Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#170133 - 10/05/12 01:46 PM Re: Starting a fire? [Re: jbylake]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
The topic of fires is almost as volatile as handguns. You will get a lot of people who say "never" and a lot who say "always". When I backpack, I generally don't like fires. It all depends on my schedule, and the regs of the place I am in. If the regs allow it, then it depends on how much time I have, and how close to water I am. I don't believe in throwing dirt over the fire to put it out. I either douse it or don't build it. If I have to haul water a distance, and I don't have a suitable "dirty" container, then I probably won't make one.
I carry a little container of vaseline, and dry cotton balls. Then I rub some vaseline in when I need to. That way I can use the vaseline for other purposes, like first aid. Starting a fire this way is very easy, since it burns for so long. I also carry matches, a lighter, and a ferro rod. I also carry a magnesium rod. The mag rod is harder to use because you have to make a pile of shavings, but if you practice, you can figure out how to do it right. Sometimes I carry a magnifying glass. My first choice is to use a magnifying glass, it is fun, it takes some skill and perfect conditions, and it uses no resources. The next option is the ferro rod. It is fun, takes skill and uses a little more resources. If that fails, then out comes the bic. My matches are my last ditch effort, because they cost money, can break easily, and I have a limited amount.

#170181 - 10/06/12 03:01 PM Re: Starting a fire? [Re: lori]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Lori, do you mean the REI waterproof matches failed? Never seen that happen. I'm talking about the wooden ones that are mini sparklers and don't go out until all the flammable coating is used up.

#170183 - 10/06/12 03:14 PM Re: Starting a fire? [Re: TomD]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By TomD
Lori, do you mean the REI waterproof matches failed? Never seen that happen. I'm talking about the wooden ones that are mini sparklers and don't go out until all the flammable coating is used up.

That's what I'm talking about. I had the match fall apart when I tried to strike it. And one time everything was so wet that even when I got my tinder lit, the fire wouldn't go - the REI match burnt out, the tinder burnt out, and the twigs kindled for all of a few seconds - then the fire died. Short of carrying dry wood, I'm not sure how we could have gotten it going. But that's why you always have layers.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#170199 - 10/07/12 03:54 AM Re: Starting a fire? [Re: lori]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Hmm, I haven't had one do that yet-fall apart and I used them in winter. But I kept them in a plastic bag, so maybe that helped. One thing with a liquid fuel stove, if you have enough, you should be able to start almost anything on fire.

#170206 - 10/07/12 03:09 PM Re: Starting a fire? [Re: TomD]
jbylake Offline

Loc: Northern KY USA
One thing that I've done in wet coditions, and only in an area with a fire ring, is to take the top off of my MSR fuel bottle, and pour a little coleman/white gas on. Make sure to put the lid tightly back on the fuel bottle, and move it far from your intended fire spot.

Stand back and throw a vaseline cotton ball, or match. The fire ball can be pretty awesome, so I only reccomend this as a last resort. But, you can skip the tiny kindling, the small pieces and medium small will boil off the moisture and burn pretty well.

Again, I've only done this a few times over the years, as it is unsafe. Make sure you haven't spilled any on your clothing.
Not a brilliant method, but it beats freezing in cold rain/snow, when all else fails. The white gas is much more volatile, than charcoal lighter fluid so really be careful, and again, use extreme caution.

This method reminds me of the last thing you hear a Kentuckian say before he dies..."Hey Ya'll watch this"...O.K., I can say that, you cant... cry

J. (Kentuckian)

#170207 - 10/07/12 03:51 PM Re: Starting a fire? [Re: jbylake]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By jbylake
One thing that I've done in wet coditions, and only in an area with a fire ring, is to take the top off of my MSR fuel bottle, and pour a little coleman/white gas on. Make sure to put the lid tightly back on the fuel bottle, and move it far from your intended fire spot.

Stand back and throw a vaseline cotton ball, or match. The fire ball can be pretty awesome, so I only reccomend this as a last resort. But, you can skip the tiny kindling, the small pieces and medium small will boil off the moisture and burn pretty well.

Again, I've only done this a few times over the years, as it is unsafe. Make sure you haven't spilled any on your clothing.
Not a brilliant method, but it beats freezing in cold rain/snow, when all else fails. The white gas is much more volatile, than charcoal lighter fluid so really be careful, and again, use extreme caution.

This method reminds me of the last thing you hear a Kentuckian say before he dies..."Hey Ya'll watch this"...O.K., I can say that, you cant... cry

J. (Kentuckian)

In my opinion it is more effective to build the fire as normal and soak a wad of toilet paper in the gas. Then put the toilet paper in a strategic spot and light. That way, the fuel doesn't go up all at once.

If the fire doesn't light on the first try, do NOT pour white gas on it directly or you can light up the whole bottle. If this happens, be sure to get a video.

#170274 - 10/09/12 03:50 PM Re: Starting a fire? [Re: Gershon]
Dave H Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
When its wet if you have a decent sized pocket knife you can split small sticks to get to the inner dry wood. Stand the stick up. Place the knife blade across the end of the stick with the sharp edge pointing down. Hit the back of the knife blade with another stick of wood to drive the knife down into the stick. Some of the knifeblade should stick out so you can continue to drive it down through the wood. Never try to chop wood with a knife, that might be another video.

#170276 - 10/09/12 05:28 PM Re: Starting a fire? [Re: jbylake]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By jbylake

J. (Kentuckian)

Believe it or not, you actually need a little skill to start a fire with gas. I took my scouts on a backpacking trip in early September a few years ago. Maybe I can find the trip report...(found it, I don't know how to link to it. Search under "Notch Lake, Uintas Report" posted on 9/13/2010)...Anyways, the boys wanted a fire, but I really didn't want the hassle, even though we were close to water. So, I told them they could have one, but I wasn't helping. So, off they went to gather firewood. If you have ever seen my scouts gather fire wood, it is kinda funny. They leave for 10 minutes and come back with a tiny little stick in each hand. Anyways, they came back with green wood that was on the ground, or even green wood from trees with green leaves still on them. This was a little frustrating for me since I had spent the last two months teaching them proper fire techniques. Anyways, I tell them they need to find dry wood. So, off they go and come back with more green wood, the set up a fire lay and go about trying to light it. They try matches, they try lighters, they scrape and scrape on the fero rod....nothing. Then one of the leaders offers a little white gas. They pour it on, it lights up and they think they are good to go. I tell them it will be out in 5 minutes. Sure enough it was out before that. By this time I have a little more sympathy for them, so off I go for dry wood. 100 ft from our campsite, and 2 minutes later I come back with a hand full. Then I break it up in little pieces, arrange from small to large, get my cotton ball, put some PJ on it, and light it with the fero rod. Sustained fire with the wood burning soon commenced. Then I went and brought back some more dry wood and told them I wasn't getting any more. That fire didn't last long because they wouldn't go get more wood. They did go back and got some more green wood, but not enough to last very long.

#170617 - 10/15/12 08:49 PM Re: Starting a fire? [Re: finallyME]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
I saw a video of a bunch of guys building a huge bonfire with small trees on the outside. Then the guy poured 5 gallons of gasoline inside it and after giving it a chance to evaporate a bit they tossed in a match. When it went off pieces of wood weighing over 100 pounds moved at high speeds toward the fire builders. It was the fuel air mix inside the "structure" that blew up with the force of several sticks of dynamite.

Now gunpowder, especially the black powder type, will get a fire going... You can supposedly dump powder out of a few rounds, put it in your tinder and fire a spark at it from the entied shells - maybe one will hit powder. I haven't tried this...
Jim smile

#170631 - 10/15/12 11:50 PM Re: Starting a fire? [Re: Jimshaw]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I can hear the eulogy now:

"...And, of course, we all remember Jim's last words: 'Hey, y'all, watch this!' " smile

#170648 - 10/16/12 12:08 PM Re: Starting a fire? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Yeah, those are sure fire ways to have more fun than you really need.

Back in the mid `70's the fire chief of Rockford, IL made the headlines in the local newspaper and TV news when he was squirting lighter fluid on a charcoal grill for a "Firemen's Picnic". As I recall he got a lot more than just the charcoal burning, but they got it extinguished pretty quickly. Talk about embarrassing... blush

"You want to go where?"

#170714 - 10/18/12 10:16 PM Re: Starting a fire? [Re: finallyME]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
I applied finallyME's lesson with my kids this past weekend. Well worth it.

To respond to Bill's story about the fire chief, my scoutmaster did the same thing at home when I was 11. It provided a powerful lesson when he came to camp with barbequed hands.

#171933 - 11/14/12 09:30 AM Re: Starting a fire? [Re: uRabbit]
alrany187 Offline

Loc: Western New York
Originally Posted By uRabbit
Please don't laugh! Haha.

My wife and I are going to start backpacking. We got our tent, sleeping bags, packs, etc. Most of the essentials. Need to accumulate a few more things, but it's coming along.

We both absolutely fail at starting fires. Care to provide some links to some informative articles?

I would like to offer this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brb4usB35WU video as instruction on making a small twig fire.

I would also suggest using a small BIC lighter as your primary fire starting tool, but have a back up such as a ferro rod, just in case. Check your tinder to get an idea of how long they will burn. Vaseline/cotton balls have a couple of minutes burn time. I use a short piece of corrugated cardboard with the paper taken off one side, then roll it and tie it off with some jute twine. Finally dip this in some beeswax and let it dry. Light your tinder or light the jute twine with your lighter and use this to get your fire going. I have had one of these tinder tubes burn for 20+ minutes.

Regards,

Ellis

Edited by alrany187 (11/14/12 03:44 PM)

"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 292 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum