Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#175252 - 02/21/13 09:10 PM light pants?
yilduz Offline

I'm preparing for some traveling and I want to be as lightweight as possible and right now I'm looking for lightweight clothing. The heaviest of my clothing is my pants, obviously. I want to have a few pair of pants with me so I'm looking for something that is lightweight and packs easily and rolls up very small. Durability is important.

What do you guys have, or what do you recommend?

#175253 - 02/21/13 09:22 PM Re: light pants? [Re: yilduz]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
When hiking I always wear lightweight nylon pants with legs that zip off to convert my pants to shorts whenever I desire. A new pair can look semi-stylish enough for city use, but there's enough variation in cut and fit that you'd want to try them on and have a good look at how they fit you.

The other thing to look for, especially if you go for a cheaper pair of 'convertible' pants, is whether the zippers around your thighs chaff or rub. These should be entirely shielded by a flap of cloth that keeps each zipper away from your skin.

Such pants can often be found on sale. Prices can vary from $25 up $90, depending on brand and features.

#175254 - 02/21/13 10:57 PM Re: light pants? [Re: aimless]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I have a few pair of nylon zip offs too. Good cheap ones are getting hard to find. frown

"You want to go where?"

#175256 - 02/21/13 11:18 PM Re: light pants? [Re: billstephenson]
yilduz Offline

How durable are those nylon zip offs? They seem like a good idea because they're shorts and pants at the same time. I like things that can be more than one thing.
I generally wear some rather heavy and bulky cargo pants.

#175258 - 02/22/13 08:58 AM Re: light pants? [Re: yilduz]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
If your just walking around in them, these zip-offs will hold up for a few years...at least mine have and I do bushwacking in mine along with a little rubbing up on rock. Mine are from REI though so are not cheap; guaranteed but not cheap. Could try thrift stores/ looking for used pair until you get closer to your trip.

Chris

#175259 - 02/22/13 09:15 AM Re: light pants? [Re: billstephenson]
Ewker Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Originally Posted By billstephenson
I have a few pair of nylon zip offs too. Good cheap ones are getting hard to find. frown

check out thrift stores.

#175260 - 02/22/13 10:18 AM Re: light pants? [Re: yilduz]
lori Offline

Depends on what you mean by durability. I've blown through multiple pairs of convertibles by using them more or less constantly (hike every week) and sitting on logs and granite a lot.

So I have a pair of 5.11's (heavy nylon ripstop) and several of the light soft convertible pants. For on trail, straightforward stuff where I'm going to have something to sit on I wear the lighter pants. If it's a light pack, cross country, brushy trip I wear the 5.11's.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#175261 - 02/22/13 12:14 PM Re: light pants? [Re: lori]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
I have a couple of pair that I've used for years. They are reasonably durable. As per Lori, avoid using them as you sit down on a slope of steep granite and slide down it.

Then again, if you are in that situation, you are better off using your pants than your bare behind!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#175263 - 02/22/13 12:34 PM Re: light pants? [Re: balzaccom]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I have some Ex Officio's that I used satisfactorily for years.They are just the thing for bike touring. Eventually the zippers did blow out, so now I have just shorts. I much prefer a lightweight nylon or polyester fabric.

#175264 - 02/22/13 01:05 PM Re: light pants? [Re: yilduz]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I have a pair that I stitched up using 1.8 oz/yd dark blue, DWR, ripstop nylon. They weigh just a skidge under 4 oz. I ordinarily wear light shorts for hiking and I carry these wind pants and a pair of Capilene 2 long johns to use if it gets cold and windy.

#175270 - 02/22/13 02:55 PM Re: light pants? [Re: yilduz]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
“ I want to have a few pair of pants with me so I'm looking for something that is lightweight and packs easily and rolls up very small. ”

When doing light weight backpacking, all that is needed is the pair you have on. As mentioned earlier, REI has some great nylon zipoffs. That’s what I use.

Good luck,
-Barry
-The mountains were made for Teva’s

#175291 - 02/23/13 01:42 AM Re: light pants? [Re: BarryP]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I don't wear shorts (varicose veins, scars from knee surgery, above all an aversion to mosquito bites and allergy to most sunscreens) so I don't like zip-offs. I prefer a pair of just plain nylon pants. The main problem is that pockets on women's pants are completely useless, and with my ample (!) derriere I can't wear men's pants.

You can get a pair of plain (not convertible) nylon pants plus a pair of lightweight nylon swim trunks for the same or less weight as a pair of convertibles, and you won't have to feud with the zippers.

Do note that this site is about wilderness trekking, not European style "backpacking = budget travel." Savvy backpackers (American style) take only the pair of pants they are wearing.

#175294 - 02/23/13 02:46 PM Re: light pants? [Re: OregonMouse]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
Poly/Microfiber dress pants work pretty well. I got mine from Sears; I've worn them both with a sport coat and on the trail. They cost me about $10 on sale from Sears.

#175296 - 02/23/13 04:43 PM Re: light pants? [Re: OregonMouse]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I agree with Oregon Mouse.

Edited by DJ2 (02/23/13 04:44 PM)

#175305 - 02/24/13 02:39 AM Re: light pants? [Re: DJ2]
rionada Offline

Loc: Hervey Bay, QLD Australia
I spent 4 months in a pair of REI Sahara zip offs (the only pants I had the entire time). They held up just fine. I eventually burned some holes in them sitting around a spitting campfire (that quick dry fabric burns good and quick).

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum