Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#169223 - 09/10/12 11:09 PM Train your self to sleep on your back?
DieselTwitch Offline

Loc: Colorado
I'm trying to see if any one has managed to train them selfs to only sleep on their back. Im one of those that rolls in my bed at home but backpacking it can get quite painful. I've tried putting pillows on either side of my head.. It failed.

The main reason I'm doing this is so i can do away for the need of a pillow when I'm out. It's always a pain! And I can shave the weight.

#169228 - 09/11/12 01:01 AM Re: Train your self to sleep on your back? [Re: DieselTwitch]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
I use my rolled up fleece for a pillow, so there is no extra weight, and I can sleep the way I like to sleep.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#169236 - 09/11/12 09:26 AM Re: Train your self to sleep on your back? [Re: DieselTwitch]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Like balzaccom, I use clothing I would have brought anyway as a pillow. Typically I use a stuff sack to give it shape.

My wife hates it when I sleep on my back...I tend to snore when flat on my back. As an aside, if you typically sleep where there are trees, you may be a good candidate for a hammock set up.

#169238 - 09/11/12 09:29 AM Re: Train your self to sleep on your back? [Re: DieselTwitch]
lori Offline

Never going to do it. But, I have trained myself to confine my rolling to a 20" wide sleeping pad without tumbling off the side!

I use a stuff sack and my jacket for a pillow.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#169239 - 09/11/12 09:32 AM Re: Train your self to sleep on your back? [Re: skcreidc]
DieselTwitch Offline

I too throw my cloths in a stuff sack along with a small camping pillow. However thanks to combat my arms go numb when I sleep on my side in the woods. And the hamics are so uncomfatble that I can't sleep at all. Basically when I backpack I only sleep when on my back and for about 20 mins on my side. I want to find a way to train my self to stay on my back and not even want to roll on my side

#169241 - 09/11/12 09:44 AM Re: Train your self to sleep on your back? [Re: DieselTwitch]
lori Offline

When I'm in the hammock I can sleep all night on my back - it's more comfortable than the ground by far so I apparently don't feel the need to roll around in my sleep.

On the ground, all bets are off. I don't think it's possible to sleep on my back all night that way.

You are, I think, trying the wrong hammock. A camping hammock made to allow you to sleep flat is required for me.

#169244 - 09/11/12 10:10 AM Re: Train your self to sleep on your back? [Re: lori]
DieselTwitch Offline

Originally Posted By lori
You are, I think, trying the wrong hammock. A camping hammock made to allow you to sleep flat is required for me.

Unfortunately Im one of the few that hammocks will just never work for. Thanks to a combat injury I can ONLY sleep if Im flat or nearly flat. I tried a few different ones that my friends have in the backyard for a night and lasted about an hour in each one... just to painful for me. Not to mention the numb leg I get for the next day

#169245 - 09/11/12 10:14 AM Re: Train your self to sleep on your back? [Re: DieselTwitch]
lori Offline

So you haven't tried a bridge hammock, which sounds like it would be made for you. If you need to sleep in a narrow bathtub to keep yourself from rolling, the bridge hammock (Jacks R Better sells one) might be just the ticket. It's what stomach sleepers would use.

#169247 - 09/11/12 10:29 AM Re: Train your self to sleep on your back? [Re: lori]
DieselTwitch Offline

I had never even see those! From a quick google search it looks like they are all custom made? Your right, thats just might work! Although some of my trips have me sleeping well above tree line.... hard to hang a hammock lol

thanks

#169258 - 09/11/12 01:20 PM Re: Train your self to sleep on your back? [Re: DieselTwitch]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
Is this an injury similar or related to carpel tunnel? I only ask because side sleeping on the ground (or in bed) sometimes causes my arms/hands to become numb. I have an arm / hand brace I sometimes wear that takes care of it (I haven't weighed it to be honest wink )

#169262 - 09/11/12 01:45 PM Re: Train your self to sleep on your back? [Re: Heather-ak]
DieselTwitch Offline

No its a combo of caring a 100 lb combat load and being to close to an IED that cause nerve damage in my spine. Funny thing it only bugs be when I sleep and sleep on my side.

#169360 - 09/13/12 03:21 AM Re: Train your self to sleep on your back? [Re: DieselTwitch]
mimstrel Offline

When camping, I sleep in my normal sleep position (kind of a hybrid side/stomach position, and I switch sides throughout the night) with spare clothes as a "pillow."
But I did manage to find a way to sleep flat on my back without rolling around when I was on a school trip and had to share a bed with a girl who didn't appreciate my restlessness. For me, the trick ended up being to cross my arms across my chest. I don't know why it helped, but any time I need to sleep without moving, I do that.

I don't sleep as well that way, but... at least I do sleep. And it kept the peace on that trip!

#169361 - 09/13/12 08:35 AM Re: Train your self to sleep on your back? [Re: lori]
Blue_Ridge_Ninja Offline

Loc: North Georgia
Originally Posted By lori
When I'm in the hammock I can sleep all night on my back - it's more comfortable than the ground by far so I apparently don't feel the need to roll around in my sleep.

On the ground, all bets are off. I don't think it's possible to sleep on my back all night that way.

Ditto.

I don't toss and turn much anyway at home, but when I'm in the hammock I really don't move at all. My theory is that with the even weight distribution and no real hard points of contact, my body is completely relaxed. I literally don't wake up during the night at all unless I hear a loud enough noise or I have to pee.

#169405 - 09/14/12 07:14 AM Re: Train your self to sleep on your back? [Re: DieselTwitch]
sydneys Offline

Loc: South England
I have the same problem. Doesn't matter what sorts of walls I build either side of me, I always end up waking in the night with hip and shoulder digging into the bedroll. Would love to know if back sleeping is trainable, but in my case at least I doubt it!

#169408 - 09/14/12 08:59 AM Re: Train your self to sleep on your back? [Re: mimstrel]
DieselTwitch Offline

Originally Posted By mimstrel
When camping, I sleep in my normal sleep position (kind of a hybrid side/stomach position, and I switch sides throughout the night) with spare clothes as a "pillow."
But I did manage to find a way to sleep flat on my back without rolling around when I was on a school trip and had to share a bed with a girl who didn't appreciate my restlessness. For me, the trick ended up being to cross my arms across my chest. I don't know why it helped, but any time I need to sleep without moving, I do that.

I don't sleep as well that way, but... at least I do sleep. And it kept the peace on that trip!

THIS WORKED! I slept in my bed last night like this and woke up the same way I went to sleep... with my arms crossed!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 140 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum