Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#175400 - 02/27/13 09:36 PM Cooking burner for one person
flw Offline

I want a cooking burner/stove that can use fuel containers from several different makers of fuel containers. Ideally if the MSR Pocket rocket could use fuel containers from more than just MSR. This is for one person.

I live out of cities and have limited sources for propane fuel.

So if you could provide the name of the product/cost and types of fuel containers it can use. When I say types of fuel, I mean types of container not alcohol vs propane etc...

Thank You for your help.

#175401 - 02/27/13 10:52 PM Re: Cooking burner for one person [Re: flw]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
The screw thread and valve arrangement on the MSR Pocket Rocket(tm) conforms to the industry standard, so it can be threaded onto iso-propane/butane canisters from many different manufacturers, such as Sno-Peak and a variety of off-brand canisters. This is not true universally of all propane burners. As I recall, Primus has a proprietary valve arrangement which forces you to use Primus canisters. This is not true of the MSR or Sno-Peak burners and some others.

#175403 - 02/28/13 04:18 AM Re: Cooking burner for one person [Re: aimless]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
My Primus Micron (now discontinued) uses the standard valve.

#175406 - 02/28/13 09:30 AM Re: Cooking burner for one person [Re: flw]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
The Pocket Rocket will work admirably for your purpose. I have used mine in this manner for at least the past decade.

#175407 - 02/28/13 09:55 AM Re: Cooking burner for one person [Re: oldranger]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
I love the Pocket Rocket as well. I've used the MSR brand fuel can and a Wal-Mart brand when I couldn't get to a outdoor store for the MSR.

#175410 - 02/28/13 10:06 AM Re: Cooking burner for one person [Re: flw]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
The Pocket Rocket will use most other fuel cylinders (Jetboil and Snow Peak were the other ones I used.) When I used mine (before I switched to the Jetboil Sol), I preferred the MSR cylinders because they were a bit wider and lower than other brands, which made them a tad more stable. However, I never had tip-over problems with other cylinders, either.

I always found that any store that sold Jetboil or Snow Peak canisters also sold MSR canisters, so getting them was never really a problem. The only reason I ended up trying the other brands was that the outfitter had temporarily sold out of the MSR canisters (big Scout weekends created a "run" in both cases.)

You may want to look at the MSR MicroRocket - it's just a more compact version of the Pocket Rocket (of course, compact equals more dollars.)

#175415 - 02/28/13 10:44 AM Re: Cooking burner for one person [Re: Glenn Roberts]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I use Jetboil, and their canisters are compatible with the pocket rocket, several other MSR stoves, as well as snow peak, and others. I usually buy the coleman brand canister at Walmart. It fits as well.

#175418 - 02/28/13 11:09 AM Re: Cooking burner for one person [Re: flw]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
Originally Posted By flw
Maybe this is for winter camping or true cooking, but have you considered just an alcohol stove? Very simple, cheap and easy to make (ie, Super Cat). Very simple, CHEAP and easy to operate. Fuel is available almost anywhere (eg, you could buy a gallon for $8-10 and it will last you quite a while). About the only downside is you have to wait maybe twice as long for your water to boil or if you plan to cook, you'd have to make 2 perhaps (or a simmer ring) since they aren't adjustable.

#175419 - 02/28/13 11:20 AM Re: Cooking burner for one person [Re: flw]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Originally Posted By flw
I want a cooking burner/stove that can use fuel containers from several different makers of fuel containers. Ideally if the MSR Pocket rocket could use fuel containers from more than just MSR. This is for one person.

So if you could provide the name of the product/cost and types of fuel containers it can use. When I say types of fuel, I mean types of container not alcohol vs propane etc...

Thank You for your help.

One point of clarification.... the pocket rocket will use any brand of butane/iso-butane/iso-butane, propane mixture cylinders. However it does not thread on to those cheap propane cylinders you can get at the hardware store. The two types of cylinders look somewhat similar but they are not. Are you looking for a stove to use with those cylinders?

Edited by BZH (02/28/13 11:39 AM)

#175429 - 02/28/13 02:57 PM Re: Cooking burner for one person [Re: BZH]

Quote:

Oops, I missed that one! The small lightweight backpacking stoves such as those made by MSR, Snow Peak, Primus, etc. are NOT designed for propane fuel but for an isobutane-propane mix (30% propane at most). Please don't try to mix the two unless you want a sudden tragic end to your trip!

Pure propane is not suitable for backpacking anyway because the weight of the metal designed to contain it is far too heavy. To use it, you need a stove specifically designed for propane. It will be heavy!

#175950 - 03/21/13 06:36 PM Re: Cooking burner for one person [Re: aimless]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Originally Posted By aimless
The screw thread and valve arrangement on the MSR Pocket Rocket(tm) conforms to the industry standard, so it can be threaded onto iso-propane/butane canisters from many different manufacturers, such as Sno-Peak and a variety of off-brand canisters. This is not true universally of all propane burners. As I recall, Primus has a proprietary valve arrangement which forces you to use Primus canisters. This is not true of the MSR or Sno-Peak burners and some others.

Aimless is wrong as far as I know. I have a Micron and use Sno-Peak canisters. I think other models are the same. I think he's thinking of the older style stoves that don't have the Lindal valve.

#175952 - 03/21/13 06:49 PM Re: Cooking burner for one person [Re: TomD]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
Primus does have a normal Lindal valve so can be used with MSR stoves.

#176401 - 04/12/13 04:58 PM Re: Cooking burner for one person [Re: flw]
KYkamper Offline

Loc: Louisville, KY
I just switched from a MSR pocket rocket system to a super cat alcohol stove. The reason I did it was availability of fuel, simplicity (i.e. no moving parts to break), and weight. I would recommend exploring the following site www.zenstoves.net and giving it a try. It will cost you about 10$ for everything, super light, and the amount of alcohol fuel you get compared to the MSR containers for the same price is outrageous.

#176748 - 04/25/13 12:30 AM Re: Cooking burner for one person [Re: flw]
goldenteardr Offline

Loc: az and nm
This is a little off from your question about fuel canister but I found that my portable wood stove serves me best. Better than a gas stove like propane and the wood stoves burns anything I find along the way. It takes about 12/14 minutes to boil one litre of water. Works in any temperature and at any altitude but is temperamental in windy weather. Weight is about same as MSR whisperlite.

#176749 - 04/25/13 02:24 AM Re: Cooking burner for one person [Re: goldenteardr]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By goldenteardr
This is a little off from your question about fuel canister but I found that my portable wood stove serves me best. Better than a gas stove like propane and the wood stoves burns anything I find along the way. It takes about 12/14 minutes to boil one litre of water. Works in any temperature and at any altitude but is temperamental in windy weather. Weight is about same as MSR whisperlite.

And, illegal when fires are banned. Which is usual where i hike. Which means I'm best served by one of my alcohol or canister stoves, at half that weight to boot.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#176750 - 04/25/13 02:27 AM Re: Cooking burner for one person [Re: KYkamper]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Originally Posted By KYkamper
I just switched from a MSR pocket rocket system to a super cat alcohol stove. The reason I did it was availability of fuel, simplicity (i.e. no moving parts to break), and weight. I would recommend exploring the following site www.zenstoves.net and giving it a try. It will cost you about 10$ for everything, super light, and the amount of alcohol fuel you get compared to the MSR containers for the same price is outrageous.

This is true, but keep in mind the heat put out by the same amount of white gas compared to alcohol is considerably more.
http://equipped.outdoors.org/2013/02/heat-output-of-alcohol-vs-white-gas-vs.html
Follow the imbedded link to the Zen site for a more comprehensive analysis.

#176756 - 04/25/13 11:40 AM Re: Cooking burner for one person [Re: lori]

It's a good idea to check the details of those fire bans; increasingly alcohol and Esbit stoves, or any stoves without shutoff valves, are included in those bans along with wood stoves. Last summer several national forests in the Pacific Northwest specifically stated that stoves must have a shutoff valve and be approved by Underwriters Laboratories. I believe that was in response to the fire in Colorado caused by a careless alcohol stove user last spring. The UL provision would also exclude any homemade stoves.

Wood stoves, as well as campfires, are also prohibited in areas where wood is scarce, in areas near, at or above timberline. Here in the Pacific Northwest, that's above 4,000 to 5,000 feet elevation. That's regardless of fire danger and has to do with the thin soils lacking organic matter at those elevations. Strip those areas of the small amount of down wood that needs to rot and replenish the soil, and you end up with bare dirt instead of wildflowers.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum