Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#169125 - 09/07/12 09:05 PM Sleeping Gear
Abnrml1 Offline

Loc: IL
I would like to get everyone's opinion on what sleeping gear to use. I am planning a trip to Tennessee next May to do Erwin to either Watauga or Demascus and I am trying to figure out what I need for sleeping gear. I would love to get a nice bag but if I find a light weight bag it is way out of my price range and if I get one within my range the weight is going to be 6-9lbs.

At the end of May, would I even need a bag or could I get by with a tarp and a wool blanket. I want to be on the trail for 7-10 days and would like to keep my gear at about 30lbs including food.

My wife is not happy about me doing this (because of some medical problems) so my budget is extremely limited. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#169127 - 09/07/12 09:52 PM Re: Sleeping Gear [Re: Abnrml1]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
First question:

What is your price range?

I have an Alpine 20 from Sports Authority.

It weighs 3 lb 4 oz including the stuff sack and a plastic bag.

I used it last year in Colorado. I was given a diffent bag this year, but my son still uses his. Neither one of us uses a pad under the bag.

We are comfortable down about 25 degrees in them. But that's with extra clothes on and we both sleep warm.

So far the bags aren't showing any signs of wear and we have been out a lot.

Right now, it's on sale for $29.99. It's marked down from $59.99.

Edited by Gershon (09/07/12 09:56 PM)

#169129 - 09/07/12 10:24 PM Re: Sleeping Gear [Re: Gershon]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
To add to the topic. It's funny you came along as I've been thinking of Sgt. Rock's 300 challenge..

Rather than making it philosophical, I was going to add the requirement to spend 3 weekends out with it.

I'm usually one to recommend spending the money to buy intermediate gear or maybe stick to hiking instead. But now I'm not so sure.

The one thing I did decide is experience can make up for cheap gear. Yes, sometimes it may get uncomfortable, but long night's end. And it's hard to be cold while hiking except in extreme conditions. This means a new person will benefit from trying their gear out in their backyard or car camping. It's essential to get some rainy days.

It's likely you have most of the clothes you need around the house. Any pair of synthetic athletic pants will work. A lot of people hike in shorts. Any synthetic shirt will work.

To help prevent blisters, I'd suggest wool socks from Smartwool. But if you aren't prone to blisters a thin synthetic sock MIGHT work. You'd have to test it.

If I were going super cheap I wouldn't use a stove. Some will recommend a homemade alcohol stove. I've never been able to get one to work.

Hiking shoes are preferable to running shoes as they don't slip on the hills as much. If you can find a cheap pair on sale, they will work for a 10 day trip. Just be sure they are comfortable.

I'd stay away from cheap ponchos. But a military poncho will work. It's not the best, but many like them.

You will need some kind of jacket. Try ones you may have around the house. Also some long john tops.

I backpacked for 2 years without a pack. Google Yukon packs and you will find some designs you can make using your tarp for the bag.

For a tent, you can use an 8 x 10 tarp and a lightweight ground cloth. But you will need some experience in the rain to see what setup actually works. You COULD use a blue tarp, it's a bit heavy and you will get condensation if there isn't enough ventilation. But it's what I used on some trips as a kid.

#169131 - 09/07/12 10:59 PM Re: Sleeping Gear [Re: Abnrml1]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
Abnrml1,

I've been through that section in very early April. You could have a cold snap I guess, but by the time I got to Erwin (love that stop) I was mostly sleeping on top of my bag, though I was wearing clothes. Trail Days in Damascus are usually pretty warm. If you have a base layer like wool undies, and maybe one of those military surplus sleeping bag covers (usually really cheap) a fleece bag liner would be safe and cheap (and snuggly).

Have a really good trip. That's great hiking country. Best, jcp

#169184 - 09/10/12 01:08 PM Re: Sleeping Gear [Re: Abnrml1]
verber Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
Hmm... you haven't listed how much is the maximum you can spend. Kelty makes some decent light weight down sleeping bags which are often on sale at sierra trading post and campmor for just under $100.

Wool blanket + warm clothing is something that could work.. but I would encourage you to try it before you take your trip, maybe in your backyard when
the night time is likely to be the same as what you expect to be the coldest on your trip. The other possibility is to find a high loft bed quilt at a thrift shop. They won't be as light weight as down quilts designed for backpacking, but one made from a twin bed can be reasonably light and quite warm at a reasonable price. If you haven't tried it before, you might want to experiment with sleeping sitting up

The Str Rock $300 challenge is a good place to get some ideas. I also collected some idea on my backpacking for cheap page

Edited by verber (09/10/12 01:10 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 56 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum