Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#166681 - 06/10/12 12:50 PM Brand new Tent care..before first use.
ABcowgrl Offline

Loc: Alberta
Just bought a brand new MSR hubba hubba.I usually use canvas camp tents on packtrips.What does everyone recommend as pre use treatements for this fabric? Do you even bother adding more waterproofing before use when new? I'll be checking the seams for leaks for sure,but what about the rest? What can you use on this stuff that 1.)Actually works...I use dubbin on my canvas,painted on and heat sealed,but this tent needs to breathe.
and 2.) won't wreck the fabric this tent is made of?

#166685 - 06/10/12 02:48 PM Re: Brand new Tent care..before first use. [Re: ABcowgrl]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Give the tent a good soaking to satisfy yourself the seams are sealed tight and won't leak. If it passes, you are good to go. Most bping tents come ready-to-use without further treatment. Sil-nylon single-wall tents often need seam-sealing first, but the hubba-hubba isn't one of them.

Depending on the surfaces you will pitch it on, the tent floor is probably the weakest area for developing leakage problems over time. A foot print cut from 3 mil plastic tarp, just a bit smaller than the tent floor itself, so it won't capture water and channel it under your tent, will extend the life of the floor and therefore of the whole tent. I tend to groom my tent site very carefully and forego the footprint and its extra weight.

The rain fly will last longest if you can pitch in a shady or part-shady place. UV from direct hot sunlight will eventually break down the material. The less direct sun, the better off you'll be.

#166690 - 06/10/12 03:10 PM Re: Brand new Tent care..before first use. [Re: ABcowgrl]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Don't use anything you're use on a horsepacking wall tent on the hubba - it doesn't need it, and it won't like it smile

if you are very concerned about your tent floor (I am usually not) I would suggest a small bit of poly, or if you have it a piece of tyvek house wrap cut slightly *SMALLER* than your tent bottom (smaller so it doesn't act as a place for water to drip on and get between it and the bottom of your tent). But it does add more weight. On the flip side it makes a good hitchiking sign (I do carry tyvek for my small one person black diamond that I "Baby" and often set up on rocks, and my tyvek footprint is also an enourmous sign that says "HIKER TO CAR" - works good wink

Browse my pictures

#166692 - 06/10/12 03:34 PM Re: Brand new Tent care..before first use. [Re: phat]
ABcowgrl Offline

Loc: Alberta
Hahaha...our old canvas camp tent said..come on in,coffee's always on!..I used to pack in 15lbs of coffee for a week pack trip cause every hiker that passed us stopped in.More than one or two were saved by our wood stove in bad weather.;)

#166693 - 06/10/12 04:19 PM Re: Brand new Tent care..before first use. [Re: ABcowgrl]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By ABcowgrl
Hahaha...our old canvas camp tent said..come on in,coffee's always on!..I used to pack in 15lbs of coffee for a week pack trip cause every hiker that passed us stopped in.More than one or two were saved by our wood stove in bad weather.;)

I too like my wood stove in my wall tent - enough to put one
in a backpacking tent :

But that's really only for winter use.. it usually comes out in hunting season, and will stay out if I do a winter trip.

Unlike my spike camp rig, extra coffee backpacking is starbucks via packets (which are awesome) and forget the stove, my sleeping bag and dry set of clothing is inviolable. if it gets truly awful I just set up, and crawl into dry clothing and sleeping bag.

Browse my pictures

#166696 - 06/10/12 05:13 PM Re: Brand new Tent care..before first use. [Re: phat]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
The big thing is to make sure that tent is clean and dry before you store it! If you have to pack it up wet the last day, try to spread it out and dry it as soon as possible.

It is a good idea to test the tent in the back yard with a hose before your first trip with it. (If it leaks, take it back to the store!) Also, practice setting it up and taking it down at least half a dozen times. You don't want to be trying to set up the tent on a dark, wet, windy night with flashlight in one hand and the instructions in the other! laugh

Edited by OregonMouse (06/10/12 05:15 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum