Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#172407 - 11/27/12 09:11 PM 3500 Cubic Inch backpack
DaleInTN Offline

Loc: Tennessee, USA
Hello everyone, I am considering another backpack. I am thinking about a 3500 cubic inches pack, give or take. Anyone have any good suggestions? Thanks in advance!

#172408 - 11/27/12 09:27 PM Re: 3500 Cubic Inch backpack [Re: DaleInTN]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
It has to fit YOU, not me - but you might start with the Deuter ACT Lite 50+10, Osprey Kestrel 58, and Gregory Z55, Z65, or Savant 58. I've used all three, and see a lot of them on the trails.

#172409 - 11/27/12 09:32 PM Re: 3500 Cubic Inch backpack [Re: Glenn Roberts]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
As glenn points out, you could buy a well-made, well-designed pack with an impeccable record of happy customers, and if that pack doesn't fit YOU, you could be one very unhappy guy. So, be prepared to test out every pack you think you want, looking for a good fit.

#172410 - 11/28/12 02:03 AM Re: 3500 Cubic Inch backpack [Re: DaleInTN]
lori Offline

I think if your gear fits in the pack and the pack fits you (and carries the weight without causing soreness), it's a good pack to have.

You need the measurement between the iliac crest and that vertebrae that sticks out when you bend your head forward to dial in the size of the backpack.

If your size fits in the middle it's a guess whether to go with the next size up or the size down. I go the direction that gives me a little room for adjustment - if the straps and load lifters have to be cinched allllllllll the way up for the pack to fit, time to go to the smaller size.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#172437 - 11/28/12 09:54 PM Re: 3500 Cubic Inch backpack [Re: DaleInTN]
DaleInTN Offline

Thanks for the information! I am learning a lot! When I bought the pack I now have, I thought bigger was better. I bought a 5600 c.i. pack that is only used for a 3day 2 night trip. I don't regret buying that one, I just realize that I could get by with a smaller one for those shorter trips. Thanks a lot for the information!

#172458 - 11/29/12 12:19 PM Re: 3500 Cubic Inch backpack [Re: DaleInTN]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Knowing it's for shorter trips is a helpful piece of data. To have any hope of a helpful response, I suggest that you talk about what you prioritize in a pack: cost, durability, weight, any particular features --- you can't optimize for everything, and knowing which factors are most/least important to you is necessary for anyone to give you useful input.

Having an idea of what min/max weight loads you might anticipate carrying in the pack could be helpful too, especially if you're thinking in terms of pretty lightweight packs.

#172472 - 11/29/12 06:55 PM Re: 3500 Cubic Inch backpack [Re: BrianLe]
DaleInTN Offline

Yes, it would be for shorter trips.. probably just a weekend. Any longer than that and I'll use my 5600 c.i. pack. Price and quality are probably the most important to me, but a close second is how comfortable it is. Also, I don't have a scale, so I haven't been able to weigh my pack, but I would say that it is around 40 pounds. It should be lighter now because I purchased a new tent which saved me 5 pounds. I am also looking at clothing from Goodwill to reduce weight (looking for down jackets, ect.) and not my bank account. Thanks for the insight from everyone!

#172475 - 11/29/12 09:13 PM Re: 3500 Cubic Inch backpack [Re: DaleInTN]
lori Offline

I'm always curious what the heck people take that's different on longer trips. I can get 5 - 6 days in my 40 liter pack, then I need a bigger bear canister. The gear stays pretty much the same from one trip to the next, just the fuel and food changes.... and I always have enough room left in the pack for extras of both, if I don't need a bear can.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#172508 - 12/01/12 01:12 PM Re: 3500 Cubic Inch backpack [Re: DaleInTN]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Quote:
"Price and quality are probably the most important to me, but a close second is how comfortable it is. Also, I don't have a scale, so I haven't been able to weigh my pack, but I would say that it is around 40 pounds."

Excellent detail, though I would quibble with the word "quality" --- is this just durability, or other aspects?

Anyway, your priorities tell me that I'm the wrong guy to reply, I have no experience in that particular zone-of-gear choice set. Hopefully you'll get some replies from others who optimize more along the line of how you do!

#172617 - 12/04/12 04:12 PM Re: 3500 Cubic Inch backpack [Re: lori]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
Lori, I don't need bear canister (or haven't up to here) but I get along very nicely on 40 litres, even on long trips. What I carry varies very little by length of trip. Weather is a bigger factor (more clothes, bigger sleeping bag, more calories of food when it gets really cold). best, jcp

#172620 - 12/04/12 05:14 PM Re: 3500 Cubic Inch backpack [Re: lori]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By lori
I'm always curious what the heck people take that's different on longer trips. I can get 5 - 6 days in my 40 liter pack, then I need a bigger bear canister. The gear stays pretty much the same from one trip to the next, just the fuel and food changes.... and I always have enough room left in the pack for extras of both, if I don't need a bear can.

You know lori, I have noticed that the more experienced someone is, the less they change their gear choices for length of trip. The only thing that changes is food and fuel. But, that is a personal observation using a small sample size.

#172625 - 12/04/12 05:52 PM Re: 3500 Cubic Inch backpack [Re: finallyME]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Sometimes on shorter trips I take MORE junk because I don't need to reserve space or weight for food/fuel.

But as has been observed, in general my gear is the same for both long or short trips and the only increase for length of trip is food/fuel.

#172626 - 12/04/12 05:59 PM Re: 3500 Cubic Inch backpack [Re: DTape]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I also have exactly the same stuff for a longer trip; the only increase is food and fuel. Even for a 10-day trip (the upper limit on weight for me at 26-27 lbs.) everything fits in a 2400 cu. inch pack plus outside mesh pockets.

I too may take a little more for a 1 or 2 night trip, usually a larger tent, especially if it's a base camp type trip.

Even with a bear canister and hauling grandkid stuff, my pack contents have never overflowed into the extension collar of my pack.

To the OP--You might want to check out the articles on the home page of this site, left hand column.

Edited by OregonMouse (12/04/12 06:04 PM)

#172630 - 12/04/12 07:18 PM Re: 3500 Cubic Inch backpack [Re: OregonMouse]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Same here, only changes are amounts of food and number of pairs of spare socks.

#172924 - 12/11/12 01:55 PM Re: 3500 Cubic Inch backpack [Re: JPete]
MMD Offline

Love Gossamer Gear! Try a GG Gorilla.

#174648 - 02/04/13 06:52 AM Re: 3500 Cubic Inch backpack [Re: DaleInTN]
JMB Offline

I like the REI Flash 30. Decent pack at a decent price and great return policy if it doesn't work out.

#174777 - 02/06/13 10:16 PM Re: 3500 Cubic Inch backpack [Re: JMB]
djtrekker Offline

Loc: Virginia
I use Osprey 60. My choice is because of hip belt system, customizable and detachable. I agree with other posters; it's about how it fits YOU! Truly, backpacks fit very differently among brands, and that is absolutely paramount. If you feel good with a brand that no one has ever heard of, buy it and don't listen to any criticisms!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum