Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#174251 - 01/24/13 10:36 AM Re: How to keep my back warm? [Re: 4evrplan]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
Originally Posted By 4evrplan
@topshot

I think I've seen your tent at some point (very nice looking tent by the way), but I was talking about this:

Homemade tents

and:

An 18 oz 2-Man Shelter

Ah, well I was the one that started that thread, and helped Mr. Geist refine his design and materials. wink Others have since helped carry it farther, too.

#174262 - 01/24/13 11:24 AM Re: How to keep my back warm? [Re: topshot]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Oh okay, it's good to put a face with a name/screen-name. I'm really looking forward to reading that polycryo tarp thread as well. Thanks. And, thanks for helping to push homemade shelter materials and techniques forward.

#174267 - 01/24/13 11:47 AM Re: How to keep my back warm? [Re: 4evrplan]
topshot Offline

Originally Posted By 4evrplan
Oh okay, it's good to put a face with a name/screen-name. I'm really looking forward to reading that polycryo tarp thread as well. Thanks. And, thanks for helping to push homemade shelter materials and techniques forward.
MYOG is pretty fun. Just wish I got out more to use it! :P

#174271 - 01/24/13 12:18 PM Re: How to keep my back warm? [Re: topshot]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Quote:
No, I rarely make fires for LNT reasons.

Yeah, having a campfire has a lot to do with where you camp. You can have a fire here and LNT. The NFS does controlled burns every few years and it's really amazing how fast almost every trace is gone. I figured that since you're in the midwest you might have tried it out.

All you need is a small fire made with sticks, and that's easy to burn down to ash and scatter when you're done, then recover the spot with the same mulch you removed when preparing your spot and you've pretty much left no trace and what you have left will be untraceable after a rainstorm or two. You can't get away with that in most of the Sierras, but you can in the Ozarks.

You might want to try it in your backyard just for grins. If you make a clear plastic (visqueen) panel for the door, like your storm door, and pin the tarp down close to the ground it should work great as a "Super Shelter". I use bubble foil as a ground cloth in my campfire tent, but a heat sheet should work about as good.

I've been thinking of making one a lot like yours (I'm pretty sure I have watched your video before) because it's so much faster and easier to pitch, but the room in the Baker's Tent design is so sweet that I've not been impelled yet. (therein lies my real motivation for prodding you to try yours wink )

"You want to go where?"

#174281 - 01/24/13 02:05 PM Re: How to keep my back warm? [Re: billstephenson]
topshot Offline

Rather than continuing to derail the OP's thread, I'll continue the LDPE/polycryo tent discussion on a more related thread for those that wish to follow it.

#174605 - 02/03/13 12:26 PM Re: How to keep my back warm? [Re: billstephenson]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Bill - I have now tried the bubble wrap you sent me and it seems to work great, except if I put my weight on my elbow on the bubble wrap, the bubbles pop. The bubble wrap weighs a bit more than the REI blue foam, but it really packs down more compactly. I just used the bubble wrap this weekend at Pt Reyes. I had lots of condensation on top of the bubble wrap. This is coastal camping with heavy dew every morning, so I am not sure that this would not happen for most types of pads. I also use an x-small pro-lite on top of the bubble wrap because the bubble wrap is not cushy enough for my old hips.

#174620 - 02/03/13 03:19 PM Re: How to keep my back warm? [Re: wandering_daisy]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I'm glad you've got to try it a bit. I sent you "double bubble" and since then I've been using "single bubble". It's half as thick and half the weight, but it still works just as good for reflecting your body heat back at you. I use it under a neoair pad and for me that's a pretty sweet set-up. It's tough enough to protect the neoair on our rough ground here, which would shred one otherwise, and you can fold it for a sitting pad. It will provide a pretty good cushion like that and keep you warm. So I've found it to be pretty useful for backpacking.

That material does collect moisture though. My campfire tent, which is made of the same kind of stuff, was just about at the point where it would have been raining inside when I woke up the last time I used it. I was camping next to a creek and had it closed up pretty tight because it rained a lot that night, so I guess that was a worst case scenario, but had I bumped the walls I would have created a downburst. laugh

"You want to go where?"

#174837 - 02/07/13 09:24 PM Re: How to keep my back warm? [Re: billstephenson]
djtrekker Offline

Loc: Virginia
I love this forum for the great info on DIY. I never would have thought to be more creative with my equipment, I guess I've been kind of "store-bound."

I used a prolite pad for about 8 years before I started to have real issues with it leaking/springing leaks. After it deflated on a snow camp I cashed it in, but I replaced it with a Z-lite pad and I'm very happy with it. I just stuff extra clothes under me if needed. Fortunately, I sleep well on the pad, even better than in a normal bed, where I get the firmest mattress I can.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 55 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum