Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#170841 - 10/23/12 12:21 PM Re: What if....... [Re: billstephenson]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
Oh burros! Or alpacas, I have chickens but they can't carry much and get distracted easily. laugh

#170842 - 10/23/12 12:22 PM Re: What if....... [Re: billstephenson]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
All new gear for me too! I use my gear a lot and it is in various stages of delapitation. I am too practical and cheap to buy new gear until the old stuff totaly wears out. I certainly would replace gear more often. I think top of my list would be custom made gear that actually fits me - backpack, shoes and tent in particular. I kind of like the "sherpa" idea too! I do long trips and would love to be able to pay for commercial packer resupplies. Unlimited $$ would also mean that I wound not have to budget gas for trips thus expanding my radius of distance I consider when deciding where to go. And the ability to stay in a nice motel night before trip instead of campground would be nice too.

#170847 - 10/23/12 02:02 PM Re: What if....... [Re: wandering_daisy]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I would have Western Mountaineering make me a few custom sized sleeping bags, well after I tried on all of theirs and determined it was necessary. I would need a 20F one, a -25F one, a -40F one and maybe a 40F one. And, then a 0F for the wife.
I would get a downmat 9 for me and one for the mrs.
I would have McHale make me a pack for summer and one for winter, and one summer one for the wife. Maybe even a Kifaru UL for good measure.
I would have custom shoes made for summer and some mukluks for winter.
Titanium gigapower stove
Titanium 700ml pot
Titanium 32 oz bottle
titanium spork, light my fire brand
merino wool clothing all around. (I found 2 merino wool sweaters at the thrift store the other day, $5 each).
A couple tarptents for different situations.
A down jacket.
Some winter clothes and gloves from Empire Canvas
A blackbird hammock, and a bridge hammock.
Some cuben tarps.

Well, this could go on.........

#170849 - 10/23/12 02:23 PM Re: What if....... [Re: finallyME]
rockchucker22 Offline

Originally Posted By finallyME
I would have Western Mountaineering make me a few custom sized sleeping bags, well after I tried on all of theirs and determined it was necessary. I would need a 20F one, a -25F one, a -40F one and maybe a 40F one. And, then a 0F for the wife.
I would get a downmat 9 for me and one for the mrs.
I would have McHale make me a pack for summer and one for winter, and one summer one for the wife. Maybe even a Kifaru UL for good measure.
I would have custom shoes made for summer and some mukluks for winter.
Titanium gigapower stove
Titanium 700ml pot
Titanium 32 oz bottle
titanium spork, light my fire brand
merino wool clothing all around. (I found 2 merino wool sweaters at the thrift store the other day, $5 each).
A couple tarptents for different situations.
A down jacket.
Some winter clothes and gloves from Empire Canvas
A blackbird hammock, and a bridge hammock.
Some cuben tarps.

Well, this could go on.........
I like the sound of your list!

#170852 - 10/23/12 03:09 PM Re: What if....... [Re: finallyME]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
I second the Empire Canvas and the mukluks...

#170858 - 10/23/12 06:42 PM Re: What if....... [Re: Heather-ak]
rockchucker22 Offline

On the other end, what gear would you get of funds where lacking?(I'm somewhere in the lower middle!) blush

#170893 - 10/24/12 11:40 AM Re: What if....... [Re: rockchucker22]
finallyME Offline

There are a lot of threads with this idea, how to do it cheaply. We did a less than $200 for a total outfit thread a while ago. I know verber has a lot of info on his own site about this. I am generally more interested in what to get with little money, because I am a scout master with lots of scouts. Kids are expensive before you hit camping equipment that they might break or outgrow.

#170896 - 10/24/12 12:42 PM Re: What if....... [Re: finallyME]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Have you ever considered having them make their own gear? (It's been too long - are there perhaps some other merit badges they could get simultaneously, for sewing, working with tools, etc.?)

Some possible projects include pop-can or cat-food-can alcohol stoves (using empty water bottles like Dasani, etc., for fuel storage, and aluminum flashing for windscreens), ponchos (assuming silnylon or coated nylon isn't hideously expensive), and even (at a higher skill level) frameless packs and tents. (Tarptent and Gossamer Gear used to give away patterns for a basic pack and tent on their websites.) Sleeping bags or quilts are a possiblity, but may well exceed the skill levels available.

Other low-cost options would include using chlorine dioxide tablets instead of filters, and lightweight stainless steel mixing bowl sets (from WalMart or similar; I had one years ago that cost $10, included nesting quart, pint, and cup bowls with plastic lids, and made a great mess kit.) Silnylon tarps are less expensive than tents; the green poly tarps from Walmart are cheaper yet (but a bit harder to use and subject to wear and tear.) Empty bottled water bottles are fine for, well, water bottles. A ziploc bag, some bandaids and moleskin, and a trip to the sample-size counters at the drug store give everyone a start at a first aid kit.

I'm sure others can offer other low-cost gear suggestions for the typical Scout use.

#170897 - 10/24/12 01:31 PM Re: What if....... [Re: Glenn Roberts]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
I want to make my own hammock and underquilt. Just haven't been able to shell out a little dough for the materials. If I don't make a mistake, the hammock would only cost 12-15 bucks plus shipping and handling for the materials. Plus I have the option to customize features. Underquilt on the other hand, would probably cost around 50-60 bucks depending on insulation materials, but I'm betting the error cost be higher. grin Someone on the hammock forum had a calculation on how much down to use and what the projected weight, temp rating, and stuff size would be. When you use synthetic, my biggest question is the stuff size..What if my volume end up being more than mine 15 degree sleep bag? lol. It could become an expensive learning curve.

#170923 - 10/25/12 10:11 AM Re: What if....... [Re: Glenn Roberts]
finallyME Offline

Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
Have you ever considered having them make their own gear? (It's been too long - are there perhaps some other merit badges they could get simultaneously, for sewing, working with tools, etc.?)

Some possible projects include pop-can or cat-food-can alcohol stoves (using empty water bottles like Dasani, etc., for fuel storage, and aluminum flashing for windscreens), ponchos (assuming silnylon or coated nylon isn't hideously expensive), and even (at a higher skill level) frameless packs and tents. (Tarptent and Gossamer Gear used to give away patterns for a basic pack and tent on their websites.) Sleeping bags or quilts are a possiblity, but may well exceed the skill levels available.

Other low-cost options would include using chlorine dioxide tablets instead of filters, and lightweight stainless steel mixing bowl sets (from WalMart or similar; I had one years ago that cost $10, included nesting quart, pint, and cup bowls with plastic lids, and made a great mess kit.) Silnylon tarps are less expensive than tents; the green poly tarps from Walmart are cheaper yet (but a bit harder to use and subject to wear and tear.) Empty bottled water bottles are fine for, well, water bottles. A ziploc bag, some bandaids and moleskin, and a trip to the sample-size counters at the drug store give everyone a start at a first aid kit.

I'm sure others can offer other low-cost gear suggestions for the typical Scout use.

As much as I can. BSA has a policy against alcohol stoves. The actual rule is sometimes hard to interpret, so I just stay away from it. I have had them make super cats, when I wasn't aware of the rule. However, I bought a jet boil for the troop, and a few of the scouts have their own jet boils. So, a stove isn't on the list for scouts to have to buy. Either are tents. I use troop funds to buy tents. I also bought a filter for the troop. You only need one filter for the troop. They take turns pumping. I have my own filter, so we do have a backup. It does make it a little lighter with the troop mentality. One kid carries the stove, one the pot, one the filter, one the canister, one the other canister....etc. I tell them to bring gatorade bottles, but usually buy one for each boy for the trip. The only thing that I really want them to spend money on is the bag. I can usually scrounge around for packs (borrowing from charter organization members...etc), plus I have a few that I bought with troop funds. A bunch have actually taken my advice of buying thrift store ones and replacing the hip belts with MOLLE belts, cheap and comfortable.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum