Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#174939 - 02/10/13 11:15 PM Anything beat Spoonbill?
Maeglin Offline

Loc: Washington
Greetings,

I have had my eyes on the Spoonbill for quite a while. Before spending that amount, I'd love to get some feedback on possibly better items.

http://featheredfriends.com/index.php/spoonbill-sleeping-bag-1089.html
Two-person, 2lb 11oz

I do 3-season camping in the PNW with wife or young kids, so I almost always have someone with me. The wife sleeps cold and it often drops to freezing, so I usually buy 20-degree rated bags. The tent is a Tarptent Rainshadow 2.

I'm open to two bags or even quilts, but have not seen any that make sense from a price or weight perspective when you have to carry two.

Any insight on the difference between the shell materials on the Spoonbill and Spoonbill UL (Schoeller Nanosphere versus Pertex Endurance UL)?

Many thanks, Chris

#174942 - 02/11/13 12:57 AM Re: Anything beat Spoonbill? [Re: Maeglin]
lori Offline

I frequently carry two Jacks R Better three season quilts rated to the low 20s (and sleep very well with them) when using my hammock. They are 22 oz apiece. About the same as one of the bag you selected.

I camped in November at 9,000 feet. We broke ice on the lake for water and hiked most of the morning on frozen trail. Very warm with a heavyweight base layer, hat, a quilt above, a quilt below, and a loosely hung poncho for a wind break.

My two quilts cost $240 apiece - much, much cheaper than the Spoonbill. I added full length Omni Tape (like velcro but it has both hook and loop in each strip, so not rough on the skin) to stick the two quilts together, making a full size comforter (they are each about the same as a twin size comforter).

Wouldn't trade them for anything. Except maybe the 900 fp version which they came out with after I bought my 800 fp versions.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#175002 - 02/12/13 04:50 PM Re: Anything beat Spoonbill? [Re: Maeglin]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
“I'm open to two bags or even quilts, but have not seen any that make sense from a price or weight perspective when you have to carry two.”

My favorite quilt is my zpacks 20F quilt (single person). It’s my warmest quilt. So I’ll put a plug in for the double. It’s lighter and cheaper than the Spoonbill, and may be just as warm. http://www.zpacks.com/quilts.shtml The 20F twin quilt is 27oz and the 10F quilt is 31oz.

I’d prefer the twin quilt. However, right now my wife and I share one Western Mounatineering Megalight. She bought a mating zipper and sewed it too a very light fleece blanket (shape of a Cutie Pie)--- which happens to be a good ground insulator. Together it weighs 33oz. On cold nights, the Megalight is on both of us. On warm nights, we flip it over. It so happens the zipper also mates with our WM Caribou and Antelope GWS.

Let us know what you do.
Thanx,
-Barry
-The mountains were made for Tevas

#175018 - 02/13/13 04:46 AM Re: Anything beat Spoonbill? [Re: Maeglin]
Maeglin Offline

Loc: Washington
Great suggestions Lori & Barry, thanks!

Lori, for the two quilts, what do you do with the sides of the quilt? I am guessing that you still tie the bottoms to create two foot-boxes?

Barry, I seriously considered the Z-packs dual quilt. It says that it is only 84" at the shoulders and hips compared to 104/90" on the Spoonbill. Granted, all of that is insulated; if a person could rig an under blanket like your current set-up, you would have lots of room. I guess you would need extra length to get it around your head as well.

#175024 - 02/13/13 09:48 AM Re: Anything beat Spoonbill? [Re: Maeglin]
lori Offline

If I had two people I would get the larger version of the quilt to share.

When I stick them together to make a huge quilt, I don't have foot boxes. I suppose I could, but at that point I'm using it on my bed. Which I have done since the heater broke and temps here have consistently fallen into the 20s many nights.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#175025 - 02/13/13 10:15 AM Re: Anything beat Spoonbill? [Re: Maeglin]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
"I guess you would need extra length to get it around your head as well."

No. We just wear a thin balaclava and stocking hat on real cold nights.

-Barry

#175026 - 02/13/13 11:38 AM Re: Anything beat Spoonbill? [Re: BarryP]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
You can also buy down hoods for cold nights! ZPacks, Goose Feet (who make the one ZPacks sells) and Katabatic all sell them.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum