Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#172894 - 12/10/12 10:03 PM Impulse Buy Platypus bottle with Holster???
jbylake Offline

Loc: Northern KY USA
I bought one of these collapsable platypus bottles with the insulating holster on an impulse. They were normally about $30 bucks, but was on the clearance table at Dick's for $15.00.
I thought that the bottle (1 liter) being kind of "moldable" would fit better in the mesh pockets in the side of my pack better than something like a naglene bottle. Supposedly keeps warm warm and cold cold. I thought it might be good in the winter and summer. Just curious if anyone has any experience with these? I'm planning on taking it on a "Winter" trip in Jan, in OH. I have no idea how the weather will be, but it can get very cold. Also thought it'd be cool for keeping water or gatorade cool in the summer. Just wondered if I threw away $15.00 or not. Here it is.....
Thanks,
J. sick

#172895 - 12/10/12 10:50 PM Re: Impulse Buy Platypus bottle with Holster??? [Re: jbylake]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
We're fans of these bottles, for exactly the reasons you have suggested. We like the fact that they fold up when they are empty, and even when they are partially full, eliminating that annoying gurgling noise as you hike.

We haven't tried the insulating sock...in the summer, the water is usually icy cold anyway, so we're happy to drink it at that temp!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#172896 - 12/10/12 10:55 PM Re: Impulse Buy Platypus bottle with Holster??? [Re: balzaccom]
jbylake Offline

Thanks...I was more concerned with it keeping water from freezing in the tent at night, or turning into slush while hiking. I don't have the temps that you'd have out west, in the Rocky Mtn's, or the North East, but it can get very, very cold here. When I say that, I mean -20 to -30 for a night or two, which would be pretty routine for a lot of you, but can make for really cold weather here. And, at 15 bucks, I thought it'd be worth a try.

J.

#172903 - 12/11/12 06:17 AM Re: Impulse Buy Platypus bottle with Holster??? [Re: jbylake]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I've always been a fan of the Nalgene bottles, but I've tried Platy bottles in the past, and really like them. I'm in the process of switching to a Sawyer Squeeze filter, which is made to work well with Platy bottles. I have found that, on the more open mesh of some pack pockets, that the ones with the squared off bottoms tend to get caught in the open mesh. Finer mesh or fabric pockets don't seem to have these problems.

I haven't tried the holster, but its smoother corners might solve the snagging problem.(If it does, be sure to keep a good eye on yours on our trip! smile )

One minor correction: it commonly gets to 20 or 30, sometimes hits zero or 5 below, but almost never hits 20 or 30 below around here. If it gets to 20 below on our January trip, you'll be camping by yourself - the rest of us will wimp out on you big-time! smile

Edited by Glenn Roberts (12/11/12 08:42 AM)

#172911 - 12/11/12 11:30 AM Re: Impulse Buy Platypus bottle with Holster??? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
I don't think they make insulation that will keep a water bottle from freezing solid overnight in temps around zero F. I am afraid that the only way to do this is to sleep with your water bottle!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#172929 - 12/11/12 04:30 PM Re: Impulse Buy Platypus bottle with Holster??? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
jbylake Offline

Yes, I was typing and not watching. Temps can get down to 10 to 20, not - 20 or -30. I did move into U.D. Grad Housing once, and talked my cousin into helping me. laugh It was down to about 5 degree's and he lost one of his gloves. I had to get a Sock out for a spare glove. Took him for a steak afterwards and all was forgiven....

J.

#172930 - 12/11/12 04:32 PM Re: Impulse Buy Platypus bottle with Holster??? [Re: balzaccom]
jbylake Offline

Originally Posted By balzaccom
I don't think they make insulation that will keep a water bottle from freezing solid overnight in temps around zero F. I am afraid that the only way to do this is to sleep with your water bottle!

Thanks Balzaccom. The package didn't give any specific temperature range.

J.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum