Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#172841 - 12/10/12 08:22 AM Kindle question
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
Not sure where else to put this.

For those of you that have a Kindle/Nook/ereader.

What made you select your particular choice? Can a Nook read Kindle books? Can any tablet be used to read any format or are some formats proprietary? Can one read newspapers on an eReader of any brand?

Can one use the Kindle Fire to email photos? I'm referring to photos taken with a digital camera. Is there a USB port or something to transfer photos from the camera to the Kindle?

I've been monitoring eBay for an under $20 including shipping Kindle but haven't been lucky so far. If I spend more than that I think I would prefer a tablet, maybe the Kindle Fire, to check email and forums like this one. But I'm not ready to drop the $300+ to get it and accessories. So far my netbook is still working (well two keys have died but who needs the number zero or to close parenthesis?) but I don't usually read books on it. I do have regular travel situations where a small eReader would be nice to have but I hate having to carry too many things around.

#172859 - 12/10/12 12:12 PM Re: Kindle question [Re: PerryMK]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
I bought a Kindle touch (not the latest touch version) for my wife. She was somewhat hesitant, but liked the eInk approach and has read some things on it, but she's old school and still prefers hard copy books.

I don't believe that Nook can read Kindle books nor vice versa. Kindle books are .mobi formatted files, Nook uses the more generic ePub format.

I suspect that most if not all tablets out there today can read either format via free apps. So if you have an Android tablet (I do), you can download from the Google Play store either (or both) of the Kindle reader and Nook reader software applications. For free. From there you can purchase books for the respective application (i.e., from Amazon for Kindle, from B&N for Nook) via the application, or via website using a web browser. You can also side-load apps to either one, i.e., get a freely available book in .mobi or .epub format, plug your tablet into your computer, then copy the file over to the appropriate folder on your tablet. Then when you next start the reader app the book appears. Of course there are a lot of free classic (out of copyright) books that you can download directly from B&N or Amazon.
And lots of stuff via places like gutenberg.org, baen.com/library, etc.

Kindle Fire: I have no direct experience but it's basically a decent Android tablet that has the user interface sort of intentionally crippled a bit to make it focused on buying things from Amazon. There are ways to mitigate this to use it as a more general purpose tablet, but you would have to search for details. Just look at the specs for the specific Kindle Fire model you're looking at --- I don't recall if the newest one has a camera built in? You can certainly transfer photos somehow; if you can manage to open it up to generally adding Android apps from the google store (and Amazon has quite an android store of its own) you can find something to wireless connect to transfer apps I would think (I can on my android tablet). But more typically I plug it in to my computer to transfer files.

A blog I subscribe to talks about getting a new 8.9" Kindle Fire HD for $50 off today, a wi-fi only model. You order this model: http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Fire-HD-9-inch/dp/B008GFRE5A and enter FIREHD89 as a promotional code at checkout to save $50. I have no idea if this is a good deal or not, but based on what I paid for my 10" tablet, I suspect that it is --- assuming this product really is right for you.

I don't mind reading on an LCD screen at all, but for other people it's got to be the eInk display. The Fire models are all LCDs I believe.

This stuff is complicated; best of luck figuring out just what you want!

#172875 - 12/10/12 05:26 PM Re: Kindle question [Re: BrianLe]
PerryMK Online   content

Thanks for the info. I saw the special this morning so did a little online searching and it seems that one cannot transfer files from a camera directly to a Kindle Fire. I was almost ready to spring for the special too. Now I think I'll pass and keep looking for a sub-$20 deal on a reader-only device. Maybe there will be a later deal on the $69 Kindle, maybe even after Christmas.

I did see a pretty interesting looking Kindle-only book for $2.99 on prepping for long hikes but I still couldn't bring myself to drop $250 on something I only need once in a while.

#172937 - 12/11/12 08:17 PM Re: Kindle question [Re: PerryMK]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
I have a very old (cheap) Nook and have a tablet which I use to read the books I buy from Amazon.

1. The particular Nook I have doesn't have a full touch screen - very annoying

2. However, the Nook I have (B&W) - the battery lasts FOREVER!

3. I really prefer the ePub format

4. I really prefer the full touch screen of the tablet

5. I like how I can easily share books with family members via Share in Amazon (sister has a Fire)

6. Amazon makes it soooooo easy to buy books (maybe too easy)

I am looking at a way to take the books I buy in the iMobi format and convert to ePub, so that all of my books are in the same format, but I haven't done a lot of research on it.

My sister has the Fire and she can't figure out how to transfer files to/from it - now she isn't a computer expert either, and (in my opinion - being the older sister and a computer programmer) I believe she gives up too easily on anything remotely "technical"...

my 2 cents.

#172953 - 12/12/12 05:40 AM Re: Kindle question [Re: Heather-ak]
PerryMK Online   content

Thanks for your thoughts. I like the occasional free day Amazon has on some books. I've missed a few good deals because of no real way to read them. I have the converter on my desktop (now) but prefer not to sit there to read.

From what I gather:
-eReaders, Kindle, etc.: Pretty much just for reading books. Battery can last more than a week. $70-$150

-Kindle Fire: OK for reading including my local paper, online browsing, movie watching (I'm not really a movie watcher) but not really a PC. Rather it's a limited tablet using an older but custom version of Android. Battery lasts a day. $159-$500

-tablets: some approach the functionality of a small laptop but the cost is greater. Pretty much stick with name brands (ASUS, Samsung, Apple) to get something reliable. Battery lasts a day. Start at $250

Still looking.

#172971 - 12/12/12 01:09 PM Re: Kindle question [Re: PerryMK]
sarbar Offline

Loc: WA
Honestly? I have the Kindle app on my iPad and my Nokia Lumnia phone. I actually prefer reading on my phone! :-) I do though load the books on Amazon to the Cloud area, then I can easily download too my phone and take them with me.

We do have a regular Kindle and a Kindle Fire, those are my husbands...I am not into them. Partly why I like the phone is it is light/small and my carpal riddled hands can hold it.

#173017 - 12/13/12 11:30 AM Re: Kindle question [Re: sarbar]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
My wife gave me a nook, rather than a kindle, because she hates Amazon and what it represents. (Don't get her started, please)

It works great. Battery lasts so long that I often forget that I have to charge it. There is a huge and searchable catalog of free books that I can get, many of which are about adventure travel and hiking. And it is light enough that I have actually considered bringing it backpacking.

No, not for me--I fish. For my wife, so she can read while I am fishing!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#173031 - 12/13/12 02:38 PM Re: Kindle question [Re: balzaccom]
BrianLe Offline

Quote:
"And it is light enough that I have actually considered bringing it backpacking.
No, not for me--I fish. For my wife, so she can read while I am fishing!"

If you have a smartphone, see if you can get her to happily read on that (B&N Nook software installed on it) using a pair of light reading glasses. I like these reading devices just fine, but consider them a bit heavy and bulky to carry backpacking. For me, at least, if the book I'm reading is interesting enough I quickly forget what it is that I'm reading it on.

Maybe for a fishing trip, a sort of base-camping experience though --- an actual book reader might be just about perfect.

#173074 - 12/14/12 01:45 PM Re: Kindle question [Re: sarbar]
PerryMK Online   content

I will probably break down and get a smart phone next year but it seems a little small to read on, at least for me.

I'm still holding out for a $25 Kindle. If I pay much more I think I would just spring for a Nexus 7 or Samsung tablet. I'm thinking after Christmas someone might have received a new tablet and will have their older Kindle on eBay for cheap.

I know I'm frugal; you don't have to tell me. smile

#173075 - 12/14/12 01:47 PM Re: Kindle question [Re: balzaccom]
PerryMK Online   content

A co-worker has a Nook and likes it. However I tend to spend (too much) time on Amazon so would prefer to stick with that format. They seem pretty comparable except for format read.

#173079 - 12/14/12 03:38 PM Re: Kindle question [Re: PerryMK]
sarbar Offline

I was actually shocked at how easy it is to read on my Nokia Lumina phone - the Kindle app is the same say on my ipad, although I have less to read on each page - so the text is the same smile But for in bed it is great! No heavy tablet, etc.

#173118 - 12/16/12 10:04 PM Re: Kindle question [Re: PerryMK]
lori Offline

The Kindle with Amazon Prime is a nice deal. If your other needs are basic enough, the fact that you can "borrow" a Kindle book each month and stream the free movies you get with Prime on the device makes it an easy choice.

Since I frequently have reasons to want some pretty expensive books that are available in Kindle, that alone saves me some money - trying before I buy helps.

I am farsighted and reading on my phone - which also has woefully abysmal battery life, I end up carrying a cable around to plug it in wherever possible - gets old fast. So having a nice screen and a good battery life is something I look forward to. The Kindle should be here tomorrow.

If for some reason the Kindle falls short... it'll go back and an iPad Mini will be in my future. I already have a bunch of Kindle books and the app on my phone and two computers. It'll work as well on the iPad as it does on my iMac.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#173123 - 12/17/12 06:10 AM Re: Kindle question [Re: lori]
PerryMK Online   content

If I were to go the tablet route I think the Nexus 7 would be my choice. Great battery life. Otherwise a basic Kindle for reading. I'm thinking after Christmas will be my time to find a deal. I am in no rush.

I too am farsighted, although a year or so ago (I have almost no concept of time so maybe it was two years) I had to get progressive lenses as I sometimes have difficulty reading fine print now unless I hold it right up to my face. But that makes me seem even odder when reading a label in a store. blush

#173132 - 12/17/12 02:48 PM Re: Kindle question [Re: sarbar]
BrianLe Offline

Quote:
"I was actually shocked at how easy it is to read on my Nokia Lumina phone"

On long backpacking trips my smartphone is all I have for multiple things, including books, and I agree --- works great. In fact, there are some aspects that make it better. It's light, as you point out, very easy to hold up with just one hand. I also like the fact that I can program the volume keys to represent page forward, page back. I find that much more easy and natural to turn the page by keeping a finger or thumb over the appropriate volume key to page forward effortlessly and sort of unconsciously. With a kindle touch it takes a poke or gesture that requires more energy and doesn't always work.

Biggest advantage, though: the phone is along with me in various scenarios in which I might not have brought my tablet or my wife's kindle, or the tablet/kindle might not be available.

#173173 - 12/19/12 06:57 PM Re: Kindle question [Re: BrianLe]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I bought my wife a kindle touch for her birthday last year. She uses it a lot. She shares her account with her sister, and vice versa. So, she usually only buys half the books, or less, that she reads. She has even bought books for school on it. We have a few games on it, not much graphics since it is an eink. But checkers and tick tack toe keep the kids entertained during church. I use it occasionally when I teach youth. I will write out my lesson plan on Word, make the letters real BIG, then hit "send to Kindle". It automatically prints it as a pdf and puts in on the Kindle. It saves me from printing off paper on my printer and using ink and paper. I read from it occasionally (currently the Sillmarillion), but not often, or close to what my wife reads.

I have been looking at the Kindle fire, but don't like that it doesn't have expandable storage (think SD card). I also am not sure if I can put my own video files on it that I didn't buy from Amazon.

One thing I don't like about the kindle is how easy it is to buy something from it. My kids could probably easily search and buy, without putting in any credit card info. I have erased my credit card info from the account, but you never know.

Another thing that I have been thinking about. If I could save BIG map files on the fire, and if the resolution is great when I zoom in, then it would be a good option for backpacking. I would still carry a paper map, but I could cut down on how many I print off.

Edited by finallyME (12/19/12 06:59 PM)

#173174 - 12/19/12 07:38 PM Re: Kindle question [Re: finallyME]
PerryMK Online   content

I was not aware there were games, I thought it was just for reading. It doesn't matter as I'm not much for playing games anyway. Can you check email on a regular Kindle?

I really like the Kindle Paperwhite but if I'm going to spend $119 I feel like I should just spend $200 and get a Nexus7 and get much more funtionality. Although the Samsung with a 7 inch screen is down to $180. Also, one of the local places (Staples or Office Depot) has the Kindle Fire with a free Amazon $25 gift card.

#173179 - 12/20/12 08:31 AM Re: Kindle question [Re: finallyME]
PerryMK Online   content

It seems Best Buy has the Kindle Fire for $139 . Not my first choice but it might be someone else's.

#173188 - 12/20/12 12:23 PM Re: Kindle question [Re: finallyME]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
My take on this: I got the Kindle 2 a couple of years ago and it still works great. I got the basic Kindle ($69) about a year ago and use it all the time for reading books. I have taken it backpacking several times and it is light and holds a charge for a reasonable time. Works great for reading books and will hold about 1400 and an infinite number in the cloud. I took it when I went walking in Scotland and stayed in B&B's. I was able to read email every night and read the home town paper (poorly formatted but readable but that is the local paper not the Kindle). I could reply to email but the keyboard stinks so replies were brief but assuring to the folks back home. I recently bought a Kindle Fire which my wife "borrowed" so I had to buy another one. Great for games and graphic stuff but heavy and only holds a charge for about 8 hours.

If you just want to read while hiking and have limited web access the basic is great. If you want to play games while sitting in your chair the Fire is great. None of them wash your socks but then what are you getting one for.

Amazon just came out with a Paperwhite which has a lighted screen and a long battery life. I have no experience with it but my son in law bought one for my daughter so I will get a chance to play with one.

I have no experience with any of the other units but I am happy with mine. It is like most of my backpacking equipment. It works for me so why do I want to change for marginal improvements?

#173191 - 12/20/12 02:03 PM Re: Kindle question [Re: GrumpyGord]
PerryMK Online   content

So it can do email? That's good to know. I also like the part that one can read the local paper.

What model do you have? I saw an older Kindle keyboard on ebay at what looks to be a pretty good price.

I was actually wanting it more for work related travel than backpacking, but let's leave that option open (smile).

#173192 - 12/20/12 02:29 PM Re: Kindle question [Re: PerryMK]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
So it can do email? That's good to know. I also like the part that one can read the local paper.

It does OK with gmail and yahoo. I understand that is does not do as well on some other systems. Your local paper must support the Kindle format. Mine does and I get digital access as part of my regular subscription.

What model do you have? I saw an older Kindle keyboard on ebay at what looks to be a pretty good price.

I have a Kindle 2 which is a keyboard and a Kindle 4 ($69). The 2 operates on 3G w/ no extra connection charge. The 4 operates on WiFi. The 4 is much smaller and lighter than the 2 but has the same size screen. For what I use it for the 4 does what I want it to do. People keep wanting more storage but I cannot read 1400 books before I can access the cloud to take off some books and load others. People all seem to want a desktop computer and and Ipad all in a 3 oz package for under $100.

I was actually wanting it more for work related travel than backpacking, but let's leave that option open (smile).

#173194 - 12/20/12 09:36 PM Re: Kindle question [Re: PerryMK]
sarbar Offline

We have a regular Kindle and a Kindle Fire. Personally? I prefer my iPad to the Fire, but that is me. My husband uses both Kindles. I read Kindle books via my phone or on my iPad or computer smile Try them out if you can!

#173202 - 12/21/12 10:11 AM Re: Kindle question [Re: sarbar]
lori Offline

i have the kindle fire HD - got it last Monday. I am now using it to run six calendars (work, two hiking groups, two small businesses and a group I volunteer for) pulling google calendars into it, several email addresses, Evernote (syncing with it - I also run Evernote on my iMac and laptop), reminders/to do list, and streaming video from Amazon Prime as well as a freebie "borrowed" book that Prime entitles me to each month.

The Dolby speakers have very nice sound, and Downtown Abbey in HD is quite nice to watch even on such a small screen.

It came pre-installed with an office app. I may get a small bluetooth keyboard from Thinkgeek and use it to work on a book I'm going to write.

Nothing wrong with it. I may geek it so I can get to the Google Play store, for some of the apps Amazon doesn't have.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#173326 - 12/28/12 12:46 PM Re: Kindle question [Re: finallyME]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
I have two Kindles received as gifts--an e-ink model and 1st gen Fire. I've experimented with loading topo map pdfs, converted to monochrome, to the e-ink model and I'm convinced they're a legitimate way to tote more maps. I haven't done the equivalent with the Fire because I don't think the weight, battery life and daylight readability make it suited to backpacking. General travel, sure.

The monochrome model is only eight ounces (as much as a small paperback) and can be loaded with a limitless library, including first aid info, owners manuals (camera, gps, etc.) and of course, book books.

Somebody's going to stuff a gps chip in one, and suddenly they're going to get a lot more interesting.

Originally Posted By finallyME

Another thing that I have been thinking about. If I could save BIG map files on the fire, and if the resolution is great when I zoom in, then it would be a good option for backpacking. I would still carry a paper map, but I could cut down on how many I print off.

#173329 - 12/28/12 02:21 PM Re: Kindle question [Re: Rick_D]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
You can download a USGS map from USGS.gov and put it on the Kindle Fire and the Kindle. Just send the PDF to the Kindle without converting it.

You can zoom to about 1:12,000 scale on the Fire. I don't know about the Kindle. The Fire is not real visible outside. It is likely heavier than just carrying the maps.

You can copy anything to Word and save it as a PDF and put it on both the Kindle and Kindle Fire.

Edited by Gershon (12/28/12 02:25 PM)

#173454 - 01/03/13 06:41 PM Re: Kindle question [Re: Gershon]
PerryMK Online   content

Well my plan worked, sort of. After Christmas I picked up a Kindle for less than half price. It arrived today. I charged it a little and purchased/downloaded a hiking book book, so at least one person on this thread should be happy (smile).

It's a Kindle keyboard with leather case and a built in light and also a plug-in charger. I paid a total of $66. A little more than I wanted to pay, but from what I can tell a pretty good price.

I suppose I could run an extension cord to the couch but I think I'll let it charge a while and then see about reading that book.

Edited by PerryMK (01/03/13 06:48 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum