Re: Pika]

The Kalais is smaller than the Starlite. 42 liters (total including pockets) vs. 67. I presume you noticed that. smile

I'll be waiting to hear how the Kalais works for you!

#175659 - 03/07/13 05:45 PM Re: Elemental Horizons Kalais pack? [Re: Pika]
skcreidc Offline

SMD Starlite....of course. THAT'S how you spell it. Charles, I will have to look up your Trailspace review on the Starlite pack. In the meantime, I'm glad everything is coming together for all your trips. The Grand Canyon should be a great shakedown trip for the Kalais.

#175663 - 03/07/13 06:19 PM Re: Elemental Horizons Kalais pack? [Re: OregonMouse]
Pika Online   content

As my gear has evolved the Starlite got bigger than I needed. One of my "cons" for the Starlite is the mediocre, at best, compression system. I have a 47 oz, 4000 cu in. Golite Quest I can use for heavier loads. It is a great pack but is now too big unless I am hauling a lot of water which I do on many occasions here in Arizona. I am getting the Kalais pack for my August JMT hike. For the Sierra, I can use a smaller pack, even with a bear can, I won't need the water hauling capacity. I have also considered the ULA Circuit and the GG Mariposa among others, the Kalais looked to be among the best of those I evaluated. I'll let you know.

#175668 - 03/07/13 10:46 PM Re: Elemental Horizons Kalais pack? [Re: skcreidc]
Slowfoot Offline

Originally Posted By skcreidc
I'm curious Slowfoot, how do the pad pocket and stay interact with each other in this pack?

The stay doesn't go out to the edges of the pack. The stay and the pad pocket don't really interact at all. The sleeves for the stay and the pad pocket attach to the pack at different spots.

#176722 - 04/24/13 12:32 PM Re: Elemental Horizons Kalais pack? [Re: Pika]
skcreidc Offline

I was curious if Pika got his Kalais pack yet? If so, what do you think about climbing with it; as a mountaineering pack? I'm assuming that the material couldn't take much abuse/rock rubbing, but I like the weight. If the compression system works well, I was thinking I could control the shape somewhat to allow for such activities.

#176728 - 04/24/13 01:00 PM Re: Elemental Horizons Kalais pack? [Re: skcreidc]

Same here, Pika--waiting to see what you think of it!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum