Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#169770 - 09/25/12 11:12 AM Runing for health
Anthea Offline

Hello guys today we discuss about the topic of running is better for your health/I know its better when you are running to alternate between fast and slow. Like for 3 minutes starts at a quick walk, then for 2 minutes move up to a light jog and then for 1 minute run as hard as you can then go back to 3 minutes of walking fast and so on.

#169772 - 09/25/12 11:15 AM Re: Runing for health [Re: Anthea]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Running on pavement can be terrible for your knee. I cannot even run anymore! Well, I don't want to attempt it.

#169775 - 09/25/12 12:33 PM Re: Runing for health [Re: ETSU Pride]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I've never been into running. Got terrible side aches when I was a kid, and refused to participate when the gym teachers in Los Angeles told our class to run all period. Smog was so thick it burned your eyes and your lungs, and I figured it was just a bad idea to run in that muck. Told them that, we compromised, I walked instead.

Walking has always been a pleasure for me, and walking off-trail, in a forest, has always been my favorite place to do that. Personally, I think it's probably one of the best things you can do to stay healthy.

"You want to go where?"

#169777 - 09/25/12 12:52 PM Re: Runing for health [Re: Anthea]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
My knees, feet and legs are still in quite good health at age 58. I mostly credit this to the fact that I always used walking as my basic exercise, rather than running. All the people I know who run have minor-to-major injuries and ailments connected to their regular running.

#169784 - 09/25/12 02:40 PM Re: Runing for health [Re: aimless]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
I only run when something is chasing me, or I am chasing something else. But I do cycle a lot, which is easier on my knees.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#169801 - 09/25/12 11:22 PM Re: Runing for health [Re: balzaccom]
billstephenson Offline

Originally Posted By balzaccom
I only run when something is chasing me...

grin

I haven't been chased in a long time, but I was generally pretty easy to catch when I was wink

"You want to go where?"

#169802 - 09/25/12 11:29 PM Re: Runing for health [Re: aimless]
billstephenson Offline

Originally Posted By aimless
All the people I know who run have minor-to-major injuries and ailments connected to their regular running.

Yep, and those that don't walk are a pretty blobby bunch that spend a lot of time a doctors offices.

What amazes me is that even walking a mile a day a few times a week can really improve how you feel very quickly.

Back when I worked on cars I'd get to feeling awful from all the chemicals I was exposed to, but walking a few miles in a park always cured me, and it was the only thing that did too.

"You want to go where?"

#169832 - 09/26/12 03:35 PM Re: Runing for health [Re: Anthea]
professor Offline

Loc: Southern California
I run 3 miles, 3 times a week at a relaxed pace and find it very helpful as long as I don't make dramatic changes in how I run. By dramatic changes I mean running further, or faster, or more hills without working up to it.

#169834 - 09/26/12 04:39 PM Re: Runing for health [Re: Anthea]
lori Offline

I'm curious as to why you are posting these topics on a backpacking forum.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#169839 - 09/26/12 06:03 PM Re: Runing for health [Re: lori]
ETSU Pride Offline

Because, Lori, we are in top-notch shape!!!!!!! laugh

#169857 - 09/27/12 02:11 AM Re: Runing for health [Re: Anthea]
ndwoods Offline

Loc: Santa Cruz CA, Sierra Hiker
I run couple days a week and ride my bike couple days a week...don't pay much attn to going slow or fast....just get myself out there!:)

#169860 - 09/27/12 09:29 AM Re: Runing for health [Re: ETSU Pride]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By ETSU Pride

One of my co-workers is a habitual runner. She is having to ask for leave donations for blowing out a knee on a routine run - MRIs, Surgeries, etc.

Doesn't sound like top notch to me.

I'll walk.

(I originally read the thread name as "ruining for health" - that's actually pretty close to true, judging from the many knee and joint issues among runners... people who walk frequently on the other hand seem to maintain weight and benefit without the hammering of the joints.)

#169864 - 09/27/12 11:33 AM Re: Runing for health [Re: lori]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted By: ETSU Pride

One of my co-workers is a habitual runner. She is having to ask for leave donations for blowing out a knee on a routine run - MRIs, Surgeries, etc.

Doesn't sound like top notch to me.

Talk about pouring a cold bucket of reality on the enthusiasm of youth!

I think a lot of people don't know when to back off on training. After all, they are not doing it for money and are not getting the support a professional would (the whole crew of people who help them prepare for races). So they end up over training by running too much and not spreading their workouts over a number of disciplines like weight training and core training. Anyway, I hike and jog alternately on trail, mainly to keep my heart rate up. As an example, at the top of a steep climp I do not stop to rest and keep going for my cool down. When my heart rate drops low enough (each person is different) I jog to raise it. But no concrete or asphalt for me. I was done with that a long time ago.

#169881 - 09/27/12 05:20 PM Re: Runing for health [Re: skcreidc]
lori Offline

Not sure how running five.miles every couple of days really rates - i'm no runner. But It doesn't sound hardcore to me.

#169893 - 09/27/12 08:38 PM Re: Runing for health [Re: lori]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I am essentially an ex-runner (four marathons and a marathon equivalent - N rim to S rim, Grand Canyon - it's only 22 miles. In training for these events, I would clock 50 to 100 miles a week, and I found I was in great shape for SAR. I eventually had to cut back, due to injuries. One authority speculated that the reason some runners achieved success in distance racing was their biomechanical perfection which enabled them to withstand the rigors of training, in contrast to the rest of us. I also seem to recall studies that indicated that running three miles a day or less decreases the chances of injury considerably.

I have also been a fairly consistent cyclist and now I depend upon that activity to keep me in shape in between hikes. It is very kind to the knees, provided you use adequately low gears. Biking also helped me rehab from running injuries. Even so, one of these days I will make a major titanium purchase - not cook gear, but a set of knees. Does anyone know if I will lose weight as a result? That's gram counting with a vengeance!!

#169894 - 09/27/12 09:54 PM Re: Runing for health [Re: oldranger]
ETSU Pride Offline

When I'm not hiking, I'm mountain biking. I had a knee surgery in December and I was back on the bike by April. I'm now up to about 50-100 miles a week depending on the weather. Running just plain sucks for my bone cement and plate leg.. before surgery my roommate and I would run, bike, and go to the gym. Now I'm just mountain biking, lol.

#169908 - 09/28/12 01:03 PM Re: Runing for health [Re: oldranger]
billstephenson Offline

Quote:
I will make a major titanium purchase - not cook gear, but a set of knees. Does anyone know if I will lose weight as a result? That's gram counting with a vengeance!!

Yeah, that sure is!!

When I was a kid my father built a car for guy named Doug Rose who was a double amputee. It was a "Jet" car he called the "Green Mamba" that he took on the drag racing circuit. Doug crashed the first one, and for the next version he had a set of new "Legs" made just for driving it that were shorter and lighter and the car was built to fit him and his new legs. That's dedication to the sport!

"You want to go where?"

#169913 - 09/28/12 07:23 PM Re: Runing for health [Re: billstephenson]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
For some odd reason many people don't get the idea of "too much" or "moderation" unless some "expert" explains the concept after charging a lot of money to impart a bit of common sense.
So here it is : eating a carrot a day can be good for your health.
Eating a 2 pound bag of carrots every day will eventually poison you.
Same for any food /drink or activity.
Find someone that runs on soft ground (IE not on hard pavement) a few miles a week and most likey that person will be in good health.
On the other find a competitive runner and by the age of 50 (much less often) they will talk about injuries and bad knees.
BTW, since this is a backpacking forum, the same goes for heavy loads (50lbs and up)
"I used to regularly carry 50lbs plus..." is a comment usually followed by "but now because of bad knees..."

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum