Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#171058 - 10/29/12 11:40 AM Tent footprint versus silnylon tarp
Ken S Offline

Loc: Saint Charles, MO
I'm looking for alternatives to an expensive silnylon tarp. I found a tent footprint for the kelty villa 4 that is 90 x 90, roughly square, symmetrical, weighs 16ozs with mesh bag, new for 15 dollars shipping included online. Any pros or cons to this, and whats a similar sized silnylon tarp weigh for comparison?

#171059 - 10/29/12 12:14 PM Re: Tent footprint versus silnylon tarp [Re: Ken S]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Go to the Backcountry Gear website and search "tarp." You'll get a wide variety of flat tarps, shaped tarps, poncho/tarps, and materials you can compare - including sale prices on a few of them.

Generally, you'll get what you pay for. One thing to be aware of is that a groundcloth typically will not have grommets or tie-downs along the edges to which you can attach guy lines. You can add these (though they may easily rip out if not reinforced), or improvise attachments using small rounded rocks, but it's a lot less conveninet.

If I were to go back to a tarp, it would probably be the MSR Twing (or a similar shaped tarp with one closed end, like the Integral Designs SilShelter); however, if I wanted a "flat" tarp, my choice would be the Granite Gear White Lightnin' (which is currently on sale at Backcountry Gear.)

So why don't I use a tarp? Because solo tents have become widely available, and weigh the same or less (remember, tarp camping also requires a groundcloth.) The tents are just more convenient and weatherproof for less weight, so I'm willing to spend the extra money for a tent. I tarp-camped for a lot of years, when solo tents weren't available and two person tents weighed six pounds, and found it delightful (except for the bugs), so I'm not trying to discourage you - but just be aware that this is one area where it may pay to spend more.

#171064 - 10/29/12 12:47 PM Re: Tent footprint versus silnylon tarp [Re: Glenn Roberts]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
I'm using this tarp. For the weight, quality, and price in comparison to other high end silnylon tarps you cannot beat it. I haven't seam seal this tarp and it still hasn't sprung a leak...

Edited by ETSU Pride (10/29/12 12:50 PM)

#171075 - 10/29/12 06:43 PM Re: Tent footprint versus silnylon tarp [Re: Ken S]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
you often find footprints of discontinued tents at a lower price than you can but the raw material for.
The reason is because for a shop that is dead money ..
However a foot print is designed to work as that not as a tarp.
Apart from the cut the tie outs may not be strong enough to cope with wind the material also may not be all that waterproof when kinetic force is applied.
(that is wind blown rain or just large drops)

#171092 - 10/29/12 11:10 PM Re: Tent footprint versus silnylon tarp [Re: Franco]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
My wife and I run a campground and we get tents busted up from wind. I've used the tent floors as tarps, the wall deviders as ground cloths, polls as plastic holders for my garden, trying to figure more stuff to use these things for. Mostly if it's usable it gets donated to someone.

#171094 - 10/29/12 11:56 PM Re: Tent footprint versus silnylon tarp [Re: rockchucker22]
Hermes (Nick G) Offline

I'm under the impression its fairly simple to make a tarp on your own, with much less than 16 oz of weight! Campmor sells all sorts of cheap tarps as well, including a 6x8 9 oz silnylon for $70, or check out cheaper heavier tarps: http://www.campmor.com/gear/tents/tarps.shtml

One thing you might think about, if you know you'll be comfortable under a small tarp, is a poncho tarp.

I have a Sea to Summit Poncho nylon tarp that weighs 13 oz, but it's cheap ($30) and serves as both raingear and a shelter. That's about a 16-17 oz shelter system for $40 in relation to a 20 oz tent for $400, not counting the multi-purpose aspect.

I'm going to be getting rid of this poncho tarp in favor of the Golite Silnylon equivalent, which is 7 oz and $60.

#171098 - 10/30/12 01:45 AM Re: Tent footprint versus silnylon tarp [Re: Ken S]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
If you have a nice, new tent and you would like to protect the floor and be able to fast and light pitch so to speak buy the foot print! You you will prob be happy u did! And if you ever desire to sell having it only helps! I have four nice tents and three nice foot prints and contemplating buying the fourth! think about it.

Edited by Samoset (10/30/12 01:50 AM)

#171100 - 10/30/12 03:45 AM Re: Tent footprint versus silnylon tarp [Re: Samoset]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
How about reading the OP's question before you post your thoughts...

#171103 - 10/30/12 08:19 AM Re: Tent footprint versus silnylon tarp [Re: Ken S]
Ken S Offline

Loc: Saint Charles, MO
I picked up the footprint, 81 square feet for 16 ozs with tieouts, can always find a use. This will be for two people, so we'll give it a try for a while until we can find a good deal on a sylnylon setup. I checked out the twing and that looks like a nice setup. Thanks for everyones input.

#174649 - 02/04/13 06:53 AM Re: Tent footprint versus silnylon tarp [Re: Ken S]
JMB Offline

I'm one for using a normal backpacking tarp. They are designed specifically for that function. If you do go with a footprint, you will probably want to mod it to meet your needs.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum