Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#171805 - 11/10/12 06:31 PM Headlamps
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
I love headlamps, but last year I got caught off trail in the dark and my black diamond was woefully dim and couldn't / wouldn't allow me to see around the downed trees. It must of took an extra 2 hours to get back to my main camp.

What high power headlamp that doesn't weigh a bunch do you guys use?

Thanks!

#171806 - 11/10/12 06:38 PM Re: Headlamps [Re: rockchucker22]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
I honestly for night hiking miss my BD Spot! Which some how ended up missing I had the old version. For the last year I've been using a Princeton tech byte and I'm really not impressed with and have been contemplating buying the new SPOT. So if anyone out there has the new spot I'd really like to know what you think.

Edited by Samoset (11/10/12 06:39 PM)

#171812 - 11/10/12 08:46 PM Re: Headlamps [Re: rockchucker22]
verber Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
What BD headlamp where you using? If you where using the BD Ion, just about any decent headlamp would be an improvement. Personally, I have found that around 20 lumens is enough when following a good trail but when trying to do way finding, that I want at least 75 lumens with a decent focus or hot spot, and ideally something that I can briefly run about 150 lumens.

My favorite headlamp that meets these specs is the Zebralight H51. There are a bunch of others that would get the job done. I have some additional thoughts on my recommended lighting. page.

#171813 - 11/10/12 09:24 PM Re: Headlamps [Re: verber]
rockchucker22 Offline

I was looking at Zebra lights, my concern with the 51 is .9 hours run time on high.

#171817 - 11/10/12 10:35 PM Re: Headlamps [Re: rockchucker22]
Richard Cullip Offline

Loc: Poway, CA
Originally Posted By rockchucker22
I was looking at Zebra lights, my concern with the 51 is .9 hours run time on high.

I can't imagine needing to run it on high. I find that it is very bright on lower settings.

#171818 - 11/10/12 10:56 PM Re: Headlamps [Re: rockchucker22]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Frankly, high power is over rated. I say this because I learned to hike at night when there was no such thing as a high powered light. Most of my hiking was accomplished with a carbide light,adjusted to a moderate flame and equipped with a parabolic mirror for somewhat more of a "throw" type beam. Often I did not use even that much light - it is amazing how well you can see once your eyes are dark adapted. In situations where the moon was out, that was plenty of light- no need usually for any kind of light. CAUTION: This would not be the case if you are hiking in precipitous country. A light could well be life saving in that situation.

I have been using a Zebralight H502 while bike commuting and I like it a lot - well made, light, and plenty of light. While I use at its highest setting (170 lumens) while on the bike, I would keep it at lower settings while hiking. It would be handheld most of the time so that I would maintain decent depth perception. I also have a Gerber Ultimate Infinity which gives a moderate lumen level (25 lumens or so?? for a very long time. That would also be a very acceptable fairly cheap option. It could easily become a headlamp f you use a Nite-Ize headband or similar.

#171822 - 11/10/12 11:18 PM Re: Headlamps [Re: Richard Cullip]
rockchucker22 Offline

When I need high I need it for several hours. Otherwise I love it, one battery, waterproof, 200 lumens, aluminum body......

#171823 - 11/10/12 11:22 PM Re: Headlamps [Re: oldranger]
rockchucker22 Offline

Originally Posted By oldranger
Frankly, high power is over rated. I say this because I learned to hike at night when there was no such thing as a high powered light. Most of my hiking was accomplished with a carbide light,adjusted to a moderate flame and equipped with a parabolic mirror for somewhat more of a "throw" type beam. Often I did not use even that much light - it is amazing how well you can see once your eyes are dark adapted. In situations where the moon was out, that was plenty of light- no need usually for any kind of light. CAUTION: This would not be the case if you are hiking in precipitous country. A light could well be life saving in that situation.

I have been using a Zebralight H502 while bike commuting and I like it a lot - well made, light, and plenty of light. While I use at its highest setting (170 lumens) while on the bike, I would keep it at lower settings while hiking. It would be handheld most of the time so that I would maintain decent depth perception. I also have a Gerber Ultimate Infinity which gives a moderate lumen level (25 lumens or so?? for a very long time. That would also be a very acceptable fairly cheap option. It could easily become a headlamp f you use a Nite-Ize headband or similar.
do you know the difference between the 502 and the 51? Thanks for you well put reply!

#171826 - 11/11/12 12:28 AM Re: Headlamps [Re: rockchucker22]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
I use a Tikka XP2 with Core Li-ion battery that on longer trips I recharge in the field with a Solio solar charger. It's always fully charged and is enough light for nighttime hiking on sketchy trails.

Cheers,

#171828 - 11/11/12 03:24 AM Re: Headlamps [Re: rockchucker22]
oldranger Offline

I have no experience with the 51. I understand the 502 is a later model, with "improvements." If I had a 51, I wouldn't necessarily abandon it for the 502. i would say that ZL's entire line of lights is pretty impressive and that extra batteries are rather easy to carry along.

I have been using eneloops, getting about two commuting trips per battery charge. When I take it on a hike, I will probably use lithium batteries.

#171829 - 11/11/12 03:46 AM Re: Headlamps [Re: rockchucker22]
Brotherbob12 Offline

Loc: Sweden
I use Petzl Myo RXP. It is a great lamp 160 lumens. First one stopped working after a year but Petzl sent a new one. I like how it adjustability between very wide beam and spot. Works fine with lithium batteries for light weight and extra long battery life.

#171835 - 11/11/12 08:54 AM Re: Headlamps [Re: Brotherbob12]
rockchucker22 Offline

Petzle was the first headlamp I ever used.

#171839 - 11/11/12 11:25 AM Re: Headlamps [Re: rockchucker22]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I haven't been able to convince myself to spend the $ for a high end headlamp.

For me, the advent of the cheap LED headlamp was such a huge leap over what was previously available I haven't seen the need. The leap between a cheap headlamp and high end one is not near so great.

I've had the same cheap "Energizer" headlamp for probably 5 years now. Compared to the high-end ones it's bulky and heavy and not as bright, but it's amazing if you compare it to an old incandescent double D-Cell flashlight or a mini-Mag Lite.

I don't see very well in the dark anymore, but that light is plenty bright enough for me to hike at night. Fresh batteries make a huge difference though. Mine provides enough light to see around camp after more than eight hours of use, but if I were to go hiking with it I'd switch out the batteries first.

So I agree with oldranger, for me, and the way I use them, high powered headlamps seem overkill.

They are cool though, and I am still very impressed with some of them. cool

"You want to go where?"

#171843 - 11/11/12 02:32 PM Re: Headlamps [Re: billstephenson]
Brotherbob12 Offline

I used weaker lamps before. Once I tried a lamp with higher output it was hard to go back. I use mine almost exclusively on highest setting and it is suitable for hiking and running but for cross country skiing the 160 lumens is not enough. If you travel off track high output lamps also helps navigation.

Reactive lightning, the future of headlamps? Petzl Nao

#171845 - 11/11/12 04:48 PM Re: Headlamps [Re: Brotherbob12]
rockchucker22 Offline

Originally Posted By Brotherbob12
I used weaker lamps before. Once I tried a lamp with higher output it was hard to go back. I use mine almost exclusively on highest setting and it is suitable for hiking and running but for cross country skiing the 160 lumens is not enough. If you travel off track high output lamps also helps navigation.

Reactive lightning, the future of headlamps? Petzl Nao

That petzl is like 7 oz!

#171849 - 11/11/12 06:18 PM Re: Headlamps [Re: rockchucker22]
Brotherbob12 Offline

I did not notice we're in lightweight part of the forums Sorry.

#171850 - 11/11/12 06:50 PM Re: Headlamps [Re: Brotherbob12]
rockchucker22 Offline

No problem BB! Cool light nonetheless. It's just if I'm improving gear I'm going to go as lite and bright as possible.

I do agree about basic uses a standard headlamp works just fine, but when your in the middle of nowhere, in thick trees,at night, off trail, navigation gets tough and every little advantage helps.

Edited by rockchucker22 (11/11/12 06:59 PM)

#171855 - 11/11/12 07:52 PM Re: Headlamps [Re: billstephenson]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Hey, Bill - remember when camp lighting got revolutionized with the little plastic mouthpiece you slipped over the end of the Mini-Maglite, so you didn't have to hold the cold metal in your teeth? I think that was the first Nite-Ize product, maybe? Then came the headband, and we were in high cotton!

I was using a Princeton Tec Scout because it had the little bumpout that fit over the switch when vertical, to prevent accidental switch-ons. Last week, after my first group trip in a while, I changed to a Petzl Zipka (2 Plus?) which has both a white and red light option. After hiking alone or with one or two other people, at most, for quite a while, I had forgotten how easy it is to shine your white headlamp in other people's eyes when there are 6 or 8 of you sitting in a circle. (I finally figured out why all their headlamps had red bulbs. Duh!)

#171858 - 11/11/12 08:55 PM Re: Headlamps [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Ooooh yeah. Having gone from dad's 2xD-cell flashlight with carbon-zinc batteries that broke the bulb AND lens first time you dropped it on Boy Scout camping trips to today's zillion-lux LED headlamps that run 100 hours and would survive a trip through a woodchipper, I can't think of another piece of camping technology that's progressed further.

Cheers,

Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
Hey, Bill - remember when camp lighting got revolutionized with the little plastic mouthpiece you slipped over the end of the Mini-Maglite, so you didn't have to hold the cold metal in your teeth? I think that was the first Nite-Ize product, maybe? Then came the headband, and we were in high cotton!

I was using a Princeton Tec Scout because it had the little bumpout that fit over the switch when vertical, to prevent accidental switch-ons. Last week, after my first group trip in a while, I changed to a Petzl Zipka (2 Plus?) which has both a white and red light option. After hiking alone or with one or two other people, at most, for quite a while, I had forgotten how easy it is to shine your white headlamp in other people's eyes when there are 6 or 8 of you sitting in a circle. (I finally figured out why all their headlamps had red bulbs. Duh!)

#171860 - 11/11/12 09:03 PM Re: Headlamps [Re: oldranger]
verber Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
Originally Posted By oldranger
I understand the 502 is a later model, with "improvements." If I had a 51, I wouldn't necessarily abandon it for the 502. i would say that ZL's entire line of lights is pretty impressive and that extra batteries are rather easy to carry along.

The 502 is an updated version of the 501. The most significant difference between the 51 and the 501/502 is a reflector which greatly improves throw at the expect of a very even flood. If I was just using a light around camp, the 501/502 is wonderful, but I didn't like it at all when biking or wayfinding at night.

As others have indicated, the .9H runtime at max is typically not an issue. I use it at this level for seconds at a time. When I am trying to figure something out and need to see a good distance. Normally the headlamp is running at one of it's lower settings.

--Mark

#171868 - 11/11/12 10:29 PM Re: Headlamps [Re: verber]
rockchucker22 Offline

Thanks guys I'm leaning towards the zebra for sure 64 usd not bad all.

#171902 - 11/12/12 09:08 PM Re: Headlamps [Re: Brotherbob12]
oldranger Offline

I did a lot of hiking when only low powered headlamps were available, like carbide lamps. which I still like.

When you are restricted to low outputs, you learn to adapt, especially your eyes. It is amazing how much you can see once your eyes are fully adapted to ambient light levels. If walking on trails, you also learn to attend to the sensory imputs from your feet. It is pretty easy to know, after a bit of experience, when you have veered away from the tread or walked off the end of a switchback. If there is any kind of a moon out, or even just a very clear starry night, you may not need a light at all. If you do need one, a dim light, briefly employed, will be sufficient.

Now, if you are mountain biking or skiing at speed, it is a different story. You definitely need lots of light. If you are merely walking at night, there is something to be said for fewer lumens.

#171904 - 11/12/12 09:25 PM Re: Headlamps [Re: oldranger]
rockchucker22 Offline

Or dragging a 170 lb deer 6 miles with a gun and pack, then every extra step is like 10 extra!

I use to do a lot of full moon hikes in the summer, no light except mini mag in the thick chaparral. Loved it, too hot to get to far durring the day so we would do 50 mile 2 day humps. Night hike and day lounge, swim, nap. I miss the sespe and coastal winter hikes.

#171910 - 11/13/12 09:45 AM Re: Headlamps [Re: oldranger]
JBrzysk Offline

Loc: Western New York
letting your eyes adapt is why pirates wore eye patches to keep one eye adjusted to the dark so when they boarded ships the could see when down in the hull.

once your eyes are adjusted you can use a red light that will leave your eyes adjust but adding extra vision

#171915 - 11/13/12 01:31 PM Re: Headlamps [Re: JBrzysk]
rionada Offline

Loc: Hervey Bay, QLD Australia
I use a Petzl e+lite. It's only 26 lumens on high (55 hours!)- so it's not super bright and may not work for meat hauling. But I've hiked in the dark with it and it worked just fine. Also, it has a red light for checking things out in the dark without ruining your night vision.

It weighs less than an ounce and has a positive on off switch (I'm not a big fan of the soft switches - they always seem to find a way to turn themselves on while in my pack).

Most of the time I use it to cook, read, or walk around camp. And for those chores it's perfect.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
2 registered (), 174 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum