Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#173400 - 01/01/13 10:33 PM New to the forum
ChevyFan Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Hello. I am new to the forum and somewhat new to backpacking. I just recently got into backpacking so I have a lot to learn.

This is my current list. I don't have everything that I need and there is a lot that needs to be replaced with lighter gear. I would like some help finding good quality lighter gear.

Pack:
North Face Terra 45: 3 lbs 14 oz

Shelter:
Hammock w/ bug net: 18 oz
Poncho shelter: 9.5 oz

Sleeping:
Flannel bag liner: 18 oz (for summer)
Camp Pillow: 10.75 oz (want to replace)

Cooking:
Cup(fits on Nalgene bottle): 5.75 oz
Tea Kettle: 9 oz (want to eliminate or replace)
Sea to Summit Spork: 0.37 oz
Nalgene water bottle: 6.5 oz (want to replace)

Tools:
Fire Starter: 0.9 oz
Waterproof matches: 0.5 oz
20 ft paracord: 1.5 oz
Headlamp: 2.6 oz
First Aid: 1.5 oz

This is almost everything that I have. I plan on either getting a tent and down bag or just using the hammock and getting a quilt and tarp. I also plan on making an alcohol stove. I live in MN and camp year round. I would like to be able to hike the AT all the way through. My goal is to get everything that I would need and to be as light as possible. All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#173401 - 01/01/13 10:38 PM Re: New to the forum [Re: ChevyFan]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
So check out the information on this site first---there are quite a few articles and message threads on this topic. You'll find a lot of good advice, and some differing opinions on what works, and what works best.

You can also check out our website, which has our own list for backpacking in the sierra.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#173403 - 01/02/13 01:48 AM Re: New to the forum [Re: balzaccom]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
As I am sure you realize, your list is fairly incomplete, so check some of the gear lists on the site for examples of what to carry in different seasons. The long distance hikers can advise you on AT gear. Plus sites like whiteblaze that are AT or long distance hiking specific are great sources.

You say you are in MN and camp all year round. I know from another site I belong to, plus general info on weather in the Midwest, that winter in MN is brutally cold. Your list doesn't even come close to being enough for winter camping in MN, so not sure what you mean.

#173404 - 01/02/13 03:22 AM Re: New to the forum [Re: TomD]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Quote:
"Plus sites like whiteblaze that are AT or long distance hiking specific are great sources."

I hope no one objects to sort of pointing you elsewhere, but whiteblaze.net really is THE place to look for information when you're prepping to hike the AT. http://www.whiteblaze.net

People regularly submit their current gear list for others to review and give feedback on there, very typically with an AT thru-hike focus; a couple posts like that just went up today, in fact. You can search for those, and definitely look in the "articles" there too.

This (backpacking.net) site offers great help with a great environment and nice people, but is a bit more general purpose. You can certainly get all the packing list prep help you need here! On whiteblaze, however, you'll get feedback from a lot more folks who have experience hiking the AT in sections, chunks, or all in one go.

In terms of your specific gear, if thru-hiking the AT is a key criteria in your selection, then it would be helpful to know if you have any a priori intentions as to what time of year you would plan to start --- typical start dates for northbound hikes are in March or April, but some folks start earlier or later. It makes a difference in the optimal gear to carry. Also, consider whether you'll be able and want to own or borrow gear to be able to swap out an item or two as the seasons change along the way. Not required, but can be nice to keep the weight down in the warmer months.

So for example, a hammock requires insulation UNDER the hammock as well as on top unless you're in pretty warm weather. It's also a really bad fit with a bag liner, IMO --- sounds like a whole lot of needless wriggling around. I am not a fan of bag liners in general, and certainly not an 18 oz liner! Or is this "liner" really a lightweight sleeping bag??
Camp pillow: pretty individual choice; some use spare clothes, others pack light enough that they have no spare clothes on colder nights. I personally use a (montbell brand) inflatable.
An alcohol stove is a fine choice. Is the cup that fits on the Nalgene bottle for cooking in? I suggest replacing the Nalgene with soda pop and/or gatorade plastic bottles. Tea kettle: I don't do hot drinks, but even so it strikes me as a bit gonzo to have a separate metal item just to heat tea in.

You've got quite a lot of gear to obtain/replace. I suggest you think in terms of DIY if you're inclined at all that way (Do It Yourself, i.e., make some of your own gear) and/or identify what you want and watch and wait to buy on sale or buy second hand. Plus the usual suggestions of knowing what to look for in thrift stores, even military surplus outlets perhaps (and perhaps not, do make sure you've done your homework).

There are some great books out there on going light, too --- including a couple new ones this year, one by Andrew Skurka, another by Justin Lichter, and various others such as by Mike Clelland, Ray Jardine, and others (I can come up with a longer list if you like!). Have a look at your local library to see which of these are available; check it out and read it through. Before you buy any more gear.

#173411 - 01/02/13 10:50 AM Re: New to the forum [Re: BrianLe]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Here is a blog by a 14 year old kid who slept out in a hammock almost every weekend for the last year. He lives in Minnesota.

http://52nog.blogspot.com/2012/12/week-52.html

#173418 - 01/02/13 05:05 PM Re: New to the forum [Re: BrianLe]
ChevyFan Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Thanks for the link to the other site and for your feedback.

I do realize that my list is missing a few things. I left some out because I didn't know the weight and I know that I am replacing them. I have been using a synthetic bag which weighs a ton, and a tent that I just got rid of because it tore. I haven't decided if I want to get a new tent or just use the hammock and get a good quilt for winter camping.

The sleeping bag liner is more of a lightweight bag that I used as a liner in the winter. It will most likely be replaced by a down bag or a quilt. I will definitely be getting rid of the Nalgene bottle. The cup that goes on it is for cooking and drinking out of. I will either keep it or replace it with a lighter one. The kettle is also just for boiling water for my food. I didn't use it for tea I just called it a tea kettle because that's what it looks like. I will be getting rid of this because I don't need two things to boil water in. The camp pillow will definitely be replaced with a stuff bag with a soft side that I can use as a pillow. I can't remember who makes it but it only weighs 1 oz.

I would love to start the AT this year in March but that most likely won't happen. Unless I get all the gear that I need and feel that I am ready physically I won't be going this year. It is just a future goal that I would like to reach. Getting the gear and being lightweight is on the top of the list.

I will be checking out whiteblaze.net and looking for some books on going light. Thanks again for all the advice.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum