Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#173356 - 12/31/12 01:16 PM measuring/estimating cubic inches?
brollins Offline

Any clever ideas for measuring/estimating the cubic inches of your gear? I'm thinking about an internal frame pack to replace my old external frame and would like to get an idea of what size I want to look at. My gear has pretty much stabilized at about 25 lbs base weight. Of course, that includes an awkward bear canister.

#173361 - 12/31/12 02:07 PM Re: measuring/estimating cubic inches? [Re: brollins]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Best solution is to find the model of your old backpack and look up the specs online ...

Failing that, I don't know. If you can reuse the water afterwards for watering plants or something, getting a contractor bag and filling it with water could work, then measuring out the water in whatever measuring devices you have available (a funnel and gallon jugs if nothing else). Awkward/heavy, though, and could get wet/messy ...

To get in the ballpark, at least, stuff it full of whatever --- clothing, newspaper, etc, and take external measurements to get at least a reasonable approximation.

Kind of a fun challenge!

#173362 - 12/31/12 02:09 PM Re: measuring/estimating cubic inches? [Re: BrianLe]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Wait, re-reading your post, are you asking about cubic inches of each individual gear item?

I wouldn't go that approach at all. Various things are more or less compressible, so it's a tough call that way. Better IMO is to fill your existing pack with that gear, see how much room is left over, and then get the capacity of your existing pack.

#173363 - 12/31/12 02:32 PM Re: measuring/estimating cubic inches? [Re: brollins]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Fill it with packing peanuts, including pockets, etc. empty the peanuts into a box, then measure and multiply to get the volume. (231 ci=1 gal).

That will give you a ballpark to begin comparing in. If you regularly strapped gear to your external frame pack, be sure to include that in your calcs.

Cheers,

#173364 - 12/31/12 02:44 PM Re: measuring/estimating cubic inches? [Re: Rick_D]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
Or you could measure your pack frame multiply H x W x L ( most old framed packs are square)this will give you cubic inches, at least close enough for size estimation.

Edited by rockchucker22 (12/31/12 03:24 PM)

#173369 - 12/31/12 04:56 PM Re: measuring/estimating cubic inches? [Re: brollins]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Are you trying to measure the volume of your existing pack, or the volume you need to hold the gear you have?

If it's the volume of the existing pack, the packing-peanut method should work well.

If it's the volume of your stuff, I'd suggest that you get a large box, and put your gear in it (compressing anything that would be compressed in the pack, like your sleeping bag.) Then mark the inside of the box at the height of the load. Empty it out, then measure length, width, and depth, and do the math. (Divide cubic inches by 60 to get an approximation of the liters.) I'd allow some extra volume when shopping for packs, simply because you'll end up with some unused space (such as in the lid) because gear won't fit in the pack like it does in the box.

#173374 - 12/31/12 06:38 PM Re: measuring/estimating cubic inches? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Packing peaanuts will give you a crude estimate. For real accuracy, employ organically grown , fair traded flax seed harvested by maidens during the night of the harvest moon and aged in oaken barrels for fifty years.....

To be somewhat more serious, somewhat similar techniques are used successfully to measure irregular volumes like the interior of skulls or ceramic vessels.

#173380 - 12/31/12 09:38 PM Re: measuring/estimating cubic inches? [Re: oldranger]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
Originally Posted By oldranger
Packing peaanuts will give you a crude estimate. For real accuracy, employ organically grown , fair traded flax seed harvested by maidens during the night of the harvest moon and aged in oaken barrels for fifty years.....

To be somewhat more serious, somewhat similar techniques are used successfully to measure irregular volumes like the interior of skulls or ceramic vessels.
Ha that's great. Or you could use rice, beans, cat litter, sand, any other imaginable small object.

#173384 - 12/31/12 10:58 PM Re: measuring/estimating cubic inches? [Re: brollins]
brollins Offline

Ha, WONDERFUL suggestions. Since I'm trying to find out how big a pack I need to carry all my gear, I may go with the "pack a box" estimate. That is, until I can plan to check out the flax seed harvesting operation... By full moon, you say....

#173395 - 01/01/13 06:09 PM Re: measuring/estimating cubic inches? [Re: brollins]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
BTW, the Rick's way is the way many manufacturers measure their packs.(some use ping pong balls)
Because most packs have very irregular shapes it is pretty much impossible doing it another way.
As far as using the given measurements (manufacturers specs) take those with a grain of salt because they can be rounded off (IE 50/60/70 L) or simply include the theoretically possible volume of the pockets.
Theory and practice here differ because in most cases you cannot get the same volume in those pockets when when the pack is also full compared to when it's empty...
You could always make several 5-10 L bags filled with those polystyrene balls and take those to the shop and see if they fit inside a pack.

#173429 - 01/03/13 12:11 AM Re: measuring/estimating cubic inches? [Re: Franco]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Find an appropriately sized cardboard box. Put in all your gear plus equivalent in weight and bulk of a week's food. Level off the top. Measure volume (length x width x height). If you want liters, for rough estimates, 1 liter equals approximately 60 cubic inches. The weight is also important because pack manufacturers specify a maximum weight (subtract 5 lbs. from their number).

Be sure to have the gear available to load into the pack when you get it! That's why it's strongly recommended that you buy the pack last. You should load up the pack with all our gear and take a couple hours' "hike" around the house while you can still return the pack.

Edited by OregonMouse (01/03/13 12:27 AM)

#173500 - 01/04/13 06:00 PM Re: measuring/estimating cubic inches?Pac [Re: brollins]
PDA Offline

Pack your currect pack with the gear and consumables you would ordinarily use. Go to REI or similar. See which pack will take all your gear and try walking around the store with it. BTW, REI have nothing in cubic inches any more.

#173531 - 01/05/13 02:59 PM Re: measuring/estimating cubic inches?Pac [Re: PDA]
Franco Offline

REI have nothing in cubic inches any more.

As long as they sell packs they will have them in cubic inches...

100 cu = 1.639 L

#173557 - 01/05/13 11:22 PM Re: measuring/estimating cubic inches?Pac [Re: PDA]
GinAndClonic Offline

Originally Posted By PDA
REI have nothing in cubic inches any more.

This is not entirely true, at least the Product Information Guide for backpacks that is in the physical stores list all the backpacks that REI carries, and the Liters and Cubic Inches for each (including weight in oz., size, etc.)

#173571 - 01/06/13 12:08 PM Re: measuring/estimating cubic inches?Pac [Re: GinAndClonic]
PDA Offline

Oops.My error. I was just looking at the pack names rather than the descriptions.

#173576 - 01/06/13 06:23 PM Re: measuring/estimating cubic inches?Pac [Re: PDA]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Since a lot of pack makers are using liters, it's useful to know the conversion.

BPL has done some reviews of backpacks that show that most manufacturer's volume measurements aren't very accurate anyway, so the 1 liter = 60 cubic inches is close enough. (As we used to say when I worked for a government contractor, "Close enough for government work.") However, it's far, far better to try the pack out with the actual gear you'll be putting in it. The pack has to be comfortable for you carrying your gear, and there's only one way to find that out!

Edited by OregonMouse (01/06/13 06:24 PM)

#173580 - 01/06/13 07:20 PM Re: measuring/estimating cubic inches?Pac [Re: OregonMouse]
Franco Offline

Yes.
Just yesterday I spotted a comment from a guy saying " how comfortable" a certain pack is,for him, carrying 40lbs.
Problem is: that pack is uncomfortable (for me) at 30 lbs.
Comfort is of course related to what we know or are used to.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum