Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#167131 - 06/23/12 11:07 AM Suggestions for a GPS for a Canadian
ABcowgrl Offline

Loc: Alberta
Looking for model suggestions for a GPS unit for a canadian.Alot of units only have USA maps or mapping sites that don't include coverage for me.trails.com only shows 6 trails in the areas I go to,and their are ALOT more than that!! Anyone know of sites that cover all of the rockies in AB/BC? What units are fellow canadians using? Never used one before,I'm old school..map,compass,familiar areas,and 2-way radios.Also, there's NO cell phone reception in these areas,and have heard some hikers have had their GPS units lose signal in some spots.

#167145 - 06/23/12 04:37 PM Re: Suggestions for a GPS for a Canadian [Re: ABcowgrl]
lori Offline

GPS units connect to satellites, not cell towers. Some models lose reception easier than others, usually due to tree cover or deep canyons.

A Garmin 60csx would be one model that tends to be more reliable in connecting to satellites. But all GPS units can be wrong, or just less accurate than you'd hope, especially if you never calibrate it.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#167151 - 06/24/12 08:38 AM Re: Suggestions for a GPS for a Canadian [Re: ABcowgrl]
ABcowgrl Offline

Loc: Alberta
As far as cell coverage,I just meant that I can't use the popular iphone gps app,cause it won't work out there,and that i'll need a unit capable of picking up signals from multiple satellites.I was told some models can do this,can't remember which ones though.so far my best option will be one that will let me download trail gps coordinates,trying to find topo sites for canada is proving difficult.There's acouple forums that I can download trail info.

#167154 - 06/24/12 11:07 AM Re: Suggestions for a GPS for a Canadian [Re: ABcowgrl]
lori Offline

No one should try to depend on a cell phone app for navigation. If you think some GPS models get poor satellite connection... And, many of the cell phone apps only work with the cell tower connection in addition to satellite. Mine is one. The screen is blank without the cell tower.

Any GPS with map capacity should let you download and upload tracks.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#167166 - 06/24/12 02:10 PM Re: Suggestions for a GPS for a Canadian [Re: lori]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Garmin Etrex 20 or 30 - I have the 30 - Get the model that does dual GPS and GLONASS (the russian one). The dual set of
satelites (and nice russian northern hemisphere coverage) means it does tend to work better with limited view of the sky.

I have been using now a Garmin Etrex 30 with the free Ibycus Topo 4.0 (wit Ibycus "old roads") that is a free version of the government topo maps. it's pretty good for hiking - you'll need to buy a bigger micro-sd card to hold that, but it's kind of nice having topo for the whole country, for free, in your unit, you just need to to a little research online to find the Ibycus maps and get them installed onto your sd card.

The small size of the unit leaves something to be desired for car use - it'll work, but for that you're better off with something bigger. If you do a lot of "dedicated GPS work" where you are fiddling with it a lot you may want a bigger screen or better interface. Me? I want it as light as I can get it for taking hiking, yet with good maps. this fits the bill. I wish the battery lasted longer but oh well, I use eneloop rechargables in it (from costco) and take several sets. I *may* get a lightweight charger apparatus for longer trips. If you leave it on "during the day" for tracking purposes without the backlight I get about 2 days out of a charged set of eneloops. If I don't leave it on, (and only take it out and turn it on when I want it to figure the world out) it lasts much longer - but I have to be prepared to wait a while for it to boot up, and find satelites when I want to do that.

Edited by phat (06/24/12 02:13 PM)
Browse my pictures

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum