Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168218 - 08/04/12 03:01 PM Carry on backpack
GrumpyGord Offline

Loc: Michigan
Does anyone have a suggestion for a backpack which would be usable for an airplane carry on? The limit is 14 x 9 x 22. It would seem that it would be possible to get enough in a pack that size to survive for several days if your luggage got lost. I did a search but cannot find anything in past discussions. Cheap or used would be good. Durable and comfortable are not prime considerations. Hopefully it would only be used while in transit to and from the destination.

#168221 - 08/04/12 05:19 PM Re: Carry on backpack [Re: GrumpyGord]
PerryMK Offline

Loc: Florida panhandle
Over the years I have accumulated a number of pieces of luggage. Different pieces for different uses. I once had a serious luggage and travel accessory gearhead thing going blush.

I have an older model ebags.com rolling backpack carryon the size you mention. I like that it rolls but wheels make it heavy not as crammable. I believe Rick Steves also has several models on his site. Also, eBags.com is a nice place to check out features and sizes.

The thing about maxing out size is there is always a real chance of not being able to find overhead space. Ironically, my experience is that the bigger the plane, the less the overhead space.

A favorite of mine, and able to hold several days of stuff, is a Jansport Merit. It's about 19 inches tall but no frame or wheels so it can be crammed down a little if needed. It fits head-in (not sideways) in most overhead compartments so more likely to find room overhead. It can fit under the seat in a pinch (cramming) but uses all foot space. This is about as big as a pack can get and still fit head-in in most overhead compartments and have the underseat option.

My first one tore a strap and Jansport repaired it for the cost of shipping it to them, so a very good and reliable warranty. It's also very reasonably priced, often around $50. Lots of color and pattern options too. Shop around as different stores seem to have different colors and patterns.

#168222 - 08/04/12 05:58 PM Re: Carry on backpack [Re: PerryMK]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
With many airlines now charging for checked bags, the competition for that overhead bin space is intense!

My regular backpack will work fine if I take the removable stays out. I'm not too sure what I'd do with them, though! Stick them down my back after I go through security, maybe? I never yet have flown to a backpacking location; I prefer to drive and take my dog. Being retired, I have plenty of time to do so.

I have an REI travel pack I bought in 1992. It has stays, shoulder straps and a hipbelt, plus a zippered panel to cover the shoulder straps and hipbelt so it looks like a regular suitcase should I want to walk into a fancy hotel. I've used it exclusively for luggage ever since and it still holds up fine. The leather cover for the handle has a small tear but otherwise the pack/suitcase still looks new. I don't know if REI makes them any more. It is not, however, lightweight!

It still fits in all the gizmos they have to measure carry-on luggage, but the last time I flew (2 weeks ago) I had to check it (no carrying it through airports with my plantar fasciitis) and I was glad I did, after watching the cutthroat competition in the airplane aisle!

#168230 - 08/04/12 08:08 PM Re: Carry on backpack [Re: OregonMouse]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

I have use an MEC 30 litre alpinelite bag for this purpose. - and it can be done - but there are a few challenges related to the security theatre you have to go through - knives and trekking poles aren't going to be allowed on. and your stove of course must be fuel-less. Your bic lighters may also be prohibited.

Generally these can be worked around by aquiring at the destination, but it can be problematic.

Browse my pictures

#168231 - 08/04/12 08:36 PM Re: Carry on backpack [Re: GrumpyGord]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I haven't used it (yet) for an airline carry-on, but I have used a Deuter AC Trail 32 pack as luggage for a 5-day visit to my daughter's; it worked really well, and wasn't any larger, packed, than the small carry-on suitcase I have flown with. I hate wheeling those things through airports and jockeying them in and out of cars, so a backpack really appeals to me.

#168254 - 08/05/12 09:16 PM Re: Carry on backpack [Re: GrumpyGord]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
For several years I have used a Lowe "Alpine Attack Summit" as a carry on; it has worked superbly, usually fitting comfortably under the available seat space so that I actually have access to its contents during the flight. It has been particularly useful on trips where there has been some hiking or field work involved. At 1800 cu in, it is on the small side, but still quite useful. A current equivalent would be the REI Flash series.

#168256 - 08/05/12 09:27 PM Re: Carry on backpack [Re: oldranger]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Right--a daypack of 20L or less should fit nicely under the seat in front with room to spare. Mine (women's REI Stoke 19) was great for my recent flight to Ohio (family wedding). I carried only a light sweater, rain jacket (never used either), paperback book, camera, water bottle. It might be that up to 25L would fit.

#168262 - 08/06/12 06:12 AM Re: Carry on backpack [Re: GrumpyGord]
GrumpyGord Offline

Loc: Michigan
Thanks all. It looks like the Jansport Merit would do what I want. I do not intend to use it for backcounty travel, just for getting around while traveling. You can usually take one checked bag and one carry on so by having something like that and putting the essentials in the carry on it would be possible to continue even if the main bag is displaced for a day or so. The good thing about the Jansport is that it can be purchased for about $40. I do not intend to become a frequent flyer. I much prefer to drive or take the bus or train.

#168609 - 08/20/12 09:09 PM Re: Carry on backpack [Re: GrumpyGord]
verber Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
I have used a Gossamer Gear Gorilla as a carry one. Works fine provided you don't stuff it completely full. The SMD Traveler has a better feature set, but once I hit the trail the Gorilla is more comfortable for me.

As far as backup style luggage (e.g. you carry it with backpack straps, but I wouldn't recommend it for multiple miles in the back country) my first suggestion would be Osprey's Porter 46. I have been using this for 10 years or so. A few more ideas are listed on my recommendations for lightweight travel

--mark

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 197 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum