Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#171745 - 11/09/12 01:51 PM How to rename files on the Nikon D3100/3200?
llamero Offline

Loc: western Oregon
Maybe it's done the same on all Nikon DSLR cameras, I don't own one and I'm not familiar with them. I am shopping to purchase though. I'll be taking dozens or hundreds of photos on the trail and I want to be able to identify specific images for stitching into panoramas with computer software when I return home. Can someone explain how to change the file name of pictures as I take them? Sounds like it might be a hassle, hope not. Of course I could buy a camera like the Sony NEX 5N that creates panoramas as you shoot, but I like some of the other Nikon features.
Thanks

#171750 - 11/09/12 03:56 PM Re: How to rename files on the Nikon D3100/3200? [Re: llamero]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
I don't know of a reason to do so. The few panos I've done, I select a set in Bridge (they're always adjacent when time-sorted) and tell Photoshop to do its thing. I presume other image processing programs are the same, or similar.

I don't know Nikonspeak, but suppose you could reset the frame counter prior to shooting your pano sequence to give it unique numbering. They likely as not have a way to tag images in camera, too. IIRC all my digicams have in-camera editing.

Good luck with your purchase.

#171761 - 11/09/12 09:54 PM Re: How to rename files on the Nikon D3100/3200? [Re: Rick_D]
llamero Offline

Rick,
You lost me at Bridge. Is that Photoshop lingo?

I am hopeful that a Nikonian, or at least someone that speaks Nikonese, will come forward and explain how files are renamed and offer an opinion as to whether or not that is a suitable alternative to having a camera that does it's own stitching. Software is not a problem.

What camera do you use/prefer for backpacking photos?

Thanks

#171769 - 11/09/12 11:42 PM Re: How to rename files on the Nikon D3100/3200? [Re: llamero]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Bridge is a graphic file manager bundled with the Adobe CS suite and maybe (don't know for sure) with Photoshop when purchased by itself. I think of it as a more sophisticated Windows Explorer/OSX Finder. Anyway, in Bridge you can select a group of photo files to stack, merge or make a panorama in Photoshop. The most obvious uses are panoramas and HDR photos. Folks also use it for focus stacking and astronomy.

Because Bridge is a graphical interface, you select groups of thumbnails and in practice you're working with consecutive frames. Because of that there's no need for source file renaming that I can think of, as your resulting pano or stack is saved under a new name. HDR requires autobracketing in the camera and panos generally incorporate sequential overlapping frames from some vantage point, so the source files will be adjacent on the monitor screen because of the workflow in the field.

I began using an Olympus E-M5 this last backpacking season and it's been great. I previously took dslrs day hiking or an advanced compact backpacking. The E-M5 is a whole new ballgame.

Hope this helps,

Originally Posted By llamero
Rick,
You lost me at Bridge. Is that Photoshop lingo?

I am hopeful that a Nikonian, or at least someone that speaks Nikonese, will come forward and explain how files are renamed and offer an opinion as to whether or not that is a suitable alternative to having a camera that does it's own stitching. Software is not a problem.

What camera do you use/prefer for backpacking photos?

Thanks

#171789 - 11/10/12 11:55 AM Re: How to rename files on the Nikon D3100/3200? [Re: llamero]
ndsol Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
Originally Posted By llamero
Maybe it's done the same on all Nikon DSLR cameras, I don't own one and I'm not familiar with them. I am shopping to purchase though. I'll be taking dozens or hundreds of photos on the trail and I want to be able to identify specific images for stitching into panoramas with computer software when I return home. Can someone explain how to change the file name of pictures as I take them? Sounds like it might be a hassle, hope not. Of course I could buy a camera like the Sony NEX 5N that creates panoramas as you shoot, but I like some of the other Nikon features.
Thanks

I shoot with a Sony A55 and use Photoshop CS5 to do the stitching. I always shoot left to right so they look correct in LR on the screen. You can also take a picture at the beginning and the end of the sequence with your hand in it to show the start, stop and direction of a pano. Don't forget to shoot in manual mode and manual focus or else the stitching can show through with the different exposure levels and focus points. Also shoot in portrait orientation to obtain the best chance for a good panorama.

Having said that, my Sony does do panoramas in camera. While it is simple and easy, I find that I can do a better job if I spend the time stitching together in Photoshop. I can take a number of RAW photos and tweak them. With in camera, I am only getting a JPG, and it is very wide.

Here is a stitched panorama of Cirque of the Towers in Wind River Range that I then filled in with Photoshop:

(RickD, Bridge does come with Photoshop CS3-6)

Edited by ndsol (11/10/12 12:02 PM)

#171801 - 11/10/12 04:00 PM Re: How to rename files on the Nikon D3100/3200? [Re: ndsol]
llamero Offline

Thanks for the input. I don't have time to read and digest it just now, I need to hang with my llamas a bit and then take the wife out (date day). Looking forward to learning something about cameras and editing.
Enjoy.

#171816 - 11/10/12 10:35 PM Re: How to rename files on the Nikon D3100/3200? [Re: ndsol]
llamero Offline

Rick,
Thanks for the information about Bridge, and when you say that the Olympus E-M5 is "a new ballgame" I take that as a good thing. I'll check it out.

ndsol,
Those are great tips. I especially like the "hand in the photo" idea. I will check out the A55. The number of cameras to choose from is staggering.

Very good information. Thank you both.

#171890 - 11/12/12 02:42 PM Re: How to rename files on the Nikon D3100/3200? [Re: llamero]
squark Offline

Loc: SF bay area, CA
I love Bridge. Here's what it looks like:

I have a Nikon, but not the D3200, so not sure about camera-specific labelling. Maybe try here?
http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17792/kw/D3200%20rename%20files

#171908 - 11/12/12 11:01 PM Re: How to rename files on the Nikon D3100/3200? [Re: squark]
llamero Offline

Thanks Squark. I'm leaning toward the Sony NEX-5N. The size and price are very appealing. There are a lot of good choices out there and I'm waiting for the expected end of year price drop before I finally decide.

Nice photos, thanks for sharing.

#171927 - 11/14/12 12:39 AM Re: How to rename files on the Nikon D3100/3200? [Re: llamero]
ndwoods Offline

Loc: Santa Cruz CA, Sierra Hiker
Hey, I've been eyeballing the d3200 too...post what you end up with and why....:)
Dee

#171946 - 11/14/12 11:16 AM Re: How to rename files on the Nikon D3100/3200? [Re: ndwoods]
llamero Offline

I'm almost positive I'm going with the Sony NEX-5N, just waiting to see if the prices drop during the holidays. Features that appeal to me most are the compact size with large sensor and high quality pictures. The low light capability of the Sony is reputed to be one of the best. The camera body feels good and stable, but I would prefer to have the rubberized coating like the Nikon D3100. I don't know how well I'll get along with the touch screen, but I expect it will be fine. Touch screen is one reason the camera is compact compared to a DSLR, even with the same size sensor. Other features of less importance to me today are the HD video, small removable flash and lack of a viewfinder. I think I will enjoy the GPS and in-camera stitching. A couple of reviewers said that early versions of this camera picked up annoying internal noises when shooting video with slight camera movement. There is a newer NEX model featuring Wi-Fi, which isn't important to me, but maybe it will force the price down on the model I want. I am only 99% percent sure until I actually purchase it, however I don't have another camera in consideration.

Edited by llamero (11/14/12 11:22 AM)

#171947 - 11/14/12 11:34 AM Re: How to rename files on the Nikon D3100/3200? [Re: llamero]
llamero Offline

I meant to add this link. Snapsort allows you to compare two cameras side by side. Be aware that popularity is part of their score. You can click on specific items from the "Specifications" or "Score" pages for better descriptions, examples and comparisons of what those words and terms mean and how they relate. I found it very useful.
Happy shopping

http://snapsort.com/compare

#172021 - 11/16/12 01:24 PM Re: How to rename files on the Nikon D3100/3200? [Re: llamero]
ndsol Offline

I think that is a good choice if you want that size of camera, especially since it does have an APS-C sensor. What lenses are you looking at?

#172173 - 11/20/12 01:45 PM Re: How to rename files on the Nikon D3100/3200? [Re: ndsol]
llamero Offline

The Sony comes with an 18-55mm lens so I'll start with that. From there I don't know what I want until I become familiar with the camera. I think there are 8 model specific lenses available for this camera, which isn't a lot, but probably 5 or 6 more than I will end up with. Lenses do not go on sale very often (in my shopping experience) so I won't feel that pressure. Macro shots would be fun, but landscapes will likely be the majority of what I shoot. Any suggestions?

#172402 - 11/27/12 07:07 PM Re: How to rename files on the Nikon D3100/3200? [Re: llamero]
ndsol Offline

I am not that familiar with the lenses designed specifically for the NEX line. For backpacking, I try to keep the weight down, so generally just take my 18-200mm. It gets me about 80% of what I want without at weight penalty. You mentioned macro and I have recently acquired a 100mm f2.8 macro. It has been a lot of fun.

Do realize with an adapter, you can take A-mount lenses and use them on the NEX E-Mount. It will make the camera bigger, but you can probably find the A-mounts cheaper. And you don't then just have to look at Sony lenses as Minolta lenses are also A-mount. My macro and a 70-210mm f4 are both Minolta lenses that are at least a dozen years old when I acquired them. Some Tamron and Sigma lenses have pretty good reputations as well. You can find out pretty quickly that the camera body is the lesser cost compared to lenses, but the lenses will hold their value and technology much better than the bodies.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum