Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#174280 - 01/24/13 01:58 PM Re: Any on-trail experience with GSE for water purity? [Re: Rick_D]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
The Sawyer Squeeze and Sawyer Inline both filter to 0.01 microns absolute. They are basically the same filter. Both can be set up as part of a gravity system (no pumping, hooray!). They also have one that filters viruses, but that's also very prone to blockage. Viruses are not a problem unless you're downstream of human settlement, in which case I'd use chlorine dioxide for the viruses and then filter for the bigger stuff (especially protozoa, which can take as long as 4 hours to zap chemically).

I would not waste my time or risk my health on methods not recommended by the Centers for Disease Control. Your Mileage, of course, May Vary. I've never had giardia but my dog has--after spending half a day cleaning up my car after he "exploded," I treat most of his water, too!

After having a friend get a nasty case of giardia (confirmed by lab tests) after a trip in which the only time he didn't treat his water was where the spring was coming out of the hillside, I hesitate to suggest not treating except in emergencies. He was super careful about sanitation, too. It turns out that the camping area in question has been popular with hunters for many, many years and the ground water there is probably contaminated.

I've also hiked farther up what looked like a pristine mountain stream only to find a dead deer lying in it, another reason I treat nearly all my water.

Again, Your Mileage May and probably will Vary!

Re sanitation: Frequent hand-washing and use of hand sanitizer, especially after "potty" breaks and before handling food, are important to prevent Norovirus (a true nasty, prevalent on the Appalachian Trail last spring) and other infections. Also, if you get sick during your trip, it's probably not giardia, which has an incubation period of ~10-14 days. There are plenty of other bugs (e. coli and the above mentioned Norovirus) that can make you just as sick, but they are far more apt to spread through lack of handwashing than in the water.

Do note, in an emergency, that dehydration can kill you quite rapidly. Go ahead and drink whatever's available in that case. If you get sick from the water, it won't happen until you get home and are close to medical care. If you don't drink, you'll be dead before you get home!

#174283 - 01/24/13 02:58 PM Re: Any on-trail experience with GSE for water purity? [Re: OregonMouse]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
I got hooked on a Sawyer gravity-feed setup a couple years ago and it's now my favorite (having tried just about everything there is to try). It's simple, easy to use, field-servicable and perhaps best of all, I can wander off and do other things while it's working.

I use the "PointONE" system because I'm not typically worried about viruses. In a pinch (really cruddy source water) I can always toss in a ClO2 tablet, but that hasn't been an issue where I hike.

Cheers,

#174289 - 01/24/13 04:32 PM Re: Any on-trail experience with GSE for water purity? [Re: Rick_D]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I went to the Sawyer site and looked at the "Squeeze" and that is awesome. It's definitely a step up from the LifeStraw/Britta charcoal system I mentioned, and not that much more in initial cost.

OM, it's pretty easy to read a topo map and get a very good idea of the watershed feeding your source. If everything above you is wilderness for the watershed you're in you're not likely to find any bugs in a clear running spring.

Again, we have very good water here in the Ozarks, and where I'm at, we have lots of public and private forest land and a low density of population, so I'm at a pretty low risk here if I'm aware of my source. The same is true out west. You have some mining issues there you want to be aware of, but there are lots of places there you can drink right from the source and never have to worry about it. If you look at a population density map of the US you'll see why the AT has issues with water, it's not just people, but all the livestock and pets you have to account for as well.

Great water is like fine wine, but it never gets any better than a natural pristine source, and each has it's own unique character.

I search for natural springs here, and waypoint them when I find them. They're are one of the most precious things I find when I'm out bushwhacking and one of the main draws that gets me out there. So, the idea that I would filter and sanitize every source is not something I buy into. I'd rather not filter any of them, but I do if I'm taking from one that is not pristine.

I'll readily concede that if you're not comfortable with your ability to judge a source you should sanitize your water every time, but I think it's worth learning about the risks and how to evaluate them. There are springs in Texas that have some great water and I'd drink right from them and be thrilled and thankful to have the chance. I wouldn't think of filtering that water, that'd be just wrong to miss out on that opportunity.

"You want to go where?"

#174331 - 01/25/13 10:00 PM Re: Any on-trail experience with GSE for water purity? [Re: 4evrplan]
billstephenson Offline

Originally Posted By 4evrplan
Originally Posted By billstephenson
I'll sell you my katadyne hiker right now for $25 and wait for it. laugh

Don't know if you're serious, but that is pretty tempting. Nonetheless, for reasons all my own, I'd have to decline.

That's really not a great deal, the filter is old and the Sawyer Squeeze is a better option, so in the end you'd still spend the $50.

"You want to go where?"

#174332 - 01/25/13 10:10 PM Re: Any on-trail experience with GSE for water purity? [Re: finallyME]
billstephenson Offline

After all this talk about filters, and viruses, I saw this article on the norovirus today:

"New Norovirus Strain Rips Through The U.S."

So I started looking for natural treatments for a virus. That led me to this article on sauerkraut, which I think is pretty interesting. This especially got my attention:

"These probiotics kill off bad pathogens in the intestines such as bacteria, yeast and viruses."

Makes me wonder if putting a little juice from sauerkraut would sanitize water. Seems like it'd be worth looking into.

"You want to go where?"

#174333 - 01/25/13 10:30 PM Re: Any on-trail experience with GSE for water purity? [Re: billstephenson]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Bill, my German heritage is demanding I stop thinking you're messin' with us. grin

Between Sauerkraut und Kimchi we won't need anything else!

Cheers,

#174342 - 01/26/13 02:46 PM Re: Any on-trail experience with GSE for water purity? [Re: Rick_D]
billstephenson Offline

Originally Posted By Rick_D
Bill, my German heritage is demanding I stop thinking you're messin' with us. grin

Between Sauerkraut und Kimchi we won't need anything else!

Cheers,

lol

I don't know if it will keep me safe from a norovirus but I'm going to make some Sauerkraut today using that recipe because it sounds so good (and it's really easy). I hope I can find a cabbage! laugh

"You want to go where?"

#174347 - 01/26/13 04:54 PM Re: Any on-trail experience with GSE for water purity? [Re: billstephenson]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Preserved meats, pickles and sauerkraut are, BTW, definitely implicated in stomach cancer. My ex-husband (from eastern Europe) died of it as did his father, thus putting our children at high risk. Scary--it's one of those cancers that is usually not caught until it's too late do do anything about it.

#174352 - 01/26/13 06:47 PM Re: Any on-trail experience with GSE for water purity? [Re: OregonMouse]
billstephenson Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
Preserved meats, pickles and sauerkraut are, BTW, definitely implicated in stomach cancer. My ex-husband (from eastern Europe) died of it as did his father, thus putting our children at high risk. Scary--it's one of those cancers that is usually not caught until it's too late do do anything about it.

We're talking about fermented cabbage, it's good for you. From the article:

"And more good news: Some studies show fermented cabbage has compounds that may prevent the growth of cancer."

"You want to go where?"

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum