Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168380 - 08/10/12 01:22 AM New Dog
Abnrml1 Offline

Loc: IL
I'm new to the board here and new to backpacking. I'm getting a new pup to take with me on outings and wanted to know if anyone had any experience with Catahoula Leopard Curs.

#168403 - 08/10/12 12:51 PM Re: New Dog [Re: Abnrml1]
smidge Offline

don't have any personal experience wish them. butility I almost adopted one from the local pound. they are awesome dogs man. instead I adopted a ridgeback/lab mix. bit shecdoesnt go on many outings with me unfortunately. (pretty sure she's got hip

#168848 - 08/29/12 12:37 PM Re: New Dog [Re: smidge]
mccallum Offline

Loc: Kansas
smidge
get her neck/spine checked as well; if there ae issues there it will cause a limp. Read my post on limping dog.

#168850 - 08/29/12 12:44 PM Re: New Dog [Re: Abnrml1]
mccallum Offline

Loc: Kansas
Most any dog will make a good partner; hiking or other wise. Make sure the dog knows you are the pack leaders and then make sure you train your pup on leash and off lead, if you will choose to do this (and make sure the dog will obey commands off lead before you are in the woods and the dog is off to the races after a deer or whatever!) Also remember a black/darker colored dog heats up quicker than a lighter colored dog. Yeah personal experience Lab mix times 2 over time.

The lab mix I walk with is good; he is having some issues needed to rehab after a neck injury.

#168952 - 09/03/12 04:29 PM Re: New Dog [Re: mccallum]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
While I was away this summer doing an extended backpack trip my husband got lonely and bought a puppy! We had talked of a lab, but when I got home, here was a Boarder Collie. So, we too, have a new dog and hope to take it backpacking. I was however dismayed to read that Boarder Collies are considered a poor choice for small children (we have 8 grandchildren under the age of 5). The pup is 10 weeks old now and we take her on twice daily walks on a leash and my husband takes here to the archery range every morning, off leash. The breed supposedly has a herding instinct - she really wants to chase cars. So I worry about chasing animals if backpacking. The breed is supposed to be very agile, so we hope she becomes good at off-trail travel too. One question - how old should a pup be for their first backpack trip? PS, I have a "dog story" to tell from my trip this summer. I am trying to post the trip but Photobucket is having issues right now.

#168956 - 09/03/12 05:32 PM Re: New Dog [Re: wandering_daisy]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Obedience training! It will take multiple classes--for each level, one session to teach you and a second to teach your dog. My Hysson graduated from his level one class in one try, at the head of his class. To make up for his precocious start, it took four classes at the second level before they'd let him go on to the third, which was all off-leash. Hysson regarded having his leash removed as an invitation to go play with the other dogs. He went on, though, to pass Level 4 and get his Canine Good Citizen certification (a hard test to pass!). A beginning agility class (once the dog is mature enough, see below) is an excellent idea for a hiking dog--any dog that is confident going through tunnels and walking over a teeter-totter will have no problems with log creek crossings and deadfall on the trail.

Crate training, in addition to being the best way to house-break when you can't watch the pup constantly, really trains the dog to relax and sleep contentedly when in the tent.

Border collies are a high-energy dog which need lots and lots of exercise. A bored dog is a problem dog, with any breed. Please put a stop to the car-chasing ASAP before you lose the pup!

I am really sold on the Premier Pet Products Gentle Leader for training; it's far more effective than the "choke" training collar (which can cause a ruptured larynx). If possible, get the complete kit from them which includes an excellent booklet.

Go easy on long difficult hikes and avoid packs (unless empty) until the pup is fully mature--it's wear and tear and possible injury to immature joints that is the issue. The age of maturity varies with size and breed of dog. With Labs and Goldens (my dog is a mix of the two), it's 2 years old. Consult your vet for your breed.

Of course, the price for all this dog advice is cute puppy pictures!!! Please!

Right now my Hysson looks really weird because he had a bunch of skin growths removed a few weeks ago. The best I can describe it is that his coat looks like an aerial view of a forest full of clear-cuts!

#168974 - 09/04/12 08:31 AM Re: New Dog [Re: OregonMouse]
Abnrml1 Offline

Loc: IL
Thanks for this advice OM. Here is a pic of my new Catahoula at 7 weeks. I'll get more later. We just picked her up yesterday. My daughter's puppy just died after having it for 3 days so the family with the Catahoula pups gave her one for her own so now we have two new pups. I'll get pics of both of them later today. This is my pup Kacey.

#168983 - 09/04/12 12:08 PM Re: New Dog [Re: Abnrml1]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Puppies!! I'd have 5 or 6 dogs if I could...but I also want to stay married. Good luck with the training and all!

#168989 - 09/04/12 02:19 PM Re: New Dog [Re: Abnrml1]

What a cutie!

#168998 - 09/04/12 04:06 PM Re: New Dog [Re: OregonMouse]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California

Gudalupe (Lupe), 9 wks.

#169015 - 09/04/12 09:33 PM Re: New Dog [Re: wandering_daisy]

TWO cute puppies in one day! My cup runneth over!!!
awesome thanks

#169092 - 09/06/12 03:55 PM Re: New Dog [Re: wandering_daisy]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Great shot! Another cute puppy picture. I second the agility training as a great way to bond with the dog and to teach the dog to move where you want her too.

There is a broad spectrum as to when a dog is ready for the field. Tica was super coordinated and ready to go at 5 months. She is not a very large dog though, and a working dog at that. We had our first easy backpacking trip at 9 months. She wore her pack with nothing in it and did just fine. She did almost get me injured a few times as she was on leash and, well, there are squirrels out there. I did not put any weight on her until she was almost 2 years old.

Edited by skcreidc (09/06/12 04:01 PM)

#169094 - 09/06/12 05:15 PM Re: New Dog [Re: skcreidc]
midnightsun03 Offline

Loc: Alaska
Squirrel!

whistle

#169102 - 09/06/12 08:30 PM Re: New Dog [Re: midnightsun03]
squark Offline

Loc: SF bay area, CA
This is a great resource for Border Collie owners:
http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.php?act=idx

Not too many serious backpackers (that I know of) on there, but they can help with small children and chasing cars issues. Good luck! She's adorable.

Moderator:  Glenn Roberts 
Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum