Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#169825 - 09/26/12 11:10 AM exercise
Anthea Offline

Hello guys today the topic is very authentic and we discuss about the exercise/I'm 6 feet and weight about 200 pound . I'm trying to lose some pounds overall so I can thin out my thighs. I've already limited my junk food intake. I'm an extremely picky eater, so I don't eat any fruits, vegetables, and the majority of meats/

#169829 - 09/26/12 02:07 PM Re: exercise [Re: Anthea]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
The best way to lose weight is to eat fewer calories than you burn. Increasing your exercise in order to burn more calories is better than just starving yourself, because moderate exercise increases your overall health while starvation decreases it.

There! I have summed up all the wisdom you need to lose weight and stay healthy.

#169831 - 09/26/12 02:57 PM Re: exercise [Re: aimless]
lori Offline

Barring any medical issue that complicates things, yep. Exercise to use the calories you take in.

Backpacking is excellent exercise.

"Picky eating" is one thing - not getting the nutrients your body needs to stay in balance is another. A chat with a dietician or nutritionist (not a doctor) might be helpful in rewriting your expectation that you can lose weight without eating good healthy veggies and fruits. Without meats, veggies and fruits, you are left with starches, carbs and other things that are okay in moderation but are not a healthy diet all on their own. You aren't getting everything you need if you're skimping on the veggies.

And proper hydration is another HUGE key to maintaining healthy body weight - you don't have a properly functioning "engine" without it.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#169836 - 09/26/12 05:16 PM Re: exercise [Re: Anthea]
verber Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
The recipe is fairly simple, limit caloric intake, stay active, eat healthy. I would suggest going a bit further than cutting "junk food"... I would try to limit or drop anything that is loaded with sugar, highly processed flours, or milk because they caught a reaction which gives you cravings once you crash from the sugar high, and tends to accumulate fat because your body things you have extra calories coming in. Slow burn carbs like lentils and beans are much better than say bread.

As to exercise... doing some basic strength build (2-3 days / week) and just making sure you walk each day will do a great deal for you. As others have indicated, backpacking is good exercise smile

--Mark

#170036 - 10/01/12 10:14 PM Re: exercise [Re: verber]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
www.caloriecount.com is a good site for seeing how good your diet is. If you count for a few days you will get a pretty good idea of what type of food is good for you.

In my opinion, they recommend reducing calories too much. About 2,500 calories a day will likely work out well for you to lose weight gradually.

Walking is about the simplest exercise. It doesn't have to be all at once. You can walk a little several times a day and get about the same effect.

Edited by Gershon (10/01/12 10:15 PM)

#170375 - 10/11/12 10:09 AM Re: exercise [Re: Anthea]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By Anthea
I'm an extremely picky eater, so I don't eat any fruits, vegetables, and the majority of meats/

I guess you won't be on the paleo diet then...There are many types of "diets" on the market. And, a lot of them have a wide range of differences at their core. But, pretty much all of them have one thing in common.....vegetables. You do yourself a great disservice by skipping them. Well, it's your body....good luck with that.

#173547 - 01/05/13 08:08 PM Re: exercise [Re: Anthea]
Backpackhavn Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
Limiting junk food is a great start. I would suggest making one or two small changes each week rather than trying to change many habits at once. Maybe introduce one new fruit or veggie each week and you may find some you like. Also change up your exercise routine so you don't get bored and quit. Wishing you much success.

http://backpackhavenblog.com
http://www.backpackhaven.com/Home.html

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum