Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#171648 - 11/08/12 02:52 AM Re: Chicken&Rice Tacos with sauteed veggie on ESBIT [Re: rockchucker22]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
Hello eveyone, Despite the sputtering on and off again rain and wind YESTERDAY. I headed outside pitchd a tarp and settled in to cook some Delicious chicken and rice tacos on the ESBIT folding emergency stove!

I have to say the more I use this stove the more impressed I am with it. It's amazing to me how something so simple can work so well! I highly recommend one to anyone thinking of giving ESBIT a shot!

With two additional tortillas this dish could probably feed two people. I had some extra tomato and avavodo left over. It was also all I could do to finish it.

I had just eaten breakfast an hour before though. Had it been after along day hiking I'm sure I'd of made short work of all of it even the avacodo and tomato!

As far as this video goes I didn't bother trying to edit it. I also left it in its original format as it seems to be of better picture and sound quality this way. It is a much larger file though so if you find that it lags a lot please let me know. And ill upload a different format.

As always I really hope you enjoy!

Ps. I didn't forget the cheese. I just had my fill of it an hour beforehand. On my scrambled eggs and my hashbrowns.

#171664 - 11/08/12 10:53 AM Re: Chicken&Rice Tacos with sauteed veggie on ESBIT [Re: Samoset]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Great video!

I really think it is neat that you shoot these videos barefoot. It definitely gives it a backcountry feel (though I'm rarely barefoot in the backcountry).

Have you considered using a shallot instead of a small onion? It seemed like you ended up with too much vegetables. You could get a nice fat shallot that would be about half the size of that onion. I will often do that when I only need a little onion.

#171669 - 11/08/12 01:04 PM Re: Chicken&Rice Tacos with sauteed veggie on ESBIT [Re: BZH]
Samoset Offline

In all honesty I usually have three tortillas per dish. And I believe had I had the third the ratio would have been a little more distributed. But I really like a lot of veggies in my tacos aswell as on my pizza! I do use shallots some times but I had a bag of onions already that had a few small ones in it. So I just picked one of those.

As far as being barefoot. If I'm not at work that's how I spend 90% of the time! I had some flipflops while setting up the tarp. I just kicked them off. To avoid getting any mud on my sleeping or sitpad, which is a totally normal practice for me while in the backcountry.

Thanks for the encouragement and insight its really appreciated. I'm thinking ill do a dish or two more on ESBIT. Then maybe discuss some of the things I make for my family on canister stoves.

I've asked the seafood department at my local grocer if he would order some whole dressed Rainbow trout. Well se if he does if not we will be using fillets. I'll probably do them on a large capacity alcohol stove! Think modified Jim Wood Cat Stove! Or something like Tinys from MBD sketti foster can stove.

I'm really open to suggestions and questions if anyone has any thanks again!

#171679 - 11/08/12 04:03 PM Re: Chicken&Rice Tacos with sauteed veggie on ESBIT [Re: Samoset]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
Actually, these videos bring up a whole set of ideas:
1. Hmmmm for winter camping, it gets dark early, no bears - why not use some of that dark time to make a nice meal...

2. I'm not a big fan of videos, but after seeing yours maybe there is some merit to them wink The brain is thinking of other interesting BP stuff to video (snow shelters, ....)

#171686 - 11/08/12 07:33 PM Re: Chicken&Rice Tacos with sauteed veggie on ESBIT [Re: Heather-ak]
Samoset Offline

sorry Heather but I doubt ill be getting enough snow down here to make any shelters!

#171688 - 11/08/12 09:05 PM Re: Chicken&Rice Tacos with sauteed veggie on ESBIT [Re: Samoset]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
Another great video! So we have breakfast, lunch, what's for dinner Sam? Love it ! I bought some spam lite singles for my next trip!

#171694 - 11/08/12 09:48 PM Re: Chicken&Rice Tacos with sauteed veggie on ESBIT [Re: rockchucker22]
Samoset Offline

Honestly solo. I don't do hot lunches.

With the wifey however hot tea or coffee at lunch is almost guaranteed.

Me I usually just snack while I walk even though I love good food. I'm a walker at heart and usually put big miles between breakfast and dinner!

Which is why I also have a Passion for good snacks.

I'm thinking of doing another breakfast.

Blueberry Bannock topped with raw honey.
And to keep the critics at bay this time ill actually make some Cowbow Coffee.

My Basic single serve breakfast bannock recipe!

1/2Cup whole wheat non bleached flour!
1 heavy pinch sea salt
1/2 tsp double acting baking powder
1 heaping Tbsp Nido AKA"powderd milk "
1 tsp raw sugar
1 pinch cinnamon
Feel free to add fresh or dried berries and or chopped nuts.

Top with asmuch honey as you can handle I like a lot.

Edited by Samoset (11/08/12 09:48 PM)

#171703 - 11/08/12 10:52 PM Re: Chicken&Rice Tacos with sauteed veggie on ESBIT [Re: Samoset]
rockchucker22 Offline

Well I ordered 2 of those stoves and a couple of packages of esbit, I can't seem to find it locally.

#171704 - 11/08/12 10:59 PM Re: Chicken&Rice Tacos with sauteed veggie on ESBIT [Re: rockchucker22]
Samoset Offline

I'm sure you will be happy with them. They are wicked light and super simple to operate!

Just be sure to use a wind screen and pair it up. With a cookset that isn't to large for it!

#171861 - 11/11/12 09:09 PM Re: Chicken&Rice Tacos with sauteed veggie on ESBIT [Re: Samoset]
Cranman Offline

Loc: Central NC
You've inspired me to try some trail cooking on our trip next weekend. I had been doing freezer bag cooking but I think for the first nights meal I will make your chicken and rice tacos. I know that will taste extra good up on the mountain under the stars!

I think I may try a disposable foil pan for cooking the veggies. I'm not a fan of doing dishes, and I can handle one pot for the rice. I'll have to figure out some sort of heat diffuser for my stove though...shoudn't be too hard to do.

#171922 - 11/13/12 09:48 PM Re: Chicken&Rice Tacos with sauteed veggie on ESBIT [Re: Cranman]
Samoset Offline

Here's a tip CranMan you can make a foil pouch out of extra duty foil like from oven liners!

Hope they turn out well for you!

On another note was walking around a hard sale to day and the kids of the owners where cooking some grilled PB&J's in pie irons. On a small fire in the yard!

You should have seen the gears turning in my head! It'd been along Time sense I had a nice pie iron!

Actually did my first cooking in one as a young lad!

I'm on the hunt for a good set of AL nonstick pie irons. If anyone has suggestions for a good brand please let me know?

#171923 - 11/13/12 11:26 PM Re: Chicken&Rice Tacos with sauteed veggie on ESBIT [Re: Samoset]
rockchucker22 Offline

What's a pie iron?

#171928 - 11/14/12 08:08 AM Pie Iron [Re: rockchucker22]
Samoset Offline

Originally Posted By rockchucker22
What's a pie iron?

There are literally thousands of recipes for them all over the internet not sure about packing, but I could sure get some good use out of them car camping and at home with the kids.

Edited by Samoset (11/14/12 08:13 AM)

#171929 - 11/14/12 08:49 AM Re: Pie Iron [Re: Samoset]
Cranman Offline

I'm pretty sure walmart carries a aluminum one. Never thought about it but besides pies(!) and sandwiches it seems like all manner of foods in foil pouches could be cooked over the fire in one of those! Of course you can put foil pouches in/on a fire to some degree, but the pie iron would make it alot easier to get in and out, turn, manage the heat, etc. Something to try next trip!

#171932 - 11/14/12 09:29 AM Re: Pie Iron [Re: Cranman]
Samoset Offline

My experience with the irons are that they close tight enough to cook most foods directly directly in them!

In my original post I ment that you could use the heavy duty packet . To cook directly in.
The pie irons are just something I'm interested in as I'm sure my boys would love the products I could produce cooking over the coals of a fire in our backyard.

#172063 - 11/18/12 05:34 PM Re: Pie Iron [Re: Samoset]
Cranman Offline

I made the tacos this weekend and they were awesome. Really they were as good as many meals I have made at home. The canned chicken blended with the peppers and onions, some cajun seasoning and the spanish rice actually made the chicken taste good.

One idea I had was to pre-wrap the tortillas in foil and use them as the pot lid while cooking the rice so they can warm up that way. Then after I cooked the chicken, peppers and onions I added them to the rice and mixed it all up, and it was easier to build the tacos.

Also my buddy had some pre-chopped peppers and onions in a zip loc baggie, quicker and easier than trying to do it trailside.

This will be something we probably cook alot, it was really good.

#172112 - 11/19/12 12:35 PM Re: Pie Iron [Re: Cranman]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I really like the idea of warming the tortilla's on the top of the pot. I live in LA, so I can get pretty picky about Mexican food. A nice warm tortilla is heavenly, but a cold dry tortilla approaches cardboard pretty fast. This has always been an obstacle for me in using tortillas backpacking.

#172139 - 11/19/12 08:54 PM Re: Pie Iron [Re: Cranman]
Samoset Offline

Originally Posted By Cranman

Also my buddy had some pre-chopped peppers and onions in a zip loc baggie, quicker and easier than trying to do it trailside.

This will be something we probably cook alot, it was really good.

Really glad you enjoyed them.

As far as pre cutting the peppers and onions. Once you cut anything you increase the surface are for bacteria to feed/breed . Increasing the rate of which your food will spoil astronomicaly. You also increase your risk of contracting food born illnesses.

Your probably safe overnight. But I always find it better to cut fresh.

#172268 - 11/22/12 10:00 PM Bannock & Esbit ! [Re: Samoset]
Samoset Offline

Ok girls and boys! sorry for the delay but I give you my word within the next two days ill have another video up cooking on the ESBIT emergency stove.

I'm planning on shooting tomorrow morning we will c. Sometimes being a husband and a dad gets in the way of my plans.

^ But that's exactly what I'm thankfull for^

Edited by Samoset (11/22/12 10:46 PM)

#172428 - 11/28/12 02:31 PM Re: Bannock & Esbit ! [Re: Samoset]
Samoset Offline

sorry
But either my wife or one of my two boys has hid my cookset from me. I've looked for it for three days now. I just keep forgetting to ask my wife about it when she Is home in the evening!

Soon as it turns up ill shoot the video!

#172431 - 11/28/12 04:50 PM Re: Bannock & Esbit ! [Re: Samoset]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Quote:
...either my wife or one of my two boys has hid my cookset from me. I've looked for it for three days now.

I hope that's not a comment on your cooking!
lol

#172441 - 11/28/12 11:13 PM Re: Bannock & Esbit ! [Re: Samoset]
rockchucker22 Offline

Originally Posted By Samoset
sorry
But either my wife or one of my two boys has hid my cookset from me. I've looked for it for three days now. I just keep forgetting to ask my wife about it when she Is home in the evening!

Soon as it turns up ill shoot the video!
Oh come on man, you lost your stove!

#172451 - 11/29/12 09:53 AM Re: Bannock & Esbit ! [Re: rockchucker22]
Samoset Offline

Yeah yeah I know.

I left it in the stuff sack on the kitchen counter. And that was not aesthetically pleasing to my wife so she put it up! That's what she told Me last night. Up where I asked. "Umm" was the response I got back.
I'm going to search all of her normal hiding spots today!

#173052 - 12/13/12 08:00 PM Re: ?Heavy Weight Cooking With Sam? [Re: Samoset]
Samoset Offline

Sorry Guys but I landed a new job opening a brand new restaurant. And I've been extremely busy, long days and nights! As soon as I get a few moments to myself ill make you a new video! I found my cook set stuffed in a cabinet! So where good on that,

its just the lack of time that's Ben killing me I've been pulling a lot of overtime :

And spending some time with my kids at the end of the day has taken priority !

There still coming I haven't forgot about you guys!

#180853 - 11/18/13 09:57 PM Re: ?Heavy Weight Cooking With Sam? [Re: Samoset]
Drummerguy Offline

Loc: PA
Just wanted to say THANKS Sam I like your vids.. I go kayak camping 4-5 times a year and will be preparing some "good eats" next year.. Not that I'm getting sick of deer tenderloins but a weekend diet of meat, cheese, chips and beer isn't all that healthy.. Your meals are definitely healthier.. Thanks again..CD

Edited by Drummerguy (11/18/13 09:58 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 158 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum