Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#171917 - 11/13/12 04:28 PM Re: Headlamps [Re: rionada]
Dave H Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
I currently have an older BD Icon which has a 3 watt spot not sure what that compares to but it more than lights the trail for me. It is on the heavy side so I have been considering the Gerber 31-001028 http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-31-001028-Grylls-Battery-Storage/dp/B006M9PTJ0 I know it is Bear Grylls but what the heck, it uses 1 AAA I haven't seen any brightness ratings or runtimes but I bet you stick a lithium AAA in there in it will be bright enough lite and decent runtime and cheap enough. Anyone have any experience we these?

#171918 - 11/13/12 06:06 PM Re: Headlamps [Re: Dave H]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
I'm kornfuzed--specs say it takes 2xAAs but the spare battery pic shows a AAA poking out. Any idea which is reality?

Very generally, LED arrays are fine "floody" lights for in camp, maybe less effective for nighttime walking. I like hybrids that offer spot and flood options. Throw in a red option and a last-mode-used memory feature and I'm in headlamp heaven.

Cheers,

Originally Posted By Dave H
I currently have an older BD Icon which has a 3 watt spot not sure what that compares to but it more than lights the trail for me. It is on the heavy side so I have been considering the Gerber 31-001028 http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-31-001028-Grylls-Battery-Storage/dp/B006M9PTJ0 I know it is Bear Grylls but what the heck, it uses 1 AAA I haven't seen any brightness ratings or runtimes but I bet you stick a lithium AAA in there in it will be bright enough lite and decent runtime and cheap enough. Anyone have any experience we these?

#171919 - 11/13/12 07:16 PM Re: Headlamps [Re: Rick_D]
Dave H Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
The specs does say AA but I have confirmed that it actually is a single AAA with a place to carry a spare.

#171959 - 11/14/12 03:55 PM Re: Headlamps [Re: rockchucker22]
Ken S Offline

Loc: Saint Charles, MO
My princeton tec byte has worked well so far. I didnt get the stated time out of it though when initially testing with fresh energizers. Got just shy of 30 hours on the low white setting.

#173201 - 12/21/12 09:43 AM Re: Headlamps [Re: rionada]
Blue_Ridge_Ninja Offline

Loc: North Georgia
Originally Posted By rionada
I use a Petzl e+lite. It's only 26 lumens on high (55 hours!)- so it's not super bright and may not work for meat hauling. But I've hiked in the dark with it and it worked just fine. Also, it has a red light for checking things out in the dark without ruining your night vision.

It weighs less than an ounce and has a positive on off switch (I'm not a big fan of the soft switches - they always seem to find a way to turn themselves on while in my pack).

Most of the time I use it to cook, read, or walk around camp. And for those chores it's perfect.

I'm thinking about getting one of those. Do you have the older model with the actual headband, or the newer one with the thin bunjee type cord? Is it comfortable? Any dislikes?

#173204 - 12/21/12 10:55 AM Re: Headlamps [Re: Blue_Ridge_Ninja]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
The e+lite is okay for in camp but is a poor trail light. It's not regulated and the tiny button cells become progressively dimmer, instantly. As a result, output remains brightest on the high setting for only a brief while.

If you never have to hike at night, this might not be a issue.

My $0.02.

Cheers,

Edited by Rick_D (12/21/12 01:12 PM)

#173209 - 12/21/12 12:26 PM Re: Headlamps [Re: Blue_Ridge_Ninja]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
W.r.t. the Petzl e+lite, Blue_Ridge_Ninja asked:
Quote:
"I'm thinking about getting one of those. Do you have the older model with the actual headband, or the newer one with the thin bunjee type cord? Is it comfortable? Any dislikes?"

I wasn't aware that there was an older vs. newer model. Mine has an elastic band, which works just fine for me FWIW.

I can't think of any dislikes. If the unit still comes in a plastic hardshell type of case, I suggest that you discard that --- I've carried mine for many miles and months on trail just in a sandwich size ziplock (to keep the cord from tangling with other stuff) and it still works just fine.

If you anticipate going through a lot of batteries, they're likely cheaper bought in bulk online, and those type of batteries have quite a long shelf life. Since my wife also has the same headlamp it makes sense to buy like 20 or so of the, I think it is, CR-2032 (?) batteries. Batteries are so light that I just always carry a spare set.

Caveat: not my favorite headlamp for winter hiking/camping or very early- or late-season trips. The compromise with light weight here is that it doesn't throw out THAT many lumens, but always plenty for me for use just around camp.

#174647 - 02/04/13 06:50 AM Re: Headlamps [Re: rockchucker22]
JMB Offline

I like my Petzl E-lite. Very light and a lot of different features.

#195717 - 06/09/16 04:52 AM Re: Headlamps [Re: JMB]
bob13bob Offline

Loc: California, United States
brightness is about batteries these days with any decent led light. I use the Ultrafire UF-H2 bought on ebay. it's a great wide beam flood headlamp AA powered. it has the newer led which is really bright. problem is on max power u get 1 45m light, while med low gets you 5hrs or so.

I bring a spare AA battery since I like to use it alot while I hang out at night.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum