Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#170326 - 10/10/12 01:20 PM Best fleece or other light warm 3 season jacket
rionada Offline

Loc: Hervey Bay, QLD Australia
I own, and have enjoyed, a Marmot fleece jacket that has pit zips (which I find hard to live without). It weighs 18.5 oz and I think it's 200 weight. It still works great, but I'd like to save weight, if possible, without sacrificing the pit zips. It's not windproof, but I use my Precip jacket for wind and rain protection (which also conveniently has pit zips). If it gets cold I have a WM vest. So, I'm really looking for that versatile, light, midweight jacket - probably with pit zips.

I've recently seen some interesting fleece/down hybrids, but I do a lot of sitting around a fire and my fleece has a few holes from coals that got spit out of the fire - so I'd worry about anything made with down - but I'll consider anything. What are you all using for your 3 season warm jacket layer? and what does it weigh?

Thanks

#170339 - 10/10/12 04:15 PM Re: Best fleece or other light warm 3 season jacket [Re: rionada]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
It not a fleece, but I'm using the hood-less version of This I wish I had gotten the hooded version to wear in town when I don't have a beanie. I think the hood-less version is 13 ounce. I pack it in the chest pocket and stow it somewhere in my pack, it also doubles as a pillow.

Edited by ETSU Pride (10/10/12 04:16 PM)

#170363 - 10/10/12 07:29 PM Re: Best fleece or other light warm 3 season jacket [Re: rionada]
jgs Offline

I own both the R3 and Retro X fleece from Patagonia. R3 is
17 oz. and the Retro x is 23oz. I have been at 14,000ft in a blizzard and the R3 kept me plenty warm in a early Colorado September snow. Not totally windproof but close. The Retro X is windproof and is exceptionally warm. Neither are the lightest on the market but I'll trade a few ounces for warmth any day. Both very durable. Would own no other BUT these.

#170391 - 10/11/12 12:16 PM Re: Best fleece or other light warm 3 season jacket [Re: rionada]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
Might want to look at something wool. About the same weight at fleece and it doesn't melt.

#170392 - 10/11/12 12:22 PM Re: Best fleece or other light warm 3 season jacket [Re: Heather-ak]
rionada Offline

Thanks Heather - good point!
Does anyone know of a good wool jacket equivalent to 200 weight fleece? Pit zips would be nice.

#170407 - 10/11/12 03:15 PM Re: Best fleece or other light warm 3 season jacket [Re: rionada]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
My insulating jacket is a Montbell Ex Light Down Jacket. I notice the price has gone up $30 since I bought it 2 years ago. frown It is really a down sweater, meant to be part of a layering system. It's certainly not something you'd wear by itself when sitting around in below-freezing temps, nor have I ever tried to use it that way. I'll have a base layer and thin mid-layer under it and a wind shirt or rain jacket over it, plus warm hat and gloves. Nor would I recommend down clothing to beginners--I was a bit reluctant myself to get down insulating clothing since my sleeping bag is down. I love the jacket, though--I'm just super careful to keep it dry.

For most people I'd recommend a puffy jacket with synthetic insulation. You can find such jackets that are half the weight of fleece of comparable warmth. Do take your scale when shopping, though; not all puffy jackets are light, and there's no point in spending money on one that is as heavy as your current fleece.

Sparks from a campfire will burn through any clothing--wool or cotton. The only difference with nylon and other synthetics is that they melt instead of burn (which at least means you don't have to darn the hole to keep it from raveling). That's one of the many reasons I gave up building fires a long time ago. If I'm with a group that has a fire, I stay well back!

Edited by OregonMouse (10/11/12 03:20 PM)

#170448 - 10/12/12 12:52 PM Re: Best fleece or other light warm 3 season jacket [Re: OregonMouse]
rionada Offline

Thanks OM,

I have continued to look around, but I, unfortunately (or fortunately for my wallet!) haven't found anything that would be lighter and work as well as what I have. The big sticking point are the pit zips. I seem to alternate between too hot and too cold more than my camp mates. So, the ability to vent heat and moisture without removing the jacket has become quite important to my system.

I certainly would consider any midweight (similar to 200 wt) jacket that has pit zips and weighs less than what I have now (18.5 oz). But, like the pots that I carry (separate post), the jacket I own works just fine.

I have found as I age that three things are happening:
1) I struggle more with weight in my pack - so I'm always looking to lighten the load.
2) I enjoy the art of having (and hunting for and finding) a light weight kit. and
3) Financially I can more easily afford to buy the lighter, better, equipment.

But, after 10 years of going light - collecting, using, and refining my gear, I am happy with what I now use. I now only look to replace things as they wear out or improve them as new products (that are substantially better and lighter) come out.

In the case of the fleece - since it spends a fair amount of time in my pack - I'd like to reduce that weight if possible. So, I'm still open to suggestions... with pit zips!

#170467 - 10/12/12 06:16 PM Re: Best fleece or other light warm 3 season jacket [Re: rionada]
rionada Offline

Does anyone make a Nano Puff style jacket with pit zips?

#170472 - 10/12/12 08:12 PM Re: Best fleece or other light warm 3 season jacket [Re: rionada]

If you find someone who sews, you could have pit zips added. I doubt you're going to find many insulating jackets with them. I know I've read of folks who have them put into eVent rain jackets (which never seem to have them).

I've never felt the need for pit zips other than in rain wear. If I start sweating, I just remove layers until I stop. I wear my puffy jacket only during rest stops or in camp. YMMV, of course!

#170637 - 10/16/12 01:48 AM Re: Best fleece or other light warm 3 season jacket [Re: OregonMouse]
rionada Offline

Thanks OM.
I sew actually.
I've built some tarps and fixed packs and altered clothing.
I'm sure that I could put pit zips into a nano puff, but I'd rather find the gear all ready to go. But, if I have to...

#170638 - 10/16/12 01:52 AM Re: Best fleece or other light warm 3 season jacket [Re: rionada]
rionada Offline

If I'm going to add pit zips to a light mid layer jacket - what other choices do I have besides the Nano Puff (in that same class of jacket - light weight, mid layer) and what do they weigh (if you have the numbers - I am generally a large or XL)?

Thanks for the help

#170639 - 10/16/12 07:04 AM Re: Best fleece or other light warm 3 season jacket [Re: rionada]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Just tossing in a suggestion here: how married are you to sleeves? Without thinking it all the way through, I'm wondering if a vest, down or fleece, which leaves your pits ventilated, might be an answer? You could add a shell if needed, or just wear the vest if not.

I have a light down vest I use in this manner in cold weather, and it seems to work pretty well. I use a long-sleeve wool midweight hoodie under it, and find that I can use the hood (up or down) and sleeves (pushed up or pulled down) to do a good job of regulating how warm I am, combined with the ability to zip or unzip the vest (or take it off completely.) I also use my rain jacket the way you use your Precip in windy conditions.

I hike in a fairly temperate area (Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana), so my solution may not work where you hike.

#170641 - 10/16/12 09:28 AM Re: Best fleece or other light warm 3 season jacket [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Cranman Offline

Loc: Central NC
REI makes a jacket very similiar to the Nano puff at a lower price.

#170673 - 10/17/12 12:05 AM Re: Best fleece or other light warm 3 season jacket [Re: Cranman]
rionada Offline

Thanks for the suggestions,

I own a WM down vest - that I love - it has saved me on several cold trips. I use it in addition to my mid layer when it gets COLD.

I just got home from REI where they had the Revelcloud on sale 30% off - $103. After cutting tags and removing the zipper pull strings it weighs 12.4 oz for a men's large.

I will take it out on a trip or two before I decide whether or not to add pit zips.

Thank you to everyone for the help.

#170686 - 10/17/12 08:46 PM Re: Best fleece or other light warm 3 season jacket [Re: Cranman]
ndwoods Offline

Loc: Santa Cruz CA, Sierra Hiker
Ditto REI. I used a Montbell Thermawrap for awhile, very light. Then I found a jacket at REI on the clearance rack that weighs a couple ozs more than the thermawrap but has pockets and zip off sleeves...so I use that. If I can find the model I will let you know, but it's awesome and only about 10 oz....:)

#171401 - 11/04/12 12:42 PM Re: Best fleece or other light warm 3 season jacket [Re: ndwoods]
rionada Offline

Update: The REI jacket was just fine, but after trying a Montbell Thermawrap (10.2 oz size L) I decided to return the REI jacket (size L 12.4 oz) in favor of the lighter Thermawrap. The Thermawrap looks to be in the same warmth catagory and just as well made so I made the switch.

#171411 - 11/04/12 03:27 PM Re: Best fleece or other light warm 3 season jacket [Re: rionada]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
rionada,

For whatever its worth to you, I wear a silk, long sleeved top, a long sleeved nylon shirt, a WM down vest and a wind/rain jacket over that and I'm good down to about 0F if it's not too wet and windy.
best, jcp

#171431 - 11/04/12 07:13 PM Re: Best fleece or other light warm 3 season jacket [Re: JPete]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
If you want something wool, nothing beats this-
http://www.swanndri.co.nz/Mens/Bushshirts/SSD0103/Original-100-Wool-Bushshirt.html

I don't have one, but wish I did. I saw a lot of them when I lived in NZ and was hiking and camping. No pit zips though. I think it weighs about half a kilo or about 17 oz. but not sure how accurate that is.

#171445 - 11/04/12 11:02 PM Re: Best fleece or other light warm 3 season jacket [Re: rionada]

I was looking through my bookmarks the other day and found that I'd bookmarked this link to the BPL forum: MYOG Pit Zips.

Hopefully it will give you some hints on how to do it yourself. Since your jacket doesn't have coated fabric like the one in the post, you'll need to hot cut the edges (instructions in one of the follow-up posts) to keep the fabric from fraying.

Edited by OregonMouse (11/04/12 11:05 PM)

#171539 - 11/06/12 12:40 PM Re: Best fleece or other light warm 3 season jacket [Re: OregonMouse]
rionada Offline

OM... OMG - thank you!
Sewing the pit zips on before cutting the fabric had not occurred to me.
After reading the thread you attached - here's what I'm now thinking:
1) I will lightly coat the area where I will be cutting the fabric with a silicone/mineral spirits mix to keep the fabric from fraying when I do cut it.
2) Sew in the pit zips.
3) Cut down the middle where the fabric has been treated with the silicone mixture.
4) Done
I have used the silicone mixture on various fabrics and have had good luck with it keeping fabrics from fraying. It penetrates well so that it's not just a surface coat.
Let me know what you think.

#172098 - 11/19/12 09:20 AM Re: Best fleece or other light warm 3 season jacket [Re: rionada]
Tobi Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY, U.S.
What are your opinions on something that has an outer layer of leather?

#172102 - 11/19/12 10:20 AM Re: Best fleece or other light warm 3 season jacket [Re: Tobi]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
Leather is HEAVY! But fine otherwise.

#172123 - 11/19/12 04:14 PM Re: Best fleece or other light warm 3 season jacket [Re: rockchucker22]

Leather also tends to soak up water, which makes it even heavier!

#172138 - 11/19/12 08:39 PM Re: Best fleece or other light warm 3 season jacket [Re: Tobi]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Leave it at home. Far too heavy for hiking, not the least bit breatheable, not that warm. It will block the wind, but so will a light rain jacket. I love my leather jacket, but no way I would wear it hiking.

Edited by TomD (11/19/12 08:39 PM)

#172207 - 11/21/12 10:51 AM Re: Best fleece or other light warm 3 season jacket [Re: JPete]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
To all, just discovered a fairly serious mistake in my earlier post. I described my clothing as being good to 0F. Not so. I'd be damned cold at 0F. I meant 0C (32 F). sorry if anyone took me seriously. I seem to be temperature-scale challenged (happens here, I'm in Canada, posting on a US site) best, sorry again, jcp

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 247 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum