Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#174600 - 02/03/13 03:03 AM Gourmet Camp Coffee?
jbylake Offline

Loc: Northern KY USA
First let me state this, I'm by no means wealthy, nor refined, but there is one item that I'll indulge myself in, usually without concern for cost, and that's coffee. I've decided that besides the one small pot I'm going to carry in my pack this year, for boiling water, that's going to be it. So no coffee pots. gizmo's, steeping systems, nada. Just instant coffee.

And while I by no stretch of the imagination consider Starbucks as gourmet coffee, they do offer one of the best instant coffee's that I've tried.

Just curious if anyone else has tried any other specialty instant coffee's that may be out there in the world some where, that you might recommend.

Thanks,

J. smile

Edited by jbylake (02/03/13 03:04 AM)

#174601 - 02/03/13 10:46 AM Re: Gourmet Camp Coffee/Cereal? [Re: jbylake]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
Just last week. I overnighted on a group of my friends weeklong trip.

That morning I noticed they where all eating chocolate granola with Starbucks via in it?

They were boiling water adding the granola, coffee, and nido. I was so compelled I barterd for a serving and was sold ,delicious quick and hardly no cleanup

#174607 - 02/03/13 12:42 PM Re: Gourmet Camp Coffee? [Re: jbylake]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Personally, I think Nescafe' French Roast is pretty darn good instant coffee, and it costs about 1/5 of "Via" in the single serving packages, and a lot less than that if you buy a jar of it. It's worth trying if you haven't already. WalMart carries it here, right next to "Via".

"You want to go where?"

#174615 - 02/03/13 02:52 PM Re: Gourmet Camp Coffee? [Re: billstephenson]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I like the "Medaglia d'Oro" instant espresso. Better, IMHO, than Starbuck's Via (unless you like Starbuck's over-burned version). Your Mileage May Vary, of course!

However, since I like my coffee with hot milk and dried milk tastes ghastly (at least to me) when heated, I drink tea when backpacking. Most of the time I just drink water and eat cold cereal for breakfast so I don't have to fuss with the stove. Again, YMMV!

Samoset, I might try your friends' version (mixing the coffee into the cereal), but cold.

Edited by OregonMouse (02/03/13 02:54 PM)

#174616 - 02/03/13 02:55 PM Re: Gourmet Camp Coffee? [Re: billstephenson]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
My mother drinks Nescafe Classico almost exclusively. Because of this, I bring my own when I visit...

Maybe the French Roast is better: I would be willing to try it. Meanwhile, I stocked up on Via when Amazon.com had sales on it, and bought a nylon bag to use with ground coffee when I don't use the VIA. Many Dollar Deals stores have packages of tea bag-sized organza drawtring bags for party favors. Maybe 6 for a buck. They work OK for MYO coffee bags, using anyone's favorite ground coffee.

#174628 - 02/03/13 08:31 PM Re: Gourmet Camp Coffee? [Re: CamperMom]
jbylake Offline

Originally Posted By CamperMom
My mother drinks Nescafe Classico almost exclusively. Because of this, I bring my own when I visit...

Maybe the French Roast is better: I would be willing to try it. Meanwhile, I stocked up on Via when Amazon.com had sales on it, and bought a nylon bag to use with ground coffee when I don't use the VIA. Many Dollar Deals stores have packages of tea bag-sized organza drawtring bags for party favors. Maybe 6 for a buck. They work OK for MYO coffee bags, using anyone's favorite ground coffee.

Thanks, but I was going to try my best to avoid packing out coffee grounds, or having to mess with them at all. (That would be the easiest way to get my own ground beans into the field, but I've used regular Folders (I think it was) in the bags, and well, I just thought the whole mess was a hassle. With the instant, I can just heat water, pour in coffee, and in the case of Via, just toss the empty little packet into my trash bag.

That's why I was trying to stick with instant. I can get by on dark roast Via, but was looking for alternatives that might be better. Ordinarily, I never drink instant, except in "have to" situations, where I can't get my fix any other way. eek

Thanks,

J. smile

Edited by jbylake (02/03/13 08:39 PM)

#174635 - 02/04/13 12:09 AM Re: Gourmet Camp Coffee? [Re: jbylake]
llamero Offline

Loc: western Oregon
I love good coffee too and over the years have experimented with numerous brands of ground coffee and ways to prepare them. It is a hassle to deal with it all on a packing trip and for some reason it was never as good as when made at home so last year I decided to go instant and while I haven't found a delicious blend, I prefer the Starbucks, marginally, over other brands: Nescafe, Folgers and some other forgettable big name brands. I also started adding some hot chocolate mix to my coffee (only when camping) and found that quite enjoyable, so I might go to a less expensive brand of coffee.

#174653 - 02/04/13 09:13 AM Re: Gourmet Camp Coffee? [Re: jbylake]
Ewker Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I am a Starbucks Via person also. I buy the individual packs of the Christmas Blend Espresso Roast (while they last) so I can drink them all yr

#174669 - 02/04/13 05:15 PM Re: Gourmet Camp Coffee? [Re: Ewker]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
I don't drink coffee. But my wife is professional chef, and likes her cup every morning. She, too, is a big fan of VIA.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#174670 - 02/04/13 05:49 PM Re: Gourmet Camp Coffee? [Re: jbylake]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
After my search about 2 years ago, I settled on VIA when I bring coffee. It's not bad, but still doesn't taste like fresh coffee to me though. I'm still looking....

Quote:
OM said;

Better, IMHO, than Starbuck's Via (unless you like Starbuck's over-burned version). Your Mileage May Vary, of course!

Ha! laugh That's funny; I feel the same way about Starbucks. But I think the VIA has less of a burnt taste, unlike their fresh coffee's. I can only drink the espressos when we stop by.

#175219 - 02/20/13 04:15 PM Re: Gourmet Camp Coffee? [Re: skcreidc]
Cranman Offline

Loc: Central NC
My .02 is that Via is great but too strong. I take one packet, divide it in 1/2 and mix in about 2 tablespoons if walmart instant capucino mix. The capucino mix smoothes out and sweetens the coffee. Perfect.

#175236 - 02/21/13 07:15 AM Re: Gourmet Camp Coffee? [Re: Cranman]
CamperMom Offline

Well, I planned something similar. VIA is very strong as well as expensive, so I purposely buy Italian Roast with the expectation of splitting it between two cups or one very large mug, adding a cheaper pre-sugared and creamered coffee or some cocoa mix. Most of the pre-sweetened offerings are too sweet for me anyway.

CM

#175249 - 02/21/13 08:02 PM Re: Gourmet Camp Coffee? [Re: CamperMom]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
14-16oz Water hot "not boiling"
1 rounded Tablespoon Nido
1 Sugar in the raw packet
1 Star bucks via Italian roast

Dohh now I want some coffee!

#175255 - 02/21/13 11:01 PM Re: Gourmet Camp Coffee? [Re: CamperMom]
jbylake Offline

Originally Posted By CamperMom
Well, I planned something similar. VIA is very strong as well as expensive, so I purposely buy Italian Roast with the expectation of splitting it between two cups or one very large mug....
CM

If VIA Italian Roast is to strong for you, try the new "Blonde" they have out now. It's Starbucks answer to that exact consumer, people who don't like dark roasted coffee. I didn't start drinking Coffee until my mid 20's, or later, and traveled overseas a lot, while in the military. Strong coffee is what I was weened on. A cup of Foldgers, or for that matter, any regular coffee, that isn't brewed extra "strength" is just plain bad, to my tastes.

J.

#175325 - 02/25/13 09:18 AM Re: Gourmet Camp Coffee? [Re: jbylake]
CamperMom Offline

You seem to be missing my point. Because Starbucks is so expensive, I buy the extra strong stuff, planning to water it down. It saves money and packaging. Starbucks is one of the last places I would stop to buy coffee for off-trail consumption, opting for Neuman's blend or even some of the better coffees at gas stations. I like Green Mountain and Cumberland Farms "Farmhouse Blend" coffees. Cheaper and pretty good. Dunkin Donuts is good, too, but I'm a tightwad and unless I have a reason to buy coffee out, like traveling or meeting someone, I brew ground coffee at home.

CM

#175326 - 02/25/13 11:06 AM Re: Gourmet Camp Coffee? [Re: CamperMom]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I grind and brew Eight O`Clock French Roast (whole bean) at home. It's consistently good coffee at a decent price. You have to shop around for it though.

Some stores charge the same for it as Starbuck's or other premium coffees, but it's alway been a quality brand at a good price and those places are overcharging for it.

"You want to go where?"

#175337 - 02/25/13 06:12 PM Re: Gourmet Camp Coffee? [Re: billstephenson]
CamperMom Offline

I agree, 8 O'Clock is a decent brand of coffee. I often use it, too. Recently I found that Wegman's store brand coffee is also pretty good.

#175481 - 03/02/13 07:10 AM Re: Gourmet Camp Coffee? [Re: jbylake]
LoneStranger Offline

Loc: Maine
My wife and I both enjoy good coffee at home, grinding fresh most mornings. We have a beautiful blue enameled pot we use to drip brew when car camping but since that is a bit much to lug up a mountain I resort to instant on the trail.

My usual method is to mix one Via Italian roast with one Taster's Choice French roast in my 20oz cup. While both are quite vile alone, together they seem to cover up the others bad points leaving something that almost tastes like coffee. Being rather strong it also cuts down on any urge to linger over several cups in the morning. One of those and suddenly I'm packed up and on my way smile

Of course carrying two tiny coffee packets for each morning does add some weight to my pack but I make up for it by removing the cellophane from my hard candies. grin

#175495 - 03/02/13 05:47 PM Re: Gourmet Camp Coffee? [Re: jbylake]
lori Offline

Mt Hagen's instant beats them all by a mile. And you can get single packets now.

Much less expensive than Starbucks, too.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#175497 - 03/02/13 06:29 PM Re: Gourmet Camp Coffee? [Re: lori]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I like the Mt. Hagen instant, too, but I have to drive 30 miles to get it. However, I've come to prefer the Medaglio d'Oro, which doesn't cost so much in gasoline and wear and tear on the car in very heavy traffic because it's available in all three of my local supermarkets.

Edited by OregonMouse (03/02/13 06:33 PM)

#176134 - 04/01/13 11:18 AM Re: Gourmet Camp Coffee? [Re: jbylake]
Lorax Offline

I like a specialty coffee that I grind coarse for boiling "cowboy style" or in my mini french press.
I can't really recommend a good coffee for you because everyone's tastes are different, but the experience of that first cup on a frosty morning or looking out over a glass smooth misty lake early in the morning is almost more important than what brand is in the mug.

#176392 - 04/11/13 07:15 PM Re: Gourmet Camp Coffee? [Re: jbylake]
GunnyHuber Offline

Loc: Virginia
I actually find Via not strong enough and use two packets per cup. I have experimented with large tea bags putting 3/4 oz of expresso roast per bag and letting it steep for 5 min. but I am not sure I have my grind correct. I would love to find a great way to make coffee I could enjoy first thing in the morning. My usual at home is a double expresso and 1 1/2 oz of french roast to 6 oz of water on the side while I shower.

#177484 - 05/30/13 11:58 PM Re: Gourmet Camp Coffee? [Re: jbylake]
VanDan Offline

Loc: Vancouver, WA
I just wish I was man enough to drink coffee black. My wife even makes fun of me. All of the non dairy creamers are pretty gross. At any rate, the VIA is the best choice for instant coffee.

#177615 - 06/05/13 08:02 PM Re: Gourmet Camp Coffee? [Re: VanDan]
bluefish Offline

For lightness , ease, and octane rating I have finally settled on Via, but find it burnt tasting and hard to drink black. I've found mixing 2 packs via with one packet instant Nestle dark hot chocolate smooths it out well for my palate.

#184308 - 04/06/14 05:29 AM Re: Gourmet Camp Coffee? [Re: jbylake]
throwinglead Offline

I use SS canteens so I can boil all of my water in them. Then I take a bandana and place it over the opening and push it down a couple inches so that it is sitting in the water but the edges of the bandana that are still hanging over will keep it from falling in. Then I just scoop some coffee into the bandana and let it steep for however long.

Works great for me, and not as gritty as the cowboy coffee.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum