Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#167574 - 07/03/12 06:26 PM HAM Operators Unite!
DieselTwitch Offline

Loc: Colorado
I wanted to start a thread to talk about ham radios, gear, field setups, antennas... any thing else to deal with ham.

So share what you have, what you use it for, and why. Maybe we could spark some more interest in the hobby.

I Personally run a modified Yaesu VX-8R with the GPS/Hand Mic and a Diamond SRH999 Quad band antenna.

Im looking to get either an FT-817ND or a FT-857D for an HF/UHF setup. However, I haven't figured out what antenna I want to use yet, But I will be either making or buying an ATU. As for power, the 817 has an internal battery however reports say that it will suck the battery in just over 2 hours in just receive mode. I plan on using my 27W GoalZero Solar Panel Pack and buying a Sherpa 50 Battery pack. The weight of this setup is not light but spread among a group is not so unwieldy that it could not be transported.

Share your setup, ask questions...

#167591 - 07/04/12 01:27 AM Re: HAM Operators Unite! [Re: DieselTwitch]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Well, here I am again! grin

One of my primary reasons to go backpacking is ham radio.
If you are new to HF, might I suggest one of the MFJ Cub kits. You'll learn a ton and have a lightweight radio that will run several hours on AA batteries instead of 2 hours on receive like the 817 does. It's all about learning and kit building will be very rewarding and won't break the bank. All my HF gear is homemade or kits.

Paul

#167734 - 07/09/12 02:55 PM Re: HAM Operators Unite! [Re: DieselTwitch]
PaulTheSlow Offline

Hello DieselTwitch,

I have both the Yaesu 817 and 857 and have been pretty happy with them. However, the 857 is heavy for backpacking, current consumption on receive is even higher than the 817, and you probably wouldn't want to utilize the 100 watt capability of the 857 unless you were willing to lug more batteries.

The 817 is a good unit, but still a compromise, and there are other options out there.
The good: All HF band, all mode, 5 watts out, very compact, at least fairly rugged, many owners/proponents which means lots of good information on optimizing usage is out on the web. The bad: High power consumption on receive, weighs 2.5 pounds, no internal ATU. There are umpteen tricks for reducing power consumption (Google FT817 power consumption) that several hams have documented.

That said, I agree with Dryer about building one. I don't have any experience with the MFJ Cub, but I've built a Small Wonder Labs monoband SW model (not available now but supposed to be available after re-design) and an Elecraft KX-1. The SWL was inexpensive and a relatively easy build. The KX-1 was pricier, but 3-band (4 available now) with a built-in ATU available. The KX-1 is not a good first build, and the SWL is an easier build. These are both CW only, but if you're backpacking with it, for the sake of rig weight, power consumption and getting your signal out, CW is a really good way to go. This is personal for me, but having a QSO on something that I built is a real kick.

If you don't have time to build, Youkits has the HB-2B 4-band available for $299, built and tested, and it's sub-pound, but I haven't had my hands on one. Also CW-only.

If you want voice capability, the new Elecraft KX-3 will do all HF-bands and all modes for 1 pound less than the 817, and lower power consumption. That's my current dream rig, but note that it's pricier than the 817.

RE antennas: I've got an Alexloop walkham (small hand-held loop) for granite summits with lousy ground and 40 meters through 10; expensive and not as efficient as a dipole, but sets up on a summit in 5 min or under. I also have several PAR end fed halfwave mono bands for when I have trees or a mast. If you have multiple supports (e.g., trees) available, a do-it-yourself wire dipole is efficient, light, cheap, easy, and educational.

For more info, I've found the FT817, HFPack, NASOTA Yahoo groups to be informative, as well as the SOTAWatch reflector.

Hope this helps,

Paul - N1ZF

#167744 - 07/09/12 09:36 PM Re: HAM Operators Unite! [Re: PaulTheSlow]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Quote:
This is personal for me, but having a QSO on something that I built is a real kick.

Greetings N1ZF! I completely agree, communicating half way around the world on homemade gear and AA batts is a real kick.
With kits, you can lighten and modify all you want.
I too would someday like a KX-3 but $2000 (all bells/whistles) for a backpacker is a bit pricy....20 times the cost of what I use now. Elecraft is in a class by itself. I used a new K3 and K2 for our Field Day CW stations this year and nothing competes with their performance. A bit of a learning curve to drive one though...many menu options.

All my MFJ Cubs have Tick keyers on board. I can put them on beacon mode, sit back and enjoy lunch, while the radio calls away. As spartan as those radios are, I've worked the world with them and had a blast.
73! dit dit

#168012 - 07/26/12 11:40 PM Re: HAM Operators Unite! [Re: Dryer]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
Man I need to renew my licence"kg4byp" got it when I was twelve. With having my first child at twenty.It was a hobby of mine I just kind of let fade. Thanks for all the inspiration guys. Im going to have to get me a new arrl handbook and study up wink

On a side note while car camping of being the Fox in the woods.I usually used simple DIY jpole antennae made out of tv wire while in the backcountry attached to my radioshack HTC 202 on the 2 meter band with about 10 feet of coax

Edited by Samoset (07/26/12 11:41 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum