Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#171393 - 11/04/12 09:07 AM Re: Weight cut off??(another stupid newbie ?) [Re: BradMT]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
Nice where did you get it( the elk)? I have a dedicated meat pack but it is like 6 lbs empty!

#171416 - 11/04/12 04:53 PM Re: Weight cut off??(another stupid newbie ?) [Re: lori]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
My base weight is 8 1/2 pounds, and that includes all my pocket stuff. I have actually carried 27 comfortably in my frameless one pound pack, but my more usual load is around 15 for a long weekend. Like Lori, mine has drawn a few laughs ("but that's a day pack", "your pack full weighs less than my food bag"), but for me, it's how I continue to hike. I mentioned that weight here once and was surprised that it was considered ultralight (I had thought that term meant five pounds or less).

Becoming UL is actually meaningless to me. Being able to continue hiking solid distances means a whole lot. I got there as many here have, a little at a time, replacing equipment as needed, reaching for the lightest version of each item.

I had a small advantage: I started hiking and camping when I had no money, and therefore very little gear, and therefor don't miss a lot of stuff. Worked briefly as a cowboy as a kid. When we were riding fence, our "camping gear" consisted of a poncho, the heavy wool saddle blanket, a fabric covered canteen, and a coffee can with a wire handle added. Oh, and a spoon and the boot knife we always carried.

I don't carry a whole lot more today, but each item is a lot lighter.

best, jcp

#171432 - 11/04/12 07:14 PM Re: Weight cut off??(another stupid newbie ?) [Re: rockchucker22]
BradMT Offline

Originally Posted By rockchucker22
Nice where did you get it( the elk)? I have a dedicated meat pack but it is like 6 lbs empty!

RC, I'm in SW Montana... I do a solo backpack-in, highcountry elk hunt every fall.

Here's the "hero shot"... he's 8.5+ years old and teeth ground down to the gums. Not the best eating, but hey, small price to pay for good antlers laugh

#171434 - 11/04/12 07:31 PM Re: Weight cut off??(another stupid newbie ?) [Re: BradMT]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
Very nice, still good eatin! Should last a few months!

#171447 - 11/04/12 11:30 PM Re: Weight cut off??(another stupid newbie ?) [Re: rockchucker22]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
For another view on these very arbitrary (and mostly meaningless, IMHO) weight classifications, try this article by Andrew Skurka Is the Lightweight Backpacking Label Dead, Along With its UL, SUL, XUL Derivatives? A few quotes:
Quote:
I’m defined by why I “go,” not by my “lite” pack. The LW/UL/SUL/XUL labels exclusively reference gear and supplies, as if they are the only things that matter. This focus is misguided: gear and supplies are means, not ends.

Quote:
My success is more dependent on what I carry between my ears than what I carry on my back.

BTW, Brad, congrats on the elk! I suspect that stews, pot roasts and other long, slow, moist cooking with plenty of seasoning would be the best use for this old guy. (My mouth is watering!) Certainly a better fate for him than slowly starving to death over the winter, considering his age and the condition of his teeth.

Edited by OregonMouse (11/05/12 02:33 AM)

#171463 - 11/05/12 07:13 AM Re: Weight cut off??(another stupid newbie ?) [Re: OregonMouse]
BradMT Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse

BTW, Brad, congrats on the elk! I suspect that stews, pot roasts and other long, slow, moist cooking with plenty of seasoning would be the best use for this old guy. (My mouth is watering!) Certainly a better fate for him than slowly starving to death over the winter, considering his age and the condition of his teeth.

You're exactly right on the best cooking for such an old bull... his loins have been excellent (and tender) however.

I also agree, he didn't have a lot of time left given his teeth.

#171471 - 11/05/12 12:27 PM Re: Weight cut off??(another stupid newbie ?) [Re: BradMT]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Originally Posted By BradMT
Here's a 90+ lb pack from a couple weeks ago (not including rifle)... a 45 lb pack feels like nothing after hauling out meat and antlers laugh

I think your pack stays are a bit oversized...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 292 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum