Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168511 - 08/15/12 07:25 PM ideas for DIY that do not require sewing ****
backcountrybart Offline

hi guys,

i'm new to DIY. I got into it because i started wanting a hammock but wanted a more personalized set-up. anyway, i'm looking for some really cool and useful things that i can make at home that do not require the use of a sewing machine. a small amount of hand sewing is o.k. i'v been camping and involved in scouts for a long time so i almost have everything one could want but i want to make cool personalized stuff.

-backcountrybart

#168512 - 08/15/12 10:12 PM Re: ideas for DIY that do not require sewing [Re: backcountrybart]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
You can start here for some cool ideas.

Where do you do most of your camping?

"You want to go where?"

#168582 - 08/19/12 11:25 PM Re: ideas for DIY that do not require sewing [Re: billstephenson]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
We're working on a post for our blog about this kind of thing, We've made a pot cozy out of an old sleeping pad that FINALLY allows us to eat hot dinners in the backcountry...

AMazing what you can do with close-cell foam, a knife, and some duct tape!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#168607 - 08/20/12 08:17 PM Re: ideas for DIY that do not require sewing [Re: balzaccom]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
I'm working on a taptent like design with some bug net tyveck tape, contact cement, and a little oragami !

#170224 - 10/08/12 07:46 AM Re: ideas for DIY that do not require sewing [Re: backcountrybart]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
Some items that can be made with no or minimal sewing-

As already mentioned, check the DIY section of this site, glued tarps/tents, and pot cozies.

Hammocks-Google Risk's site.

Stoves: Alcohol, Esbit, wood.

Windscreens

DIY pot from cans

Stakes, knives, utensils, trowels

Fleece poncho or blanket (Fleece doesn't fray, so edges need not be finished)

#171440 - 11/04/12 09:58 PM Re: ideas for DIY that do not require sewing [Re: CamperMom]
Zippy Morocco Offline

My first MYOG project was Cuben fiber stuff sacks. Very easy to do with two sided tape. Then I went on to make rain jacket and rain kilt also bonded though the jacket did require a little sewing for the zippers.

#171442 - 11/04/12 10:31 PM Re: ideas for DIY that do not require sewing [Re: Zippy Morocco]
billstephenson Offline

Hey Zippy, welcome to the forums!

I finally got to see cuben fiber for the first time last year. A woman who was camping near me had a tarp made from it. I didn't mess with it much, but I felt it and checked out her set up pretty good. It is impressively light, and she said it worked good for a tarp for her.

It looked pretty delicate to me. I didn't get to poke at it or stretch it or anything, but it didn't look like it was strong. How have your stuff sacks held up?

"You want to go where?"

#171465 - 11/05/12 09:05 AM Re: ideas for DIY that do not require sewing [Re: billstephenson]
Hermes (Nick G) Offline

There's a way to make a set of lightweight camp slippers out of a cheap sleeping pad. I'll see if I can find it.

#171503 - 11/05/12 08:04 PM Re: ideas for DIY that do not require sewing [Re: backcountrybart]
PDA Offline

I was quite impressed by the ideas in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgCUc_aUn...mp;feature=plcp

This is a hammock specific tarp, but the same techniques and materials can be used for flat tarps and shaped tarp shelters (hexamid type eg). Use plastic drop cloth LDPE or polychryo and reinforced mail strapping tape or high test (2120?) 3M duct tape as the stres line reinforcement. There are multiple examples on you tube if you look carefully. Many people use Tyvec and tyvek tape.

#171641 - 11/08/12 01:20 AM Re: ideas for DIY that do not require sewing [Re: billstephenson]
Zippy Morocco Offline

Thanks for the welcome Bill. I have been a regular over at Backpacking Light where I saw something mentioned about this forum. Thought I would come see what's happening here. I like what I see so far. It seems pretty positive here. I like that.

Now about Cuben. I continue to add Cuben pieces to my set up.I Have have been very happy with the durability of the items I use. I haven't had to repair anything yet but it is very easy to repair even if out in the backcountry. It is certainly less fragile than it looks and feels.

#171642 - 11/08/12 01:29 AM Re: ideas for DIY that do not require sewing [Re: billstephenson]
Zippy Morocco Offline

Originally Posted By billstephenson

It looked pretty delicate to me. I didn't get to poke at it or stretch it or anything, but it didn't look like it was strong. How have your stuff sacks held up?

I should add. I have been using the stuff sacks for about 500 miles with no special treatment. They are all in great shape still. I'm expecting most of them will last through my upcoming AT hike too.

Edited by Zippy Morocco (11/08/12 01:30 AM)

#174899 - 02/09/13 05:17 PM Re: ideas for DIY that do not require sewing [Re: backcountrybart]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
A PLTQ = poncho liner top quilt. PLUQ (under quilt for hammock) can also be made.

Poncho liners can be found at army/navy surplus stores for around 20 - 30 bucks.

I cut mine and did in fact sew grosgain around the edge because it is rather larger than my needs (I am a small dude at 5'6") and I wanted to save weight, but you don't have to.

There are strings around the perimeter, tie the bottom strings together till about 24" from the bottom to form a foot box. walla, a top quilt good to around 40 degrees pending on if you are a warm or cold sleeper. 40 has been good for me thus far.

Edited by GDeadphans (02/09/13 05:18 PM)

#174901 - 02/09/13 10:11 PM Re: ideas for DIY that do not require sewing [Re: GDeadphans]
djtrekker Offline

Loc: Virginia
To extend my 40 degree down bag (really nice bag, but I just don't have the cash to buy new "nice" bags for each temp range) with either/and liner, and a poncho liner (from my Army days). The poncho liner serves multiple purposes for both the trail and car camping. It's a nice, versatile implement. Used alone in summer it makes a good loose throw for cool evenings. I like the fact that it is big enough to fold over into a complete sleeping bag.

#175114 - 02/15/13 01:34 PM Re: ideas for DIY that do not require sewing [Re: backcountrybart]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA

#175120 - 02/15/13 04:37 PM Re: ideas for DIY that do not require sewing [Re: DJ2]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I was just reading that one DJ over at BPL. You look very stylish. That fish net should come in handy on the strip. wink Great idea though. Make sure to report how it works out.

#175121 - 02/15/13 07:30 PM Re: ideas for DIY that do not require sewing [Re: DJ2]
billstephenson Offline

I know this is a diversion, but the fishnet being "as warm as a solid fabric" is sure interesting. I can see how that would work. It should keep the cold windproof shell off of your skin, and trap the air next to your skin, where it should warm up.

That's a pretty darn brilliant way to reduce the weight and volume of clothing. I've got to try that out.

Thanks for sharing that!

"You want to go where?"

#175123 - 02/15/13 07:59 PM Re: ideas for DIY that do not require sewing [Re: billstephenson]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
I remember the fishnet style baselayer was quite popular in the 70's for that very reason. I do believe we used cotton too.

#175130 - 02/16/13 12:31 PM Re: ideas for DIY that do not require sewing [Re: DTape]
billstephenson Offline

Originally Posted By DTape
I remember the fishnet style baselayer was quite popular in the 70's for that very reason. I do believe we used cotton too.

After reading the thread on the sleeping pad jacket (which is pretty cool too) and then the comment on the fishnet, I got to wondering about how you might make a thicker layer that would allow for more airspace. More airspace (to a point) should make it warmer. A loosely crocheted "Afghan" type layer came to mind, or maybe fleece with holes punched in it.

So you have a rain/wind proof outer shell, with an thick airspace layer, and the fishnet as in inner layer. That ought to be warm, light, breathable, fast drying and fairly compressible.

I might have to play with this concept a bit. It's just too easy not to.

"You want to go where?"

#175134 - 02/16/13 02:33 PM Re: ideas for DIY that do not require sewing [Re: billstephenson]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Bill,

I agree with your thoughts. I made some wool fishnet out of a sweater that had big gaps between the yarn and the yarn was very thick. I liked it.

Perhaps another way to experiment would be to try wearing two fishnet tops at the same time?

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum