Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#169346 - 09/12/12 05:24 PM Will Emerald Mt SL2 footprint fit Copper Spur UL2
johnsey22 Offline

I just bought a Copper Spur UL2 on ebay and I've been looking online for a foot print. The Copper Spur foot print sells for $60+, but Big Agnes has the Emerald Mountain SL2 footprints on sale for $25. The tents have the exact same size floor specs. Does anyone own these 2 tents and will they interchange and be compatible?

#169351 - 09/12/12 10:24 PM Re: Will Emerald Mt SL2 footprint fit Copper Spur UL2 [Re: johnsey22]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I personally have not used a footprint for years and consider them both unneeded weight and an unnecessary sales gimmick. However, if you really want one, lighter (and cheaper) alternatives include, in order from the least to most durable and also from lightest to heaviest: (1) a piece of painter's drop cloth cut to fit, which lasts several trips; (2) a piece of polycro plastic (from storm window kits at the hardware; also available, more expensively, from Gossamer Gear and Mountain Laurel Designs), which will last a season or two; (3) a piece of Tyvek. When cutting to fit, cut the edge of your footprint to be an inch or two inside the edge of the tent floor on each side. Otherwise it will catch water that runs down the side of the tent and funnel it underneath.

If you are absolutely determined to spend the money and carry the weight of a manufacturer's footprint, probably the only ones who can answer your question are the customer service folks at Big Agnes.

Edited by OregonMouse (09/12/12 10:26 PM)

#169367 - 09/13/12 10:20 AM Re: Will Emerald Mt SL2 footprint fit Copper Spur UL2 [Re: OregonMouse]
johnsey22 Offline

I have considered these options but not sure if they will work with the 'fast fly' option if I wanted to leave the tent at home and just use the ground cover and fly (which reduces the weight by almost 1 lb.

#169368 - 09/13/12 10:22 AM Re: Will Emerald Mt SL2 footprint fit Copper Spur UL2 [Re: johnsey22]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
If it same floor size it may fit, but for fast fly option the pole loops on the footprint got be in the same spot. I did a quick look on Big Agnes' website, but couldn't find the Emerald Mountain tent.

#169391 - 09/13/12 10:31 PM Re: Will Emerald Mt SL2 footprint fit Copper Spur UL2 [Re: ETSU Pride]
johnsey22 Offline

Found these pics if it will help. They are basically the exact same tent except the EM has 'D' doors that open to the side, the Copper Spur's doors open down and the Copper Spur is made with lighter materials.
Other than that they are the exact same tent.

The guy at Big Agnes told me that the Emerald Mountain footprint clips would not fit the Copper Spur rain fly clips.
They look the same to me. What do you think?

Copper Spur UL2

Emerald Mountain SL2

Copper Spur UL2

Emerald Mountain SL2

Copper Spur UL2 Footprint

Emerald Mountain SL2 footprint

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 140 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum