Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#169520 - 09/18/12 11:45 AM spout for fuel bottle
anicinabe Offline

Loc: Ohio
I used to have a ring that fit between the cap and the fuel bottle. It had a spout on one side with a breather hole on the other side for flow control. You didn't leave it on when not in use but tied it to the cap. I've lost mine and don't see anywhere that sell these anymore. Anyone out there know where to find them or has an extra one that they'd part with?

#169523 - 09/18/12 12:50 PM Re: spout for fuel bottle [Re: anicinabe]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle

#169597 - 09/20/12 09:10 AM Re: spout for fuel bottle [Re: PerryMK]
anicinabe Offline

Loc: Ohio
Nope it was a plastic ring that slid on to the thread part of the cap and was removeable. I'm sure some of the grey beards remember them.

#169602 - 09/20/12 12:45 PM Re: spout for fuel bottle [Re: anicinabe]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I do - I actually had one, and it worked well. There was also a full spout that had a small tube coming out of it for pouring; it worked great, but didn't have a stopper, so you ended up carrying a stopper-cap and a pour cap on a loop of cord, just like the flat disc.

As I recall, the original Sigg stopper spout had a couple of holes down in the threads; their idea was that you unscrewed the cap a bit, and could pour fuel out one hole while using your finger on the other to control the flow rate. It would have worked great, except for all the fuel leaking out around the unscrewed edges.

I haven't seen one of the discs for years, however.

Edited by Glenn Roberts (09/20/12 05:54 PM)
Edit Reason: Yeah, I meant Sigg - had the Sigg cook set, too

#169605 - 09/20/12 12:57 PM Re: spout for fuel bottle [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Yeah, I remember both of those. The red ring was crafted to work with the once ubiquitus Sigg fuel bottles, matching with the vent holes. It may have been made by a third party, not Sigg, I simply can't recall at this point. I probably have one in a random box but I've pretty much stopped toting WG stoves and when I do, they're pump-in-bottle types. The other was a standard Sigg plastic screwtop with a tube inserted and an added vent hole. Had one of those, too.

For extra geezer points, the older metal-cap Sigg bottles had slightly different threading and the plastic cap didn't fit too well, while the red ring didn't work at all.

Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
I do - I actually had one, and it worked well. There was also a full spout that had a small tube coming out of it for pouring; it worked great, but didn't have a stopper, so you ended up carrying a stopper-cap and a pour cap on a loop of cord, just like the flat disc.

As I recall, the original Optimus stopper spout had a couple of holes down in the threads; their idea was that you unscrewed the cap a bit, and could pour fuel out one hole while using your finger on the other to control the flow rate. It would have worked great, except for all the fuel leaking out around the unscrewed edges.

I haven't seen one of the discs for years, however.

#169609 - 09/20/12 03:07 PM Re: spout for fuel bottle [Re: Rick_D]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
Yeah, geezer points for me!!! I still have one and actually use it once in awhile. I still use my Svea 123R and my Borde every once in awhile, especially on fall canoe trips with a group. In fact I just packed the 123, fuel bottle and spout. Leaving
Saturday morning with a group, my child bride and trophy wife's second canoe trip. Don't know who made them. best, jcp

#169612 - 09/20/12 04:08 PM Re: spout for fuel bottle [Re: JPete]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
Adding to my last post: The spout I'm using is grey, standard Sigg style cap. It has a small (quarter inch outside diameter) clear tube, just about an inch long coming out of the base of the handle at about a forty five degree angle, and has a tiny vent hole near the base of the handle (on the outside) on the other side. A finger on that vent hole keeps fuel from flowing until you remove the finger. It has "SIGG Switzerland" across the top of the handle. I did a quick check of the Sigg website, and all I found were water bottles. Maybe dig a little deeper or contact them.

I have used another version where the tube and the vent hole were in the saddle of the handle. I think I remember that these were a cottage industry product, but no idea who made them.

Best, jcp

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum