Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#170951 - 10/25/12 09:46 PM John Muir Trail - KY/Tennessee
jbylake Offline

Loc: Northern KY USA
I'm interested in visiting the (Not the big CA) version, John Muir Trail that borders KY and Tennessee. I've done various (Bing, Google, etc..) searches, and come up with different versions. First I read it was one long 60 mile trail, one says 150 miles of different connecting trails, another says something else.

If my knees can take it, I'd love to try it late next fall, but can't seem to find much info on it. Has anyone here been there? Can you fill me in, or guide me to a reliable website that better describes it? One link is here

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks ahead,

J.

#170952 - 10/25/12 09:58 PM Re: John Muir Trail - KY/Tennessee [Re: jbylake]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Another trail to look at is the Cumberland Trail (http://www.cumberlandtrail.org/) which is in the same area; I've hiked the 25 miles in Cumberland Gap National Historical Park, and enjoyed it a lot. Not the easiest hiking, but pretty.

#170957 - 10/25/12 11:26 PM Re: John Muir Trail - KY/Tennessee [Re: Glenn Roberts]
jbylake Offline

I would guess it'd be great. I remember visiting (the KY) side of the Cumberland Gap, as a kid, with my parents. I think it's pretty hilly down there, my father was origionally from the far south east part of KY, and as you travel south those hills get bigger. Probably be a challenge, alright.

The one reason I wanted to do the John Muir was that on one map it runs parallel with a river, plenty of water, and plent of fish, when I get tired of rehydrated food.

Thanks Glenn, eithter way, I'll need to do a lot of shorter trips next year, to try to get back in shape to do 8hr leg's of whatever trail I choose.

J.

#170961 - 10/26/12 08:26 AM Re: John Muir Trail - KY/Tennessee [Re: jbylake]
Slowfoot Offline

Loc: Missouri
I've hiked part of the John Muir trail. According to a book I have, Hiking the Big South Fork, it is 50 miles, but I think that only includes the northern part. There is a gap in the trail and another section farther south. With all the trails in Big South Fork and the Sheltowee Trace going through the area, you could design a much longer hike.

The National Geographic Trails Illustrated Map of Big South Fork has all the trails on it but doesn't have mileage. The book has mileage, but only for each hike described in the book, so you have to work at it to get mileage for your own hike if you don't stick to exactly what's in the book.

It's a nice area. I definitely recommend it. The rangers we talked to there had hiked some of the trails, but not always recently, so they may or may not be helpful in planning your trip.

#170978 - 10/26/12 07:45 PM Re: John Muir Trail - KY/Tennessee [Re: Slowfoot]
jbylake Offline

I think you're talking about exactly the trail I was looking for. I thought it read 60 miles, but It may be 50 miles. Did the section (50) mile that you did, pretty much follow the river between KY and TN?

Thanks,

J.

#170988 - 10/27/12 12:07 AM Re: John Muir Trail - KY/Tennessee [Re: jbylake]
Slowfoot Offline

Loc: Missouri
I went into more detail in the PM, but the Sheltowee Trace follows the river for about 11 miles in Kentucky, and the John Muir Trail follows the river for about 24 miles in Tennessee. In between they both veer west and meet away from the river, but there are other trails you could use to connect them that stay closer to the river.

#170998 - 10/27/12 12:12 PM Re: John Muir Trail - KY/Tennessee [Re: Slowfoot]
jbylake Offline

Thanks, Slowfoot, I think I have it now. One website shows them as two distinctively different names, and one "runs" them together, and refers to the whole thing as the John Muir Trail.
I'll get that map, like you mentioned, but I think you've cleared it all up for me now, and it makes sense. I'd definetly like to stay as close to the river as feasible. (Fish).

Thanks again,

J.

Edited by jbylake (10/27/12 12:13 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum