Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#173039 - 12/13/12 04:48 PM Help with decision on MontBell Super Spiral Burrow
SashaV Offline

I am looking for a very unrestricting sleeping bag and Mont Bell ones seem to be good candidates due to using specific stitch design and stretchy thread.
I am wondering how strongly this stretchy thread will squeeze me.
If I get into the bag wearing puffy jacket and pants, will the thread in the bag exert too much pressure and compress the clothing I am wearing thus eliminating its insulating value?
Or is it just a gentle pressure that will not eliminate loft in clothing I am wearing?
I am trying to decide between a large semi-rectangular (or even rectangular) bag in which I will have plenty of space and be able to put to good use my puffy clothing as temperature dictates, and Mont Bell, the advantage of Mont Bell is lighter weight, but the pressure of thread would negate any advantages if that stretchy thread decreases loft of my cloths.
Does anyone have some experience with this bag and could say if I should stay away from it considering my predicament?

#173120 - 12/16/12 11:01 PM Re: Help with decision on MontBell Super Spiral Burrow [Re: SashaV]
coloradowalt Offline

I have one and its not that tight on me (and I'm a big fella). I have moved on to a quilt so I have a lightly used Mont Bell Ultra Light Super Spiral Down Hugger #3 Long Left Zipper for sale smile

#173124 - 12/17/12 09:36 AM Re: Help with decision on MontBell Super Spiral Burrow [Re: SashaV]
lori Offline

I am curious about a couple of things. Why would you want to wear a jacket inside the bag? What temperatures are you trying to sleep in?

I never use a bag in three season conditions because I found them to be too constricting. For temperatures down to the mid 20s (f) I use a quilt and don't require additional insulation. Some quilt users will get to 0 before switching to bags (there are 0 degree quilts).

Too many layers can be self defeating. If you bundle up so much that it restricts your own blood flow, you'll have trouble staying warm.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#173130 - 12/17/12 01:38 PM Re: Help with decision on MontBell Super Spiral Burrow [Re: lori]
SashaV Offline

Hi Lori,

The reason for wearing the jacket inside the bag is to make the most use of every item I carry with me, I want as little dead weight as possible. Temperature could be around -10C.
Since I need an insulating jacket to carry with me anyway, I would rather get a lighter sleeping bag and augment its temperature rating with clothing.
I am eying 40F rated synthetic Montbell, and it seems to be a good candidate if it is not going to reduce the loft of my clothing. With this approach I can go down to much lower temperature using lightweight bag. It would not be too many layers, and far from restricting blood flow.
I tried sleeping a couple of times without any bag at all, just a good insulating pad and synthetic insulation cloths and loved it, with a light bag on top of that I would be in heaven.

#173133 - 12/17/12 03:02 PM Re: Help with decision on MontBell Super Spiral Burrow [Re: SashaV]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Unless you have the metabolism of a polar bear, I don't see this working out. I have used my parka over my bag, not in it and that works fairly well, but not to compensate for a 25 degree temp differential. -10C is +14. I do not see how a +40 bag and parka will work at that temperature differential unless you have a parka like mine (or similar) which is a TNF Baltoro (new model renamed Himalayan) which is a $600 down parka designed for sub zero temps. I have used a -5C (+23F) bag in temps down to around -10C with an MEC overbag or my parka on top wearing Capilene midweight base layer top and bottom and been warm and I am a cold sleeper. My parka weighs as much or more as a lot of sleeping bags.

I've never used a quilt, so I will defer to those who have. Ray Jardine makes inexpensive quilt kits and he has used them for years in cold weather. All the info is on his website (www.ray-way.com). I think a few of the members here may have one.

Edited by TomD (12/17/12 03:03 PM)

#173146 - 12/17/12 09:57 PM Re: Help with decision on MontBell Super Spiral Burrow [Re: TomD]
SashaV Offline

Tom,

My experience tells me it would work. The nights I mentioned, spent in my lofty clothes and without sleeping bag, were quite cold, I cannot say for sure how cold but certainly below 0C since the water in bottles I had inside of tent froze.
I was getting somewhat cold during early morning hours, especially my feet as they were not properly insulated (just some thick wool socks).
If I had a light sleeping bag to crawl into with all my clothes on I would be quite comfortable.
It all makes sense to me, there is much thinner layer of air you have to keep warm when wearing properly sized insulating clothes (puffy jacket and pants, socks, gloves) in comparison to sleeping just in a bag with some midweight clothing. Quilt would not work for me, I move a lot during the night, and I would keep losing warm air as I toss around.
There is one more advantage to this approach I have, I also tried one of those extremely light emergency bags with reflective surface, those weight nothing and work incredibly well, the only problem is condensation inside, so if it gets extremely cold I could put bag inside it, the condensation would wet the bag and not my clothes. Such contraption would let me sleep in even colder environment.

#173147 - 12/17/12 10:35 PM Re: Help with decision on MontBell Super Spiral Burrow [Re: SashaV]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I'm a latecomer to the thread, but for what you're suggesting (based on your later responses), you might want to look at the Western Mountaineering Mitylite bag. It's semi-rectangular, hoodless, and has two zippers (side and bottom) so you can unzip it to use like a quilt, but still leave the bottom zipper closed to make a footbox. It's a 40 degree bag, but I think it's conservatively rated. Sleeping in longjohns (top and bottom), down booties, down hooded jacket, down pants and maybe down mittens, on a Thermarest Prolite 4 pad (3/4 length), in my backyard, I stayed warm to about 15 or 20 degrees - at which point I got chilly and went inside. I can't remember if I was zipped into the bag or using it quilt-style, with the edges tucked in pretty good.

#173150 - 12/17/12 11:31 PM Re: Help with decision on MontBell Super Spiral Burrow [Re: SashaV]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By SashaV
Tom,

My experience tells me it would work. The nights I mentioned, spent in my lofty clothes and without sleeping bag, were quite cold, I cannot say for sure how cold but certainly below 0C since the water in bottles I had inside of tent froze.
I was getting somewhat cold during early morning hours, especially my feet as they were not properly insulated (just some thick wool socks).
If I had a light sleeping bag to crawl into with all my clothes on I would be quite comfortable.
It all makes sense to me, there is much thinner layer of air you have to keep warm when wearing properly sized insulating clothes (puffy jacket and pants, socks, gloves) in comparison to sleeping just in a bag with some midweight clothing. Quilt would not work for me, I move a lot during the night, and I would keep losing warm air as I toss around.
There is one more advantage to this approach I have, I also tried one of those extremely light emergency bags with reflective surface, those weight nothing and work incredibly well, the only problem is condensation inside, so if it gets extremely cold I could put bag inside it, the condensation would wet the bag and not my clothes. Such contraption would let me sleep in even colder environment.

The quilt is for me, precisely because I move so much. I hated being trapped and wrapped up in a sleeping bag trying to get out. With quilts I'm able to tuck back in and hardly need to any more - since I sleep so well with them I only wake up a few times in the night.

The other half of any sleeping system (for ground sleepers) has to be a good insulated pad. If you don't have one that would be why you are cold sleeping in just the jacket and pants. The insulation underneath will compress and leave you cold no matter what you use.

I don't know what emergency blanket will keep you comfortably warm below freezing - never met one warm enough to even be part of my usual sleep system. But a vapor barrier is a different sort of approach and I'd only consider it in subzero temps, which I won't do if I can help it.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#173222 - 12/22/12 02:09 AM Re: Help with decision on MontBell Super Spiral Burrow [Re: SashaV]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Well. all I can say is try it out and see what happens. I personally don't like the idea of sleeping in my clothes, but if that works for you, then go for it. One thing I don't like about your idea is the possibility of getting the inside of my bag any dirtier than it would otherwise with just me and my base layer inside it. I've tried sleeping with a jacket on and find it really annoying since I tend to thrash about a bit before I fall asleep.

There really is no one answer that is perfect for everyone, unless, of course, you are Douglas Adams, in which case the answer is "42." And yes, I will explain that to anyone who asks.

Edited by TomD (12/22/12 02:13 AM)

#173223 - 12/22/12 08:37 AM Re: Help with decision on MontBell Super Spiral Burrow [Re: TomD]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
So, I take it that you consider one of the ten essentials to be your towel?

Merry Christmas, Tom.

#173227 - 12/22/12 12:48 PM Re: Help with decision on MontBell Super Spiral Burrow [Re: SashaV]
llamero Offline

Loc: western Oregon
I crawled into a MontBell spiral bag wearing my winter shirt, pants and socks at the store and was surprised to find it roomy enough to allow for my tossing and turning. The bag was not oversized. Sometimes I need to get up in a hurry at night and check on the llamas so I sleep in tight fitting undergarments, but never in a loose fitting jacket. During the coldest weather I drape my down jacket over the bag.

I was considering replacement of my Sierra Designs Rip Van Winkle which has elastic around the knees. I did not replace it and that is my only experience with the MontBell.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum