Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#167342 - 06/27/12 04:43 PM Lightweight polyester or nylon LS shirts?
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I am looking for a mens, long-sleeved, dress shirt in 100% nylon or polyester or a blend of the two. All of the shirts I have found so far are 35+% cotton - they look nice but they are not what I need. And, all of the "outdoor" nylon shirts such as those by ExOfficio are too thick/heavy, feature laden (mesh panels, zipper security pockets, bellows pockets, et al) and expensive ($65-$90).

What I am looking for is a simple, light-fabric, long-sleeved, long tailed, pocketed polyester or nylon dress-style shirt to wear as an alternative to sun screen and to help keep the breeze and bugs off my tender tummy. I like one pocket for my glasses but two would be even better. Can anybody help me by listing a source? Thanks.

#167343 - 06/27/12 04:52 PM Re: Lightweight polyester or nylon LS shirts? [Re: Pika]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Check out Duluth Trading Company. They have some very nice synthetic (nylon or poly, I am not sure) LS shirts with two flapped pockets and a small Napoleon pocket in a variety of colors, including some that are fairly bright. They also have short sleeve models as well. I have several and they are very versatile. I wear them for field work or hiking, but they will also do for an office casual environment.

#167377 - 06/28/12 12:03 PM Re: Lightweight polyester or nylon LS shirts? [Re: Pika]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
You can get a sunburn through a lightweight dress shirt.

I have found some of what you are looking for at thrift stores. Maybe look at Men's Warehouse or something similar?

When I was 16, my dad sent me off to Philmont with a wool sweater and one of his thin dress shirts. I don't think it was cotton. Amazing how well this combo works.

One other thing I thought of. If it has a low cotton amount, and it is really thin, the cotton will dry fairly quickly.

#167394 - 06/29/12 02:00 PM Re: Lightweight polyester or nylon LS shirts? [Re: Pika]
Jelly_Donut Offline

I went this route because I hate to wear sunscreen and bug spray. I settled on the Mountain Hardware Canyon long-sleeve shirt, which claims UPF 30 sun protection. It's pretty comfortable, too.

#167411 - 06/30/12 11:07 AM Re: Lightweight polyester or nylon LS shirts? [Re: finallyME]
tybee Offline

Loc: coastal georgia
as finallyME said, you can find a lot of good stuff in thrift stores. cheap and often new, too.

#167429 - 07/01/12 08:35 PM Re: Lightweight polyester or nylon LS shirts? [Re: Pika]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I would not worry about 35% cotton. My favoirte material is 60/40 nylon or rayon /cotton. The little bit if cotton adds breathability and I do not find it increases the dry time too much. I honestly do not like to hike in 100% nylon shirts - they just do not breath. The color of the shirt also adds sun protection - darker colors more protection. So if it is thin, go for darker colors.

#167430 - 07/01/12 09:25 PM Re: Lightweight polyester or nylon LS shirts? [Re: wandering_daisy]
Pika Offline

Thanks for the suggestion. I have never tried 60/40 synthetic/cotton for shirts. I have an old (circa 1970) Sierra Designs mountaineering parka that is made of 60/40; the cotton is supposed to swell up when wet and close up the holes between the threads. This is claimed to make the garment more water resistant. I also have an old (circa 1958) 2-person REI (Co-op in those days) tent made of similar fabric. It was, still is in fact, single-walled, weighs about 5 lb with poles and cost about $25. Both of them served me well for a long time.
I'll try the 35% cotton shirt; I use the shirt mainly for sun protection and not warmth. And, there are a lot of part-cotton shirts available in thrift shops.

#167431 - 07/01/12 09:30 PM Re: Lightweight polyester or nylon LS shirts? [Re: oldranger]
Pika Offline

OR, thanks for the info. I looked and found a single pocket nylon shirt that looks promising and light weight. I have ordered one and will let you know how it works. Wandering Daisy suggested that I don't really need a 100% synthetic shirt and, in fact, I never wear one around here in the summer. So, I think I'll give one of the 60/40 shirts a try. It should be OK for my adventures in Arizona and in the summertime Sierra. I'll be sure to let you know.

#167432 - 07/01/12 09:39 PM Re: Lightweight polyester or nylon LS shirts? [Re: finallyME]
Pika Offline

FinallyME, I have gotten a tan through a shirt but never sunburn.
I have checked a lot of the local thrift shops and could only find shirts with 35% to 40% cotton. A lot of them would have been otherwise excellent though. Both you and Wandering Daisy have said that shirts with a small amount of cotton should dry fairly quickly so I am going to try out one of the 60/40 synthetic/cotton blends. I can get them for about $1 each at the local thrift shop. I don't use the LS shirt for warmth anyway, it is mostly a replacement for sun screen. I have had 11 basal cell carcinomas carved out of my hide so far this life and don't want any more.

#167463 - 07/02/12 12:58 PM Re: Lightweight polyester or nylon LS shirts? [Re: wandering_daisy]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
... The color of the shirt also adds sun protection - darker colors more protection. So if it is thin, go for darker colors.

This is an interesting concept I've never heard before. I've seen the spf mentioned on a shirt, but as Pika mentioned, I've never been sunburned through a shirt before. As far as colors, darker colors will absorb more radiative energy from the sun. That means you will get hotter. For that reason, if I was looking for a sun protection shirt, I would get a lighter color. It is interesting that it sounds like you would go the opposite route.

#167578 - 07/03/12 07:05 PM Re: Lightweight polyester or nylon LS shirts? [Re: Pika]
wildthing Offline

Loc: Victoria, B.C.
Pika, I've had great results with 40% cotton shirts, anything with less cotton can get a little hot depending on the weave. Like Tilley shirts which are 70/30. I'm looking around for something in polyester that breathes well but has some decent pockets. The fabric is called "coolmax" but any company name will do if it breathes and wicks well. Problem is that these types of shirts often are not pocketed up well like hiking shirts.

#167654 - 07/05/12 12:00 PM Re: Lightweight polyester or nylon LS shirts? [Re: Pika]
lostagain Offline

Loc: DFW, Texas
I wear these to work as well as hiking. Was wandering around Bass Pro Shop and looking for exactly this type of shirt for hiking/backpacking which offered sun protection, was lightweight enough to be comfortable and offered a cool-down effect when the pack was off. Was hoping to find one that could also be used on the golf course.

These fit the bill. I absolutely love them. Look for a sale and you can get them less than $40 too

#167658 - 07/05/12 01:35 PM Re: Lightweight polyester or nylon LS shirts? [Re: wandering_daisy]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
I would not worry about 35% cotton. My favoirte material is 60/40 nylon or rayon /cotton. The little bit if cotton adds breathability and I do not find it increases the dry time too much. I honestly do not like to hike in 100% nylon shirts - they just do not breath. The color of the shirt also adds sun protection - darker colors more protection. So if it is thin, go for darker colors.

Don't neglect adding a little style.

http://www.shakatime.com/hawaiian_shirt_store/product/PC-345-R.html
65% Polyester - 35% Cotton Blend

#167740 - 07/09/12 06:06 PM Re: Lightweight polyester or nylon LS shirts? [Re: PerryMK]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/mens-shirts/42507.aspx

*Textured fabric with subtle cooling crinkles floats over skin, circulating air
*Polyester/nylon fabric is featherlight, dries quick
*Moisture Control System finish wicks sweat, keeps you dry and looking good
*F.O.M. underarm gussets for unrestricted reach
*UPF 50+ protection from the sun's burning rays
*Button-secured chest pocket with hidden pencil pocket inside
*68% polyester/32% nylon

#167779 - 07/11/12 02:22 PM Re: Lightweight polyester or nylon LS shirts? [Re: PerryMK]
Frederick Offline

Loc: Lago Vista, TX
I know you said you were looking for a dress shirt but you might want to look into getting a LS rash guard. I use these for kayaking and have started wearing them anytime I am out in the sun. They wick away moisture and are extremely comfortable. I get the white ones as they reflect heat off of me.

#167832 - 07/14/12 12:54 AM Re: Lightweight polyester or nylon LS shirts? [Re: Pika]
ohiohiker Offline

Loc: Ohio
There are many long-sleeved polyester fishing shirts, and they often have a decent UPF factor because they're designed for standing out in the sun. I purchased mine at Dick's Sporting Goods. The one made by Columbia seemed the most comfortable, but I have the Field & Stream brand. Mine doesn't wick sweat away well enough in humid forested areas.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum