Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#172773 - 12/07/12 04:14 PM What A Problem I Have!
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
My mom asked me what I'd like for Christmas and I been thinking about it for awhile. It came to my mind I really like to have a day-pack more than anything because the pack I was using is extremely uncomfortable. It's great for hauling books to class, but long hike on the trails with gears is just awful. I carried that pack on a 33 miles in two days and it was just plain awful after a few miles. The hip belt kept slipping thus it made my shoulders red and sensitive after the trip, and all kinds of misery.

What I cannot figure out is how much liter do I need?!?!? I keep thinking about all these day-hikes I've been on and what I normally carry. Usually I just carry rain gears, jacket, socks, and food. I figured 24 liter and up would be excess, but with a compression strap it would make the pack smaller when I have less gears, then I can expand if I ever find myself carrying more than usual such as my hammock to lounge, and other things I haven't thought about. Then my mind took it even further, what about a pack big enough for overnight trips and yet with enough compression ability to make it smaller for day-hikes? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhh.

I've looked at Osprey Kestrel 28 and Stratos 24. Deuter AC Lite 18 and 22 as well as their 28 liter which I already forgot the model. Then I looked at Granite Gear Habanero 28 liter as well as smaller day-packs by Granite.. I may be legally insane.

Edited by ETSU Pride (12/07/12 04:15 PM)

#172775 - 12/07/12 04:44 PM Re: What A Problem I Have! [Re: ETSU Pride]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
I have a GoLite Peak which I use as a day pack. The pack is designed to be compressed for smaller loads, and it does it in such a way to move the entire load towards your body. I think GoLite discontinued the name "Peak" (and Pinnacle as well) and have different sized Jam packs. The smaller Jam (35L) is the old Peak, IIRC. I know 35L seems like a lot, but the compacktor system allows it to be shrunk down to way less (half?) It can often be found on sale for well under $100 too.

#172776 - 12/07/12 05:53 PM Re: What A Problem I Have! [Re: ETSU Pride]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I just got a day pack from my mom. She just mailed me money to buy something. I had been using a pack I bought for running, but it was just too small. With a days food, a large FAK for scouts, warm jacket, and other things, it was too small. I have used my wife's school backpack and that seems to be the right volume. I can't remember what volume I got, but it is about the same as a school back pack.

#172790 - 12/08/12 01:46 PM Re: What A Problem I Have! [Re: finallyME]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
I say click on the ULA link on the top left corner . Personally I like a slightly larger pack that can be compressed down! so if you have to stretch it its not so much of a stretch.

Personally I'm looking at mountain laurel designs packs!

#172793 - 12/08/12 02:20 PM Re: What A Problem I Have! [Re: Samoset]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
Samoset, as above, my luck with MLD has been very good. Mine is rated, I think, to about 18-20 lbs. (frameless), but I once carried 26 comfortably for a long day. With my Neoair wrapped around the inside, It's stiff enough to transfer a good bit of weight to the hips. Best, jcp

Edited by JPete (12/08/12 02:20 PM)

#172802 - 12/08/12 07:26 PM Re: What A Problem I Have! [Re: JPete]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
ULA's packs reminds me of my Granite Gear Blaze. Simple design that not feature or pocket rich like Osprey is.

#172984 - 12/12/12 05:29 PM Re: What A Problem I Have! [Re: JPete]
Doppelgänger Offline

Originally Posted By JPete
Samoset, as above, my luck with MLD has been very good. Mine is rated, I think, to about 18-20 lbs. (frameless), but I once carried 26 comfortably for a long day. With my Neoair wrapped around the inside, It's stiff enough to transfer a good bit of weight to the hips. Best, jcp

Which MLD pack is that?

Who you gonna call ... Ghostbusters? (I ain't afraid of no sketch comedians!)

#173008 - 12/13/12 08:27 AM Re: What A Problem I Have! [Re: Doppelgänger]
JPete Offline

Doppelgänger,

It's a Burn, somewhat modified. Not certain precisely what Ron did to the basic design. These days I live in Richmond, VA during part of the winter. I had once met Ron Bell in an earlier incarnation we both shared (he was very good at that as well), so I went to Roanoke with my gear. We packed it up in a couple of different bags, I carried them around a bit, and then he decided what to do. My sense is that it's just slightly longer than the standard. After that, I removed the tie-on cords and associated hardware, but added four belt pockets. It now weighs just about a pound even. It has no stays or frame, but my neoair wrapped around the inside seems to add all the frame that's necessary, and its an efficient way to carry the pad.

Since we tried on the packs themselves, we never measured, but i'm now down to about 5'10" and seem to fit most standard sizes (about 175 lbs.).

There are several sources for directions on measuring your back. I've never done it, but I believe REI has one, and OM has often recommended one from McHale, a maker of very nice (but heavy) custom packs. You could contact Ron and ask if he has any special thoughts on measuring. He's very easy to work with and also thoughtful about what he does. He's made quite a bit of the equipment I now use.

Only problem is that he does all his work in-house (great quality control) and is frequently backed up as much as six or eight weeks. His work is popular.

Mountain Laurel Designs has a website.

Hope this helps. More if you need it.

best, jcp

best,

#173062 - 12/14/12 04:44 AM Re: What A Problem I Have! [Re: JPete]
Doppelgänger Offline

Doppelgänger,

best, jcp

Your little dab did do it! thanks

#173080 - 12/14/12 07:13 PM Re: What A Problem I Have! [Re: JPete]
Doppelgänger Offline

Doppelgänger,

It's a Burn, somewhat modified. ... I removed the tie-on cords and associated hardware, but added four belt pockets. It now weighs just about a pound even. It has no stays or frame, but my neoair wrapped around the inside seems to add all the frame that's necessary, and its an efficient way to carry the pad ...
There are several sources for directions on measuring your back. I've never done it, but I believe REI has one, and OM has often recommended one from McHale, a maker of very nice (but heavy) custom packs. You could contact Ron and ask if he has any special thoughts on measuring. ... Mountain Laurel Designs has a website.

best, jcp

JPete,

Let me back up here (spoke too soon, haha) to ask you some questions, now that I've returned from the MLD online store. (My measurement is 22" which is consistent with MLD's height range of 6'0"-6'3".)

You said you used a NeoAir to stiffen the walls of the bag. Would that be the old rectangular version? Also, what is the size of the pad, so I can understand how much of that material was necessary to adequately carry the load for you). I used to do the same with a half length 1988 ThermaRest pad, but I pressurized it a little to keep things tight. Was yours completely deflated while in use this way?

I noticed the belt of the MLD Burn has a trapezoidal connector that widens the attachment point to the bag. MLD says they can also mod that to a simple 1" wide belt connection, removing the Dyneema part to save weight. I was wondering if you knew whether or not the load transfer to the hips is compromised by that type of arrangement. I'm thinking the lighter option is practical only for eliminating swing but not good for transferring weight to the hips--could be wrong--what say you?

As light as the load will be for me in the back (16lbs), carrying that on the shoulders probably isn't a problem for most people, but since I'm interested in using a large front pack to shift my load closer to center for body stability, I don't want the total weight I'm carrying to rest on the shoulders. (Perhaps I can ditch the poles and reduce the need for ankle stability in my footwear.) I figure about 8 lbs of snacks, water and frequently needed gear will be up front.

#173091 - 12/15/12 04:32 PM Re: What A Problem I Have! [Re: Doppelgänger]
JPete Offline

Doppelgänger,

Don't think I can help you with the connector question. Each wing of my waist belt is sewed into the sideseam of the pack. I see no other connector. If the modification of the belt is to eliminate the wide, padded part of the belt (which I suppose might be described as "trapezoidal") I would say no. For me, that is where the weight rides, and the weight savings (very little) could not possibly outweigh the comfort advantage (for me it's a really comfortable ride, I wouldn't tamper with it).I would estimate that when I have the straps right, I have at least 60 percent of the weight on those pads, maybe more.

The Neoair I'm using is now several years old, a three-quarter length from the original line, 50 inches by 20. I keep a little air, roll it foot to head, slip it into the pack and let it unroll (20 inches deep, almost exactly the depth of the pack) keeping the valve at the top so that I can adjust the air slightly if needed. The pack is not waterproof, so I line it with a trash bag, then add my gear and snug it down tight.

I have considered splitting the weight as you describe, but it's now light enough, and sufficiently stable that I see no reason to do so. I certainly will if I ever take my working camera gear on the trail again.

The pack hugs me like a monkey, even when I get in a hurry with the packing. Also, it somehow stays cool and ventilated in spite of that. Don't know how that works.

I would strongly advise you to talk with Ron directly (like telephone) both on the fitting and on the rigging for splitting your gear. I find him creative and helpful. Just remember that he builds very nice gear in his own shop, and has become popular. It doesn't come overnight.

Hope this helps. best, jcp

#173097 - 12/15/12 08:14 PM Re: What A Problem I Have! [Re: JPete]
Doppelgänger Offline

Doppelgänger,

If the modification of the belt is to eliminate the wide, padded part of the belt ... I would say no. For me, that is where the weight rides, and the weight savings (very little) could not possibly outweigh the comfort advantage (for me it's a really comfortable ride, I wouldn't tamper with it)...

My feelings exactly. Thanks.

The Neoair I'm using is now several years old, a three-quarter length from the original line, 50 inches by 20. I keep a little air, roll it foot to head, slip it into the pack and let it unroll ... keeping the valve at the top so that I can adjust the air slightly if needed.

Okay, yeah, that's what I was doing with my 3/4 (not 1/2) Thermarest. I'm surprised a Neoair will suffice. Learn something new every day.

I have considered splitting the weight as you describe, but it's now light enough, and sufficiently stable that I see no reason to do so. I certainly will if I ever take my working camera gear on the trail again.

My AT system was a Z55 with a 4L hip pack brought forward, maxed out with 14lbs of food, 2lbs of water and 20lbs of gear weight. I got rid of 12 lbs of gear weight, shrinking my pack's volume and weight on the back and increasing it on the front to forward all my immediate-need gear, so I wouldn't have to de-bag to get anything until my major meal at dinner time. Speed's the need. Filter, maps, camera, toiletries, med-kit, tool-kit, layers, snacks, even ready made cold meals accessible without de-bagging, so I don't have to make major time consuming stops. I estimate I was idle over 4 hours of daylight each day. This is part of what will help me recover 2 hours and about 4-5 miles a day.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 197 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum