Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#175009 - 02/12/13 10:33 PM Re: National Park Tour [Re: OhioBiscuit]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Didn't mean to imply Isle Royale isn't great - it is! My recommendation to drop it was because it seemed to eat up a lot of your time, and would be easier to visit than the western parks, if you settle down in the Midwest. Don't take it off your life list; just take it off this list. Isle Royale deserves to be a destination all to itself, and have time lavished on it - it shouldn't just be a stop along the way. If you can afford the time this year, by all means go - but don't scrimp on the time you spend there.

Edited by Glenn Roberts (02/14/13 05:39 PM)
Edit Reason: clarify 2nd sentence

#175063 - 02/14/13 08:42 AM Re: National Park Tour [Re: Glenn Roberts]
OhioBiscuit Offline

IR definitely sounds like an awesome way to end the trip. I'm hoping to spend about four days hiking the spine of the island. I could easily decide to take a week in July or August solely for IR. After planning this out for a couple weeks, the focus of my trip is definitely going to be the Rockies, as hard as that might even be to do in six weeks.

#175064 - 02/14/13 09:01 AM Re: National Park Tour [Re: Glenn Roberts]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
Isle Royale deserves to be a destination all to itself, and have time lavished on it - it shouldn't just be a stop along the way.

This is the part of GR's excellent post that really stands out for me. It is true of IR,as well as the other parks and localities you will be visiting. Of course, if you haven't visited this part of the planet before, a rapid survey is probably a good thing - you have time to come back and cultivate the places that appeal to you.

Mulling this over, I reflected on my first visit to the Grand Canyon - just out of high school, traveling with Mom and Dad, and hitting all the "must see" places. We peered over the South Rim, and went on. I honestly wasn't all that impressed - after all, GC is basically jsut a big hole in the ground. But later on, I was privileged to return many more times, as an NPS employee, as a volunteer, and as a visitor. Grand Canyon is deep, wide, profound, and very subtle, with all kinds of odd values and resources. Just as an example - which probably has more miles of cave passage - Grand Canyon or Mammoth Cave NP?

Enjoy you trip - let us know how it comes out!

#175068 - 02/14/13 09:40 AM Re: National Park Tour [Re: OhioBiscuit]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
Originally Posted By OhioBiscuit
After planning this out for a couple weeks, the focus of my trip is definitely going to be the Rockies, as hard as that might even be to do in six weeks.
That shouldn't be a problem. You won't spend a lot of time at some places (Bryce & Arches for example) but could spend several days at others. That's up to you to decide since you know what does and doesn't interest you as much.

We crammed in a lot on our trip last summer but had a blast. I purposely left out a couple potential spots so we'd have more time at the others.

This summer has more destinations (and more time) but some like Arches, Bryce, Hoover Dam and Death valley won't take much time.

One other tip is to plan your gas stops using gasbuddy.com. You can save a fair bit on gas doing that and making sure you don't run low in the middle of nowhere. I only had to make one unplanned stop last year because of additional driving I hadn't expected (needing to drive a significant distance back to a visitor center because they'd changed the permitting process the week we arrived). Sometimes I'd fill back up after only half tank just to not be forced to buy where it was 20+ cents more.

#175079 - 02/14/13 05:05 PM Re: National Park Tour [Re: topshot]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
"some like Arches, Bryce, Hoover Dam and Death valley won't take much time." No area need take more time than anyone wishes to spend there, but each of these parks can profitably absorb lots andlots of your time. For instance, if by Hoover Dam, you are refering to Lake Mead Nat'l Recreation Area, there is a lot of gorund to cover. In addition to a large reservoir, there is significant (de facto, at least) wilderness in the upland areas of the NRA. Death Valley is wide and sprawling, with a hugely diverse landscape. I did my deepest cave dive in that park (and there are significant mou tains and canyons. You can be sure, however, that DV will be the low point of your trip.....

I guess I will have to admit to being an avid fan of NPs (and similar areas). Please understand that they have been a significant part of my life....

#175109 - 02/15/13 12:22 PM Re: National Park Tour [Re: oldranger]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
Originally Posted By oldranger
You can be sure, however, that DV will be the low point of your trip.....
Groan. smile DV will be too hot to explore extensively. Lake Mead is really big, but nothing around it interests us (compared to all the other places we'll be). As they say, to each his own (aka HYOH). smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 154 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum