Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#166426 - 06/04/12 01:07 AM Re: Armaments appropriate for UP black bears . . . [Re: oldranger]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Quote:
The whole episode did impress the future Mrs. Old Ranger.

I bet it did!!

When I was a teen we raised a few bulls. When they were young we wrestled with them a bit. When they got horns we used to play with them by tugging on them and having tug-of-wars with them. When they got to be about 1000 lbs they wanted to knock us on our butts and would come charging full bore at us and try and take a shot at us, so then I started to punch them in the nose. When they started coming back for seconds of that we ate them and I learned that we really should have turned them into steers a long time before that. cry

"You want to go where?"

#166469 - 06/05/12 09:55 AM Re: Armaments appropriate for UP black bears . . . [Re: billstephenson]
sandia Offline

So, if you want to use a firearm on a bear at close range, a 12-gauge with slug, I hear, is your only good choice.

Choosing a handgun would be an error, & BTW concealing it beforehand would not provide any advantage of surprise versus the bear.

Shooting a black bear as safety measure, however, would be highly dubious strategy. If successful, also very messy.

#166512 - 06/06/12 02:55 PM Re: Armaments appropriate for UP black bears . . . [Re: sandia]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
And weighty, at least here if you shoot one in self defense I believe you have to pack the entire critter out and give it to the Fish and Game people.

#166549 - 06/07/12 12:43 AM Re: Armaments appropriate for UP black bears . . . [Re: billstephenson]
byrdman Offline

Loc: N. Central Arkansas
That is funny--my dad had a thoroughly tame bull that a kid could ride--the only trouble was he had no sense of self. Dad was scratching between his horns one day and the the bull got to sort of nuzzling him and ended up pushing dad backwards into the side of his new pu truck. He pushed hard enough to leave a large impression of Dad's backside in the quarter panel just behind the cab. He never did tell Mom.

-- More on topic--
I was running a loop trail at Cane lake State Park a couple of weeks ago with a friend and we ran up on a sm/medium black bear - we were talking as we ran and the bear saw us about as quick as we saw him. He sorta looked us over (we stopped) and then moseyed on about his business pretty nonchalantly. I doubt that we got closer than about 30 yds of him. We had seen scat a mile or so back up the trail so were sorta looking for one. It was the first one I've ever seen while trailrunning. I was a bit surprised that the 1st was in South Arkansas!

My buddy just had to drag out the old joke that "he wasn't worried cause he only needed to out run me" (he can-easily). Running or fastpacking a firearm big enough to make a difference with even a small blackbear would be a ridiculous encumbrance. IMHO

#167952 - 07/22/12 11:12 PM Re: Armaments appropriate for UP black bears . . . [Re: byrdman]
Keith Offline

Loc: Michigan's Upper Peninsula

thanks again for the ongoing posts.

thanks

#169282 - 09/11/12 07:35 PM Re: Armaments appropriate for UP black bears . . . [Re: Keith]
bearclaw46 Offline

Loc: Alaska
I've done a lot of hiking up here in Alaska, esp on the Kenai Peninsula and a lot of hunting as well on rain soaked Prince William and SE AK islands. I've hike almost every trail on the Kenai Peninsula and have NEVER ran into a bear (Thank You God)but know folks who have and if they're not aggressive or real hungry, you'll never know they were there or just leave you alone. My friends were never charged. Most hunters tho carry heavy duty calibered firearms everywhere when they're hunting even small Sitka Black-tailed deer, just in case. A deer down overheard shot is a bear dinner bell, esp on Kodiak Island. A 338 Win Mag or 375 H&H is common for hunters up here. A lot of the REI crowd/hikers up here don't believe in nor carry firearms, but most of them aren't too pro-gun anyway but do carry the bear/pepper spray. Some of the more dumber ones don't carry any protection and would have the nerve to look surprised if they were mauled or killed. I have no problems with bear spray. Me? I always carried a S&W 44 Mag. I got smarter and now carry a 454 Casull which with a good hard cast hot load will go completely thru a big grizzly at any angle. They have their way and I have mine. I like the Boy Scouts motto, "always be prepared". For just black bears tho, some good bear spray should suffice. I was always told a grizz will normally just maul you but an aggressive black bear will kill you then eat you. Of course, we just had a hiker mauled and eaten up here by a grizzly in Denali Park for the first time, so go figure. If I were worried about black bears where the populations aren't as high as they are up here, I'd just go with the bear spray mainly to save weight. We have had instances up here where bear spray just pissed grizzlies off more but for the most part, it works, esp on black bears. If I were worried and really concerned about it, I'd learn how to use and carry a firearm, the least caliber I'd go with is a 357 Mag. 357's are pretty devastating on a black bear. You can kill a black bear with any deer caliber including the little 243 Winchester, which is a 6mm bullet. 44 Mag is better but a 357 will definitely put the hurt on a bb. Most of the time if something hurts, any normal animal will try and get away, of course if their adrenaline is pumping...your call there.

Edited by bearclaw46 (09/11/12 07:55 PM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 249 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum