Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168475 - 08/14/12 01:19 PM Looking for mid layer suggestions
Cranman Offline

Loc: Central NC
I would like to find a good mid layer for winter use. Typically we would not be out below 20F. I currently have a waterproof breathable shell and several base layer options, but my mid layer jackets are low quality fleece. I'd love to get a Patagonia down shirt but they are pricey and only 1/4 zip. I need full zip because I tend to overheat quickly. Seems like a light synthetic or down jacket that had zip off sleeves would be ideal, but I have not seen one yet. Closest thing has been some cycling jackets. Any suggestions?

#168490 - 08/14/12 10:34 PM Re: Looking for mid layer suggestions [Re: Cranman]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
I bought a Patagonia nanopuff pullover on sale last fall for this reason. I'm in a warmer climate, but I love the jacket. Recommend googling for on sale, and maybe waiting until spring. Now's beginning to be the good time to buy summer stuff.

#168492 - 08/14/12 10:48 PM Re: Looking for mid layer suggestions [Re: Cranman]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I've had good luck with my Outdoor Research Radiant LT zip fleece pullover while hiking in temperatures in the 20s and 30s. Works well while I'm moving. When I stop for a break, I pull on a down vest, or my rain jacket. It won't keep me warm enough sitting in camp; then I add a hooded down jacket (vest and jacket are Western Mountaineering Flash.)

#168608 - 08/20/12 08:55 PM Re: Looking for mid layer suggestions [Re: Cranman]
verber Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
Are you looking for mid-layer while hiking or once you have stopped? My experience is that when I am hiking a heavy weight base or a featherweight base + light weight fleece (like the Patagonia R1) and shell keeps me quite comfortable at 20F. My daughter likes using a featherweight base + lined wind jacket like the Marmot DriClime Windshirt in those conditions.

For when stopped, something puffy is really nice. The best value IMHO are the down jackets from Montbell but they aren't cheap. REI has made a Primaloft Jacket with zip off arms which I often see on the clearance rack in my local store.

--Mark

PS: Starting next Thursday Patagonia beings their annual Memorial Weekend sale. If you have an outlet near you it the outlet price - 40%. They also typically have pretty good sales on their website.

#168620 - 08/20/12 10:39 PM Re: Looking for mid layer suggestions [Re: verber]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
uhhhh, Mark--isn't that Labor Day weekend that's coming up? And I thought I was out of sync after missing most of the hiking season!

To the OP--I bought a very lightweight fleece vest to use as a midlayer for while I'm actively hiking. Frankly, it turned out to be too warm! Instead, I use a Patagucci Merino 1 long sleeve crew neck (men's) which, over my standard Capilene 2 base layer and under my windshirt was just about right--that with temps in the mid to low 20's and the wind blowing. I also wore Smartwool liner gloves and a Smartwool headband (with a hat I was, again, too warm). Of course as soon as I stopped, the down jacket came out!

A lot depends on what kind of weather you expect. The only time I worry about a separate hiking mid-layer is in shoulder season or in alpine areas.

Also, as already mentioned, there is a lot of difference between a mid-layer for when you're actively hiking, when you want to be comfortable but not sweat, and the insulation layer needed to keep you warm when you stop to rest or camp!

Oh, and REI is also having a sale, as is this site's sponsor backcountrygear.com. I suspect that all the major retailers are having sales!

Edited by OregonMouse (08/20/12 11:08 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum