Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168071 - 07/30/12 03:31 PM Lightweight pants that keep the wind out
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
My latest trek in the High Sierra's I found myself incorporating many of the recommendations from this site on lightening my load. One of these is I traded in my blue jeans for a pair of lightweight synthetic hiking pants.

In the evening the wind really kicked up and with the hiking pants and a pair of lightweight wool long underwear I was still cold when I was sitting around the stove making dinner. The wind was high enough that we all hit the sack early, but I am wondering what other people recommend. I could get thicker longjohns, but the problem seemed more to do with the wind going through the thin fabrics. Plus, thicker long johns might be too warm for other uses. I could add a pair of rain pants, but then I would be adding in another pair of pants. My upper body wasn't cold, and I attribute that to my rain jacket buffeting the wind. What are your esteemed opinions?

#168074 - 07/30/12 04:14 PM Re: Lightweight pants that keep the wind out [Re: BZH]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I always take rain pants, and they are the last line of defense. If it gets too cold even with them, time to crawl into the sleeping bag! There is really little difference in weight or bulk between wind pants (which aren't waterproof) and lightweight rain pants (which are).

Of course I live in an area where even during the dry season, there is waist-high dew-saturated brush to contend with.

#168076 - 07/30/12 04:41 PM Re: Lightweight pants that keep the wind out [Re: OregonMouse]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I'm with OM. I hike exclusively in shorts (summer and winter), and carry a pair of waterproof-breathable rain pants that double as wind pants or long pants on really cold days (layered over long johns.) If that doesn't work, it's time to go home or do what OM says: hit the sleeping bag.

Many people like long pants with zip-off legs, so they're not carrying a full set of wind pants. I might have to try that some time. (Of course, I also keep threatening to try a hydration system, too. smile )

#168081 - 07/30/12 07:30 PM Re: Lightweight pants that keep the wind out [Re: Glenn Roberts]
BZH Offline

Yeah, it sounds like rain pants are what I should get. The problem is around here rain is so rare it seems like an odd thing to buy. I guess if I am going to wear them most evening I would want something more durable than driducks.

#168083 - 07/30/12 07:41 PM Re: Lightweight pants that keep the wind out [Re: BZH]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
What you get would depend on whether you backpack at wetter times of year or plan to visit climates with more rain. If you only backpack where there is no rain, then wind pants would be sufficient. You might check out inexpensive nylon track pants in the athletic depts of big box stores.

#168094 - 07/31/12 12:10 PM Re: Lightweight pants that keep the wind out [Re: BZH]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Quote:
"In the evening the wind really kicked up and with the hiking pants and a pair of lightweight wool long underwear I was still cold when I was sitting around the stove making dinner."

Were you only cold from the wind when sitting around the stove, or also when walking? I do live in a rainy climate and rarely take along rain pants because when I'm moving I generate enough body heat that I don't want them.

If you're just cold "around the campfire" then the ~ultralight hikers solution to that is to not sit around the campfire. If you want some "communal" time, pitch your tents close enough that you can talk while each have at least lower bodies inside the sleeping bag.

It's an option, anyway.

If your shell jacket is on the long side, an option you could consider is rain (or wind) chaps. Lighter, and easier to put on and take off than lighter weight (no side zips) rain pants. I carry these along on trips where I think it could get very (cold) windy.

#168098 - 07/31/12 12:47 PM Re: Lightweight pants that keep the wind out [Re: BrianLe]
BZH Offline

Originally Posted By BrianLe
[quote]Were you only cold from the wind when sitting around the stove, or also when walking? ...

I was only only cold in the evening making dinner (and getting up in the morning). We had planned to do some star gazing after that, but it was too cold and windy. Getting in our bags early was the solution, it just didn't fit very well with the more communal nature of our treks.

Track pants are probably the solution. It rains so rarely in SoCal, that adding more rain gear to my kit seems like overkill. Chaps are an interesting idea I will have to look into. Do you recommend any brands?

#168108 - 07/31/12 07:17 PM Re: Lightweight pants that keep the wind out [Re: BZH]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
http://www.discountdance.com/view_catalog.php?pid=704&0

Link above shows what I've been recently using. At about 4 ounces each and $15 how can you go wrong.

I wear these for bug and sun protection.

Edited by DJ2 (07/31/12 07:36 PM)

#168117 - 08/01/12 08:49 AM Re: Lightweight pants that keep the wind out [Re: BZH]
BrianLe Offline

Personally I wouldn't want to carry wind pants that might be good enough to just sit around in camp with, but we each make this trade-offs differently.

Quote:
"Chaps are an interesting idea I will have to look into. Do you recommend any brands?"

It looks like the type I have aren't available anymore (or at least not here):
https://www.prolitegear.com/base_designs_spinnaker_chaps.html

If you're ever inclined to a set of driducks rain gear, just cut up the pants portion and make your own chaps; pretty light.

#168118 - 08/01/12 08:53 AM Re: Lightweight pants that keep the wind out [Re: BrianLe]
BrianLe Offline

I spoke too soon, FWIW it looks like MLD might stock these:
http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=77

They're noisy, or at least when you first get them, but they really are super light and pack small, so that I'll sometimes toss them in if I'm not sure that I need them.

Note that if you don't have a shell jacket that's cut pretty long, these can look a little --- kinky. A bit less noticeable when it's raining hard and folks have their heads down, but still, a heads up on that aspect.

I wouldn't see them as the idea gear for sitting around in camp, however.

#168120 - 08/01/12 10:38 AM Re: Lightweight pants that keep the wind out [Re: BZH]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
A random thought from the think-outside-the-box department: since your trips are communal, would a large silnylon tarp, pitched like a lean-to, be enough of a windbreak that you could all sit in front/under it and eliminate the cold-legs issue? Don't know if this would be practical in your situations, but thought I'd toss it out there.

Just remember, sometimes the stuff that's outside the box is just packing peanuts. smile

#168128 - 08/01/12 12:45 PM Re: Lightweight pants that keep the wind out [Re: BrianLe]
BZH Offline

Originally Posted By BrianLe
...these can look a little --- kinky....

Thanks for the links and the heads up

#168129 - 08/01/12 12:54 PM Re: Lightweight pants that keep the wind out [Re: Glenn Roberts]
BZH Offline

Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
A random thought from the think-outside-the-box department: since your trips are communal, would a large silnylon tarp, pitched like a lean-to, be enough of a windbreak that you could all sit in front/under it and eliminate the cold-legs issue? Don't know if this would be practical in your situations, but thought I'd toss it out there.

Just remember, sometimes the stuff that's outside the box is just packing peanuts. smile

I like outside the box thinking, but I doubt a lean-to would have helped much. We were in tree cover with large boulders, so we already (in theory) had pretty good wind protection. It was just really ripping.

#168133 - 08/01/12 03:09 PM Re: Lightweight pants that keep the wind out [Re: DJ2]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Originally Posted By DJ2
Link above shows what I've been recently using.

I have a few pair of something similar to those, mine are zip offs. I've had them for years and use them specifically as a windblocker. I should probably buy a pair of those you linked to. Mine are way past out of style and none of the stores sell them anymore.

One of those SOL emergency blankets will keep you warm in the conditions you describe if you have some good insulation under it. I've carried those E-blankets for years, but only really started using them the last couple years after I decided I wanted to test one. Used with even a cheap layer of fleece they are amazing.

I should probably be testing one now to see how well they work to provide some shade. It's been "Sunny and Hot" here for over a month straight now frown

"You want to go where?"

#169026 - 09/05/12 04:30 AM Re: Lightweight pants that keep the wind out [Re: BZH]
Dcsouthgw Offline

I agree that it isn't the insulation, it is the wind cutting thru your layers stealing the heat that would have been enough. Golite and Montbell both have decent prices on wind layers. Montbell's dynamo pants are about $75, but only 2.5 ounces. Same goes for a light wind jacket. It can really make the difference for making even a simple fleece much warmer when the wind isn't cutting thru it.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum