Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#172832 - 12/10/12 12:13 AM Ultralight backpack overload. Way confused. Advice
StylinLP Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Help! Ive been watching tons of youtube video's, reading reviews and reading that hiking gear guide book. I THINK im down to three choices. Price isn't an issue. All I want is the best to hike the AT for 6months. Im used to using a water bladder. My current day back is a Camelback Daytripper. After I choose a backpack I got to decide on a tent, sleeping bag and pad. Prob the Exped SynMat 7 Pump Sleeping Pad and Western Mountaineering SummerLite with silk liner and Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 2 Tent"? Advice appreciated!

Gossamer Gear Gorilla 2012 Ultralight Backpack

GoLite Jam 50L Backpack

Mountain Laurel Designs EXODUS 2011 Backpack

#172833 - 12/10/12 01:14 AM Re: Ultralight backpack overload. Way confused. Advice [Re: StylinLP]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
The standard advice is to wait to get tyour pack until you have the rest of your gear. In other words, first get your shelter, your sleeping bag, your pad, your cooking gear, the clothing you will carry (as opposed to wearing) and your "miscellaneous." There's a really good reason for this--you really don't know what pack volume or structure you need until you have the stuff that's going in it! By getting the pack last, you'll be sure the pack and gear fit each other, that the pack will support the load and (most important!) that the fully loaded pack is comfortable for you. Pack fit is almost as individual as shoe fit!

While the Gorilla has a frame, the other two you list are frameless. Unless you are sure your total pack weight (that includes food and water) will be under 20 lbs., you probably want a pack with some kind of frame, such as removable stays that you'll want to keep in. I say "probably" because indivduals vary as to how much they can carry in a frameless pack. Some can do 25 lbs and others become uncomfortable with more than 15 or even less.

If overloaded, any pack is going to buckle, leaving most of the weight on your shoulders rather than on your hips. This can happen with framed packs, too. That's why it's important to try the pack on and walk around for an hour or two with the exact gear you're going to carry, plus the equivalent in weight and bulk of 5-7 day's food and a liter or two of water. You want to be sure the fully loaded pack is suports the load and is still comfortable after several hours of hiking. If it's a nice day, hike around your neighborhood, making sure to keep the pack clean so you can return it. I had to do my trial hike around the house (boring!) because it was pouring rain the day it arrived and of course I didn't want to wait. If you order a pack, be sure to check the return policy of each firm so you can return the pack if it doesn't work for you.

You can find lightweight framed packs with removable stays weighing 1.5 to 2 lbs. Examples (not all-inclusive):

ULA Ohm 2 (or their Circuit, but that's a bit heavier)
Gossamer Gear Mariposa or Gorilla
Six Moon Designs Starlite (a bit larger)
Elemental Horizons Aquilo or Kalais
Hyperlite Mountain Gear packs
ZPacks Arc Blast (this one is really light, despite the frame, but it's also pretty small)

I'm not familiar with all of these but understand most of them will support up to 30 lbs. I know the Starlite will support up to 35 (I have its discontinued "little brother," the Comet, and carried 37 lbs. in it once).

Lots of articles on gear selection on the home page of this site, left hand column, just in case you want more information overload!

For the tent, you might want to look at lighter tents from such makers as Tarptent, Six Moon Designs and Lightheart Gear. You should be able to find one under two pounds. All three makers have some essentially double-wall tents, if that's what you prefer (solo versions are the Tarptent Notch, Six Moons Skyscape, Lightheart Gear Solo or Solong (the last for tall people).

I personally don't go for sleeping bag liners. I tried one once, for three whole nights. Each morning, I was so tangled up in it that it took me several minutes to get untangled and out of the sleeping bag. After three nights, I ditched the thing. I didn't notice any temperature difference, either. Your mileage, of course, may vary. I wouldn't count on a liner to get that Summerlite down to 20*. Plenty of warm clothing worn inside should work, though.

The Exped UL7 pads are considerably lighter than the ones with the pump. You can get what they call a "Schnozzle" bag to blow it up (it comes with the UL7 Downmat but not the Synmat). I haven't tried these but have read lots of good things. A lot of people love the NeoAir, although those who don't like it hate it--nobody seems to be lukewarm about it!

Hopefully our BrianLe will come on here to give you more specific AT advice; he is a Triple Crown hiker. He just wrote a book on preparing for a long distance hike--look at the Backcountry Books section.

#172845 - 12/10/12 09:50 AM Re: Ultralight backpack overload. Way confused. Advice [Re: OregonMouse]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
To second OM's advice, get the rest of your gear first, then look at a pack. You might want to rent a pack, or borrow, then try it out with all your other gear to see what you like and don't like.

#172846 - 12/10/12 09:56 AM Re: Ultralight backpack overload. Way confused. Advice [Re: StylinLP]
lori Offline

The other thing that will radically increase your chances of success would be to take some short trips to shake down the gear and figure it all out. For that, you just need to borrow and rent for a while.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#172863 - 12/10/12 01:11 PM Re: Ultralight backpack overload. Way confused. Advice [Re: StylinLP]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Indeed it's hard to say much here without a good sense for your expected base weight (and to some degree associated bulk of gear) --= it's hard to comment about any particular pack lacking that.

I.e., ideally you don't just want to select your tent, sleeping bag, and pad --- in a perfect world you would pick out *every* little thing and list all of that and sum the weights. With that in hand it's easier to comment on the suitability of a particular pack.

When do you plan to start (what month, ideally what part of the month)? Starting from Springer (or approach trail) in Georgia and heading North? The fact that you mention a 6 month trip suggests to me that you might not be thinking of pushing the boundaries with minimal/lightest gear (?). Or maybe that just means that you're prudently setting aside 6 months and it doesn't relate.

The Exped might be a great choice if you're starting early; or it might be overkill --- R-value of 4.9, weighs 31 or 39 oz depending on which size you get. A thermarest Neoair xlite weighs 12 oz in size regular, with R-value of 3.2. If you're starting in early March (or earlier), beef up the thermarest with a Gossamer Gear thinlight pad and still save a lot of weight --- and you can mail the thinlight home when you no longer need/want it.

WM Summerlite is an excellent choice, so long as you're not starting too early. You might be on the cold side to start with. I personally am not a fan of silk liners. If you want a bit more warmth, ask the WM folks to overstuff your bag --- that's a much more efficient use of weight and less of a hassle. Starting out you might want to wear some puffy clothes inside the bag on colder nights. Or start with a 20F bag and swap to the Summerlite after, say, the Smokies. Hard to be specific here, lots of variables. But I have a Summerlite; it's a wonderful bag.

Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 2 --- are you hiking solo, or with a partner? That's not a bad weight if you really need and want a double-walled two person tent --- tt lists at about 42 oz. If you use trekking poles, a lightheart solo is 27 oz, and is still effectively double walled, and IMO has plenty of space for a solo hiker. If single walled is okay for you, you can get a two-person tent for less oz; for example, the Tarptent Squall II is listed at 34 oz. One key question to ask yourself is how often you anticipate sleeping in shelters. The more often you do, the more you might skimp on tent comfort in favor of carried weight.

Whatever your baseweight I don't suggest that you start a first thru-hike with a truly frameless pack unless you have some experience using a frameless pack already. So of the ones listed, the Gorilla might be best --- with the huge caveat that I don't think you can yet know if any of those are reasonable candidates for you.

If I had to pick a sort of "one size fits most" pack for the generic thru-hiker it might be the ULA Catalyst. Or the ULA Circuit (which is what I use) if you know that your gear will fit in that. But as others have said, figure out the other stuff first, to include all of the "various and sundry" that can add up to a lot, and the *complete* list of clothing to be carried.

#172873 - 12/10/12 04:53 PM Re: Ultralight backpack overload. Way confused. Advice [Re: BrianLe]
StylinLP Offline

Thank you all for the replies. I got pointed in the right direction. I live and hike in Arizona. Weekend day hikes in Prescott and Sedona and week night hikes around Phoenix plus 3 nights at the gym(2hrs). Im 6'2 and 240lbs. So im a big guy and that weight after 1 year of this is going slow. real slow. I even drink a green smoothie(kale, spinach, carrots, brocolli, apple) everyday for lunch. crazy.
My weekend day hikes are around 10 to 12 miles.

Soon as I get a pack together I want to start hiking an overnighter every weekend. Just purchased my first serious piece of gear and used it in Sedona last weekend. Black Diamond Alpine cork hiking poles at $150. THey are amazing, light and sturdy. It feels like I am using a hand rail to pull myself up the mountain! I usually can barely walk to the resturant after a hike. Limping across the parking lot. This time it wasnt so bad and the next day almost gone. Feel like hiking again. Currently wearing Solomon Mission XR support trail running shoes.

Im liking this Katabatic Gear Palisade sleeping bag. Seems to be the best...
also the Western Mountaineering SummerLite Sleeping Bag

Both the ULA catalyst back pack or
Gossamer Gear Gorilla 2012 Ultralight Backpack look like great packs!

My current contract at work ends March 31. If they do not extend it i could hike the AT before taking another contract...

Edited by StylinLP (12/10/12 05:00 PM)

#172914 - 12/11/12 12:54 PM Re: Ultralight backpack overload. Way confused. Advice [Re: StylinLP]
StylinLP Offline

Ok, after reading all your replies and reviewing the forums I think Ive come up with a good starting list to think about. IF I do the AT trail in beginning of April. I have 4 months of weekend hikes to get used to this gear.

Tents:
Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo Tent $235 - 23oz – Floor area 26 sq. ft – headroom 46”
http://www.hikelight.com/six-moon-designs-lunar-solo.html

LightHeart SoLong 6 $275.00 - 1 lb 14.6 oz - Floor Area 30sq ft – Headroom 45”
http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?...88d243086505fee

Sleeping bags:
Western Mountaineering SummerLite Sleeping Bag $360 21oz - 32 degree rating
http://www.hikelight.com/western-mountaineering-summerlite.html

Katabatic Gear Palisade sleeping bag $385 21oz - 30 degree rating http://katabaticgear.com/shop/palisade-sleeping-bag/

Sleeping Pad:
Exped SynMat UL 7 Air Pad $175 R3.1 – 21oz
http://www.rei.com/product/811907/exped-synmat-ul-7-air-pad

Back packs:
ULA Catalyst back pack Max Load: 40 lbs - 48oz 46L
http://www.ula-equipment.com/catalyst.asp

Gossamer Gear Gorilla back pack $191 27 oz - 35 lb max
http://gossamergear.com/packs/backpacks/gorilla-2012-ultralight-backpack.html

Weight total: 92oz. thats 5.75lbs

Edited by StylinLP (12/11/12 12:55 PM)

#172926 - 12/11/12 02:06 PM Re: Ultralight backpack overload. Way confused. Advice [Re: StylinLP]
BrianLe Offline

Sound like some good alternatives; picking what's "best" gets down to a lot of subjective judgments. I think in your shoes I'd get the Lightheart SoLong despite the extra weight, just given your height and when you're going (i.e., you might spend a lot of nights in that tent). I think your pad might be overkill even with the UL version, but if it's something you otherwise want or already own, then so be it.

Key suggestions I would make are to focus early on getting the right footwear --- something you can wear for all-day every day, so whatever you think will work for you I suggest you get a pair now and start doing some local long walks to verify. Getting the right footwear can be difficult, but important.

The other thing is to get your gear together (all of it, not just the big three), perhaps rent a pack if you're not yet sure of the overall volume/weight you'll end up with, and do a multi-day solo trip. A shake-down trip, 50 miles or so if you can find the time. Take notes along the way of both gear and hiking 'style' issues. Perhaps take a thermometer along to calibrate temps that way.

Best of luck in your preparations!

#172928 - 12/11/12 03:12 PM Re: Ultralight backpack overload. Way confused. Advice [Re: BrianLe]
StylinLP Offline

BrianLe thank you for the great advice. I am definately paying attention before I get to attached to any decisions.

I am really impressed with Solomon shoes for trail running. Light and superb build quality. But the Mission XR's do not offer enough support for my moderate over pronation feet. Ive looked at these in person at REI and they are definately more supportive. I just dont know if I should get the normal size or the mid height style. reviewers all say that the mid height version are still great trail running shoes...plus they allow more backpack weight. also, I am worried that these are 300- mile shoes for wear...

Salomon Men's XA Pro 3D Mid 2 GTX
http://www.amazon.com/Salomon-XA-Pro-3D-...=I1937XJZ9T0DOB

Edited by StylinLP (12/11/12 03:13 PM)

#172955 - 12/12/12 08:27 AM Re: Ultralight backpack overload. Way confused. Advice [Re: StylinLP]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
StylinLP,

Brian is the long trails expert here'bouts, but I've done two thru hikes, and there are a couple of things I might usefully add.

Tents: I've seen the Six Moons on the trail (buddy had one) and admired the design a lot If I were going to use a tent, that's the first one I'd consider (but would want to have a close look at a Tarp Tent as well.

I don't use a tent, rarely ever have. I like camping solo, and sometimes have done so on the AT. I use a bivy bag, and sometimes set up my (slightly oversized MLD) poncho as shelter.
I will shelter in bad weather, also so I can hang my bug net in a bad bug situation. The first bivy I used was heavy (Integral Designs), with included net. I used it the whole trail, shelters and all (kept the mice off my face), and only pitched the poncho once. Got one night where I was in the open and could not use poncho (loaned it to somebody else). Got about six straight hours of driving rain and got a few tablespoons of water in bottom, sleeping bag unaffected.

But having said this, there is another factor, actually two of them. First, one usually needs water in the evenings. Sometimes there are lots of handy choices (and I will camp solo), but frequently the only readily available (or at least semi-available) water in the area will be at a shelter. So you find you must stop there. Then the second factor kicks in. Part of the joy of the trail is that you automatically make some very interesting friends early on. They will be at the shelter. Frequently, you will find it somewhat difficult to camp solo nearby. The upshot of this is that you will find yourself staying many, perhaps most, nights in the shelters. At which point a bivy is handy, but a tent is dead weight.

I have a pair of Salomons that I have fallen in love with, but have not yet used beyond four hiking days in a row (and those were short, 8 - 12 mile days).

As far as getting heavier shoes to carry more pack weight, my advice is to cut pack weight. I have spent some money to get mine down in order to keep hiking as I age, but on my first thru hike I picked up the trail name "Antique Roadshow", ironically, not because of my age (60) but because virtually everything I wore or carried was at least 20 years old, and I had one of the lightest packs on the trail (also the source of jokes). The trick is to need fewer things, but it takes practice, as suggested by Brian and others, to need less.

Have at it, and enjoy. It really is the "trip of a life time".

best, jcp

#172965 - 12/12/12 10:46 AM Re: Ultralight backpack overload. Way confused. Advice [Re: JPete]
StylinLP Offline

Awesome. thanks for the advice. My choices are narrowing down considerably.

The lows in Sedona has been 39 degree which is hella cold for someone from Phoenix smile But when its NOT raining thats the average lows int he last month. Perfect weather to test my gear I guess. This weekend its going to rain with the lows dropping down to 32.

Im worried about the shoes on the AT. If these Solomon only last 300 miles...thats 7 pairs of shoes at $150 each?? Seems to me that there has to be a way to determine wear on a shoe...Try to find some that last over 500 miles. I odnt know how long these shoes last. But it seems to me that the higher performance and lighter a shoe the less wear it has. Just a guess.

With my moderate pronation I figured the mid height shoes would be more supportive..or from what ive read on hiking forums more restrictive. I do know the tall hiking boots are really restrictive.

Edited by StylinLP (12/12/12 10:48 AM)

#172967 - 12/12/12 11:09 AM Re: Ultralight backpack overload. Way confused. Advice [Re: StylinLP]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
I'm not really speaking for the shoes I was reading about someone's journey thru-hiking the AT; and he said his feet got bigger which made him get wider shoes somewhere along the way. I'm sure someone else can chime in on this.

#172968 - 12/12/12 11:59 AM Re: Ultralight backpack overload. Way confused. Advice [Re: ETSU Pride]
StylinLP Offline

Oh yea, i read about that too. Since im exactly 12.5 shoe size I would buy a size 13.

#173021 - 12/13/12 12:16 PM Re: Ultralight backpack overload. Way confused. Advice [Re: StylinLP]
StylinLP Offline

Originally Posted By StylinLP
Ok, after reading all your replies and reviewing the forums I think Ive come up with a good starting list to think about. IF I do the AT trail in beginning of April. I have 4 months of weekend hikes to get used to this gear.

Tents:
Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo Tent $235 - 23oz – Floor area 26 sq. ft – headroom 46”
http://www.hikelight.com/six-moon-designs-lunar-solo.html

LightHeart SoLong 6 $275.00 - 1 lb 14.6 oz - Floor Area 30sq ft – Headroom 45”
http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?...88d243086505fee

Sleeping bags:
Western Mountaineering SummerLite Sleeping Bag $360 21oz - 32 degree rating
http://www.hikelight.com/western-mountaineering-summerlite.html

Katabatic Gear Palisade sleeping bag $385 21oz - 30 degree rating http://katabaticgear.com/shop/palisade-sleeping-bag/

Sleeping Pad:
Exped SynMat UL 7 Air Pad $175 R3.1 – 21oz
http://www.rei.com/product/811907/exped-synmat-ul-7-air-pad

Back packs:
ULA Catalyst back pack Max Load: 40 lbs - 48oz 46L
http://www.ula-equipment.com/catalyst.asp

Gossamer Gear Gorilla back pack $191 27 oz - 35 lb max
http://gossamergear.com/packs/backpacks/gorilla-2012-ultralight-backpack.html

Weight total: 92oz. thats 5.75lbs

Im having a hard time trying to figure out which of these packs are better. They seem really close but with my inexperienced eye I know I must be missing something. The obvious is that the Gossamer Gear Gorilla back pack supports comfort at 30lbs...But from my list above I see that my pack weight without food and water and some other needed items is only 5lbs. still need to pick out a canister cook kit, ground tarp, bear can, clothes, water/wind clothes...I guess I could easily still go over 25lbs lol

Ive been looking at
Gossamer Gear Gorilla back pack
and
Mountain Laurel Designs 3500ci EXODUS 2011
and
ULA Catalyst back pack

#173025 - 12/13/12 12:34 PM Re: Ultralight backpack overload. Way confused. Advice [Re: StylinLP]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Could I potentially make your decision harder by recommending the Granite Gear Blaze? grin The easiest way to decide on a pack is to try 'em on with gears to see how they feel. This is what make or break a pack, how it feels on you and everyone is different.

#173027 - 12/13/12 02:14 PM Re: Ultralight backpack overload. Way confused. Advice [Re: StylinLP]
BrianLe Offline

Quote:
"Oh yea, i read about that too. Since im exactly 12.5 shoe size I would buy a size 13."

This varies a lot by the person. I now wear size 11.5 shoes just always, and before my first long trip my nominal shoe size was 10. It still is close to 10, mind you, I think my feet have permanently grown a *little* but I suspect it's more that I just can no longer tolerate really restrictive shoes.

But this is so individual. If you're buying boots rather than shoes (more expensive, last longer) then I'd suggest something like one full size up from normal, with socks to fill up the slop space AND only do this if you have the chance to do some decent hiking in those beforehand. Heck, you might even consider picking up some cheap shoes in that larger size ahead of time, shoes that feel about the same to you in size as the larger boots and first do some long walks in those --- to see if they'll work for you. Then buy the boots in that size if so.

Boots vs. shoes on the AT is a whole different issue. Most PCT thru-hikers wear shoes, but on the AT it's more of a mix with I think a tilt more towards boots than shoes. I used shoes on the AT, but some feel strongly that more ankle support is needed due to the overall poorer trail quality. YMMV a lot, I was happy in shoes but experienced people that I respect a lot feel that boots are the way to go on that trail. So go with what your gut tells you after you've done some training walks.

#173028 - 12/13/12 02:19 PM Re: Ultralight backpack overload. Way confused. Advice [Re: StylinLP]
BrianLe Offline

Quote:
"But from my list above I see that my pack weight without food and water and some other needed items is only 5lbs. still need to pick out a canister cook kit, ground tarp, bear can, clothes, water/wind clothes...I guess I could easily still go over 25lbs lol"

I really suggest that you defer pack purchase and focus on getting a pretty complete list of "all of the other stuff" --- either actually purchased, or at least stuff that you're pretty sure you'll end up with "that item or something similar in weight and bulk". Then you'll know enough to make a better pack choice.

As an aside, I suggest that for thru-hiking the AT you never need a bear canister, might do better to not think in terms of a "canister cook kit" (whatever that is sounds heavy and too much stuff to me), your ground cloth can be very light hardware store polycro ... I suggest that you pick out one of multiple excellent books on lightweight backpacking and read through that. Skurka's new book maybe, or Jardine, or Ryan Jordan's lightweight backpacking book, or Don Ladigan's "Lighten Up!", or Justin Lichter's new "Trail Tested" ... I've not read the latest of these, but suspect that any one of these will serve you well.

#173063 - 12/14/12 07:23 AM Re: Ultralight backpack overload. Way confused. Advice [Re: StylinLP]
JPete Offline

StylinLP,

I think my Salomans must have something close to 250 miles on them now, and show only light wear on the soles (for whatever that's worth).

Incidentally, I'm no demon on the trail. I don't conciously baby my shoe, but I'm evidently a bit easier on them than some others. I'm ot especially heavy, and I don't carry a whole lot of weight.

I started my first thru-hike with 20-year-old Limmers, and wore them until they wetted out in New Jersey. Bought a pair of light Vasque boots and wore them from Harriman to Baxter, wore them on a lot of hikes for ten years, then wore them from Springer to Baxter. They have little sole left, and I very rarely wear them, but they are still somewhat serviceable for places I don't want to wear my new ones.

best, jcp

#173078 - 12/14/12 02:46 PM Re: Ultralight backpack overload. Way confused. Advice [Re: JPete]
StylinLP Offline

White Trails forums answered my question about shoes. Low cut is the way to go. Your ankles actually saves your knee's from doing most the work. Im going to try those Salomon Men's XA Pro 3D Ultra 2 GTX Trail Running Shoe low cuts and see. They are suppose to be more supportive than my current Solomon Mission XR shoes.

#173090 - 12/15/12 01:50 PM Re: Ultralight backpack overload. Way confused. Advice [Re: StylinLP]
JPete Offline

StylinLP,

The Salomons I've fallen in love with and which seem to be quite durable are listed as "XA3D ultra2". I suspect they are pretty much the same shoe, but they are a couple of years old, and that your designation is simply the current one. They are made in VietNam.

Incidentally, many hikers (not me) like to use a replaceable insole in their shoes (replace when inside gets worn). I notice that the insole does not slip easily out of these, so if you are one of the users, you may want to take a pair with you when you buy the shoes to make sure they are large enough. There's a particular brand of such that is popular and mentioned on here from time to time, but I can't remember, and search function does not work for me. Maybe someone will chime in. It's a common way to extend shoe life on the trail.

best, jcp

Edited by JPete (12/15/12 01:52 PM)

#173151 - 12/18/12 12:01 AM Re: Ultralight backpack overload. Way confused. Advice [Re: StylinLP]
verber Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
WM does make great bags, but you should make sure you are comfortable with the summerlite. I found it a bit narrow for my taste. There are a number of WM bags that are wider, or my preference, one of the cottage industry quilts.

--Mark

#173186 - 12/20/12 11:29 AM Re: Ultralight backpack overload. Way confused. Advice [Re: verber]
StylinLP Offline

Solomon Shoes: My new Salomon Men's XA Pro 3D Ultra 2 GTX Trail Running shoes came in last night and took them for a hike. They difinately have better traction. No more slipping hiking down a rock face. And they do have a little bit more support. But my ankle did twist once...lots less times that my old Solomons. Phoenix has really rocky trails.

Sleeping Bags: Im really sold on getting that Katabatic Gear Palisade sleeping bag. Good down to 30degrees and its super light.

#174399 - 01/28/13 02:53 PM recommended UL on the big three [Re: JPete]
WildOregon Offline

Many, many trips have been served well for me in:
Tarp tent-sublite
Montbell-superspiral 5 40f bag
Osprey exos 46

#174401 - 01/28/13 04:51 PM Re: Ultralight backpack overload. Way confused. Advice [Re: StylinLP]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Hey StylinLP, I'm a newbie too and haven't tried it, but one suggestion I've seen at least a couple times if you're worried about shoe wear is to coat the threads with superglue. Best of luck.

#174643 - 02/04/13 06:44 AM Re: Ultralight backpack overload. Way confused. Advice [Re: JPete]
JMB Offline

If you have an REI close to you, they are great for trying out a lot of different packs. They may not be ultralight, but they can give you a frame of reference. They don't even care if you bring all your gear in and put it in a pack for a test run.

And they have an awesome return policy.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum