Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#174108 - 01/20/13 10:45 AM Intro Post
JAC0302 Offline

Loc: SOCAL
I'm unsure if there is a sticky to post these, but I wanted to make an intro post as I began my time here.

I came across this place after reading a few post on Backpackinglite forums, and then finding a recommendation at candlepower forums. Both were random visits, but I think I may have found a new home.

I'm a currently-serving US Marine infantryman living and working aboard Camp Pendleton. I've been at it for over 20 years, have carried a lot of heavy loads a long way, but never got into doing it outside my profession. After arthroscopic surgery to repair a meniscus tear and generally weakening knee, I hike for exercise to avoid the impact of long distance running. My most memorable hikes are marching in the 'heavy' category at the Bataan Death March Memorial Marathon, and a 12-hr forced march along jungle goat trails from Camp Schwab to Camp Hansen on Okinawa, Japan many moons ago.

I think I'd consider myself most knowledgeable about multi-day hiking, since I've mostly carried existence loads, and I enjoyed the odd looks when I've pulled out a DIY penny stove in the field. I enjoy the outdoors and the feel of a crisp morning after a good night's sleep, and hope to make a few hiking acquaintances to share safe hike times with around SOCAL and the W. Coast.

-Jon

ETA: I forgot to mention that I use gear built primarily for mil purposes, hate the fact that our procurement folks have said, "Here's your new type pack," to us three times in the past 12 yrs (but each new pack wasn't better or lighter). I also wanted to hike the AT since I was eight or so, and saw a Nat Geo article on it.

Edited by JAC0302 (01/20/13 02:04 PM)

#174113 - 01/20/13 11:40 AM Re: Intro Post [Re: JAC0302]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Welcome! I'm further north in the state of Jefferson, otherwise the real N Kalifornia, not San Fran.
Another new pack. That's what bugs me about our gov'ment, the waste, spending on junk or over priced stuff.
Enjoy the outdoors, I've been out 3 times already this winter snow camping. A little crisper than cool mornings in the summer. Looking forward to longer days, at least here soon.
Duane

#174114 - 01/20/13 11:41 AM Re: Intro Post [Re: JAC0302]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Welcome.

#174115 - 01/20/13 01:53 PM Re: Intro Post [Re: JAC0302]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Welcome Jon!

Be sure to read the articles, dig through the forum archives and ask lots of questions. You can outfit yourself at a fraction of the weight Uncle Sam says you should carry, and more comfortably to boot. But don't spend your hard-earned money before doing a lot of research--there's a LOT of gear available.

It's hiking heaven in the west, even if the high mountains are a seasonal pleasure. It would be hard to find a better place to start.

Good luck with the knee!

Cheers,

#174116 - 01/20/13 02:21 PM Re: Intro Post [Re: Rick_D]
JAC0302 Offline

Thank you all for the welcome.

Outside of finding a good pair of shoes/boots to help with the knee in future ventures, I'm trying to stay on top of good ways to cut the infantryman's load, from the ounces equal pounds, and pounds equal... aspect.

To that end, I continue to use predominantly issued gear and clothing and strive to be as minimalist with it as possible. One of my enduring projects is to work towards a standard loadout that allows us to get down to a 45 liter pack and avoid the current 80L behemoth we were saddled with a year ago (FILBE).

I'll have to remain in the 500 denier world for some time to come. grin

#174120 - 01/21/13 01:00 AM Re: Intro Post [Re: JAC0302]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Some of the earliest backpacking experiences I had were in the Army, and I have to say that I didn't at all miss wearing a steel pot or carrying rifle and ammunition and, and ... plus it's a whole lot nicer to walk on a trail than move tactically through the woods. There aren't many military items I'd be inclined to carry now, but things might have changed I suppose in the 30 years since I got out! :-)

My question is about your aspiration to hike the AT: you live in SoCal, why not the PCT? IMO it's overall a better trail. Clearly if it's the AT stuck in your imagination, do hike it --- it's a great trail too. Just not AS great unless your focus is on the culture/history/geography aspect of the east, or you like the idea of sleeping in shelters or something like that.

#174133 - 01/21/13 11:54 AM Re: Intro Post [Re: BrianLe]
JAC0302 Offline

The AT was just a young boy's dream years ago, with no context to frame it against. I will look into the PCT, though at this stage of my life, a hike any further than five days is all but impossible for now.

The equipment has gotten lighter, but also weaker in some respects, unfortunately.

Edited by JAC0302 (01/21/13 11:55 AM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum