Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168778 - 08/27/12 06:50 AM The ultimate backpacking outfit
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Apparently this is the gear tech nerds use, and they'll spend around $3600 to get it all, but...

Quote:
For a week-long trip with a ton of extra gear, it made an 80-pound pack feel a lot closer to 50.

That is pretty darn ultimate.

"You want to go where?"

#168781 - 08/27/12 09:14 AM Re: The ultimate backpacking outfit [Re: billstephenson]
lori Offline

I need to send him the GSI H2jo that's been on my "give it away" list for a long time now...

The Grylls knife, lol. I have a larger knife, but really want to figure out how to sharpen my Micra....

Amazon fail on the sleeping bag. Item Weight: 3.2 pounds. Shipping Weight: 1 pounds. ????? They fill the box with helium? (The actual weight of the bag is 1.5 lbs, apparently. Marmot is good gear, but hey Amazon, my Marmot 0 degree bag weighs 3 lbs....)

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#168782 - 08/27/12 09:15 AM Re: The ultimate backpacking outfit [Re: billstephenson]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Pretty darn expensive. I love the reviews the Marmot Plasma gets. I remember reading about it in the gear guide for Backpackers. It's too much for my blood and it might stop up my nose. (supposedly allergic to down, I found it an odd coincidence that I touched a down pillow the other day and sneeze. Maybe it was a dirty down. lol.)

#168783 - 08/27/12 09:17 AM Re: The ultimate backpacking outfit [Re: lori]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Originally Posted By lori

The Grylls knife, lol. I have a larger knife, but really want to figure out how to sharpen my Micra....

To be fair, that is one sweet looking knife. I saw it at Bass Pro Shop the other day when dad and me went. I didn't wanna buy it because it had his name on it. If only I can find that exact knife minus his name. grin

#168792 - 08/27/12 04:44 PM Re: The ultimate backpacking outfit [Re: ETSU Pride]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I believe that knife is a rebranded standard Gerber knife. You can hike a lot of miles without carrying a heavy, gaudy blade of that sort - they are actually pretty useless.

#168794 - 08/27/12 07:12 PM Re: The ultimate backpacking outfit [Re: billstephenson]
verber Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
I think a much light, cheaper, and just as functional kit could be assembled, especially if some cottage manufactured items were selected. i was surprised given the geek orientation with the mediocre flashlight / headlamp (rather than say the Zebralight H51 or one of the other lights that flashlight geeks rave about) and the clothing is just average with the exception of smartwool base layer.

--Mark

#168833 - 08/29/12 12:33 AM Re: The ultimate backpacking outfit [Re: billstephenson]
mdilthey Offline

80lbs? Am I the only one who sees a flaw in this guy's backpacking logic?

Also, the "ultimate" outfit is defined by region/weather so heavily. I love his baselayer (use it myself) but everything else, I'm just left thinking of lighter options.

#168843 - 08/29/12 12:08 PM Re: The ultimate backpacking outfit [Re: mdilthey]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
That article is the sort for which the acronym ROFL was invented.

#168844 - 08/29/12 12:14 PM Re: The ultimate backpacking outfit [Re: billstephenson]
Blue_Ridge_Ninja Offline

Loc: North Georgia
Only an "ultimate" sucker would shell out $3600 for backpacking gear.

#168846 - 08/29/12 12:33 PM Re: The ultimate backpacking outfit [Re: billstephenson]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
My initial reaction was, "Tee, hee...good one!"

Then I stopped to think, after noticing that some of his gear is the same stuff I use. I suddenly realized that this list was serious, and the writer was probably a fairly experienced backpacker. The whole article reminded me that this is a highly individualized sport, and that there is no right or wrong way.

The only genuine mistake I could see that the author made was to use words like "ultimate" and "best." There is no objective, true "ultimate" or "best" gear list - there is only the gear list that works best for me. (I'm assuming, for simplicity, that this was a three-season gear list for use in temperate, low-mountain/uplands situations.)

His is not the same list I'd put together, and is certainly heavier than what I'd carry. However, my load is heavier than many of you carry, and lighter than many others carry. It doesn't make any of us right or wrong - just different. Like the author, we did our homework and made the choices that were right for us.

He's obviously pleased with his gear, and it clearly fits his definition of what's needed for spending "a nice night on the trails." It just doesn't fit mine - and that's OK.

#168852 - 08/29/12 12:52 PM Re: The ultimate backpacking outfit [Re: billstephenson]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Dear lord, he really went apes*%t with the REI catalogue. Was actually doing okay with the shelter snd sleeping system but pretty much everything else is off the rails.

Presuming I could actually pick the rig up, I'd be good for two, three miles a day. Please look for my new book, "The John Muir Trail in Two Easy Vigorous Months!"

#168859 - 08/29/12 04:03 PM Re: The ultimate backpacking outfit [Re: BrianLe]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Originally Posted By BrianLe
That article is the sort for which the acronym ROFL was invented.

Brian, it's obvious your not a true computer nerd, so let me explain the algorithm...

Before high powered computers were invented a 50 pound pack used to feel like 80 pounds, and that's before you even strapped it on and lugged it for a mile. That's 30 extra pounds you were carrying. Now that 80 pound pack that feels like 50 pounds is actually saving you 60 pounds, so when you only put 50 pounds in it you end up being 10 pounds lighter than if you were carrying nothing at all.

It takes a really big computer tower to figure this kind of stuff out, and that's why you also want to bring condoms when you get "The ultimate backpacking outfit". Computer nerd hiker chicks go crazy over a big package like that and there's a sub routine for a 3D simulation that shows that more often than not it takes both an axe AND a Bear Grylss knife to fend them off.

Honestly, with all the miles you've hiked I'm surprised you haven't seen that happen, all the computer simulations indicate it's very likely. All I can say is you really have to get indoors more laugh

"You want to go where?"

#168886 - 08/30/12 10:35 PM Re: The ultimate backpacking outfit [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
One time I had 45 items in my pack valued at $4,500.

ee if you have an eight hundred dollar tent, backpack, and sleeping bag, a digital camera, and a katadyne filter, the money adds up quickly.

Its cheaper to get what you want the first try.
Jim smile

#168889 - 08/30/12 11:39 PM Re: The ultimate backpacking outfit [Re: billstephenson]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
By gum, my first backpack had two 5-1/4-inch drives: one for the OS and one for the applications.

Now you kids get offa my, uh, green area thingie.

#168903 - 08/31/12 04:53 PM Re: The ultimate backpacking outfit [Re: ETSU Pride]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By ETSU Pride
Originally Posted By lori

To be fair, that is one sweet looking knife. I saw it at Bass Pro Shop the other day when dad and me went. I didn't wanna buy it because it had his name on it. If only I can find that exact knife minus his name. grin

You can. It is called the LMF II. I have seen reviews comparing the two. The LMF is a better built knife.
LMF

#168904 - 08/31/12 04:55 PM Re: The ultimate backpacking outfit [Re: finallyME]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
So, where is the titanium? How can you have an ultimate kit without titanium?

#168926 - 09/01/12 04:43 PM Re: The ultimate backpacking outfit [Re: finallyME]
Capilet Offline

Originally Posted By finallyME
So, where is the titanium? How can you have an ultimate kit without titanium?

EXACTLY! You can't not have a titanium spork at least (though I do adore the LMF sporks, have them all over the place).

The list was an interesting read -- I have some of the same things in my gear, but in a lot of cases I have either purchased the smaller/lighter version or found something higher end on ultra sale or clearance, or second hand. I have an older TNF tent I picked up for $7, and I much prefer the packing size if the smaller BD lantern. The shell they mentioned is meh at best as well, I much prefer my OR shell which I paid about the same for on clearance.

I am also always inheriting things from my brother who is more adventurous and tough on gear than myself! I am a backcountry rider, where he is the mountaineer/iceclimber in the family.

#168931 - 09/02/12 01:31 AM Re: The ultimate backpacking outfit [Re: billstephenson]
Warren_G Offline

Loc: Saskatoon, Canada
Wow, I did alot of research when buying all my gear last year, and got much of what is listed here. The Plasma 30 is a backpackers dream and kept me warm for a week above the snow line in Kananaskis. I did have a couple different things that were improvements for me. Jetboil instead of the Dragonfly and related pots and pans, Tarptent moment instead of the Big Agnes, but I am surprised at how close this was to my gear list.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum