Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#170888 - 10/24/12 10:02 AM Google now mapping trails
Dave H Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
I would to hear opinions and thoughts on the news story that Google has started mapping trails. http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2012/10/24/google-cameras-map-popular-grand-canyon-trails/ Pretty soon from the comfort of my desk I will be able to take virtual hikes. This may be good or bad not sure which just yet. It may encourage more people to try backpacking. Many may not bre prepareed since it will look so easy on Google. Then again I will be able to travel the world in a single afternoon to see places I would never have the time or money to see. Also it may help with trip prep if I can see the trail before I go. I was just curious others thoughts.

#170889 - 10/24/12 10:11 AM Re: Google now mapping trails [Re: Dave H]
lori Offline

I don't trust google. Working in social services meant googlemapping and sometimes ending up in the **wrong neighborhood***.

I can predict that in some areas, where the trails are often overgrown and get that way real fast, people relying on such things will be lost or turned around at an alarming rate.

Many of the shots on Google street view are pretty old, and the satellite images as well.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#170891 - 10/24/12 11:37 AM Re: Google now mapping trails [Re: Dave H]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I use google to judge distances on roads. It was frustrating that I couldn't use it on trails. I had to do it different ways. It would be nice to do that on trails, especially with Google's topo feature.

#170892 - 10/24/12 11:37 AM Re: Google now mapping trails [Re: lori]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I agree with Lori. There are enough errors in google's street and road maps that I would not trust the trail maps. However, I do like the idea of them adding trails, if for nothing else but to put something in all that empty space that is now on their maps of the wilderness areas! But I would definitely check the most recent "real" maps to before setting out on a trip. By the way, some "trails" on GPS maps are not there either. And as we all have experienced, even trails shown on USGS maps are sometimes not there any more. Google as well as GPS companies, do not go out and survey trails or create maps - they simply overlay existing maps and satallite images. The accuracy depends both on the quality and dates of the overlays, but also on the degree to which all layers of maps spatially match - not an easy task.

#170898 - 10/24/12 01:41 PM Re: Google now mapping trails [Re: Dave H]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
I guess if I see somebody hiking with a reeeeally funny backpack sprouting alien eyeballs on stalks, I'll at least know what it is. I'll withhold judgment until I see some results and yeah, virtual hiking in January--I'm there.

BTW, does it drive anybody else nuts that a lot of Google's satellite photos in mountainous regions are snowed in? Luckily, the Bing alternative is often snow-free. They also seem to have removed trails from the "terrain" maps.

Cheers,

Edited by Rick_D (10/24/12 01:41 PM)

#170906 - 10/24/12 05:32 PM Re: Google now mapping trails [Re: Rick_D]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Over the years I've certainly met people hiking with antennas sticking out of their packs...using GPS to verify all the trails in Lassen National Park, for example.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#170919 - 10/24/12 09:49 PM Re: Google now mapping trails [Re: balzaccom]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
Give me a camera and sign me up sounds to Me like someone is getting paid to hike!

Googleing available positions on this department as we speak.

Even if just a part time gig. I'm sure Google will pay well enough it could be worth the efforts!

#170921 - 10/25/12 08:06 AM Re: Google now mapping trails [Re: Samoset]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By Samoset
Give me a camera and sign me up sounds to Me like someone is getting paid to hike!

Googleing available positions on this department as we speak.

Even if just a part time gig. I'm sure Google will pay well enough it could be worth the efforts!

In the article, it says they are using volunteers.

#170922 - 10/25/12 08:40 AM Re: Google now mapping trails [Re: Gershon]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
Haha that's what I get for not reading the article First. Thanks G.

Well maybe trail maps on Google will reach such a demand that someday. Someone could eventually supplement there incomes doing freelance mapping for them!

#170929 - 10/25/12 12:17 PM Re: Google now mapping trails [Re: Gershon]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
This could lead to a situation like I always imagined with my Dad, who was a huge sports fan and die-hard Cincinnati Reds fan. I always pictured him retiring (unfortunately, he died before that happened) and contacting the Reds to become an usher at Crosley Field (yes, it was that long ago - I'm old!) The interview would have gone something like this:

(Thirty minutes of discussion about Robinson, Pinson, winning the World Series, etc.)

Them: So, we think you'd be a great usher. We need to talk about money: we were thinking $20 per game - how would that be?"

Dad: "Well, it's a little expensive, but I think I could come up with it."

smile

#170948 - 10/25/12 08:56 PM Re: Google now mapping trails [Re: Dave H]
Keith Offline

Loc: Michigan's Upper Peninsula
I have already used Google Earth for G.C. trails. You can see the entirety of the N. Kaibab trail , the S. Kaibab Trail, most of the River Trail and Bright Angel Trail. Also the Clear Creek Trail and the Tonto in the Corridor area and beyond.

The trails show up better than the stupid red lines now that are supposed to show the trails but don't quite.

I've actually used a screen shot of the intersection of the N. Kaibab and Ribbon Falls trail to give to someone who had been there before with me but wanted something to have "just in case".

Of course, this may actually be helpful where there is tree cover and you can't actually see the photo of the trail itself. . . .

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 192 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum