Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#166794 - 06/12/12 08:55 PM Re: best stove for a new hiker [Re: Glenn]
sandia Offline

My vote, given original post, is for canister stove. I can't remember which MSR brand I've got. Is NOT pocket rocket.

The bivie stoves for hanging in a tent.... are certainly not a good pick for this poster...

MSR's history with stoves over past 30 years makes it the only choice in my mind for canister or gasoline stoves.

Gasoline is a pain, slightly dangerous, etc., and not all that light in weight.

Alcohol is GREAT for boiling a little water for a little cooking for one or two people. This person doesn't want that....That's my view.

#166797 - 06/12/12 09:14 PM Re: best stove for a new hiker [Re: sandia]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By sandia

MSR's history with stoves over past 30 years makes it the only choice in my mind for canister or gasoline stoves.

Gasoline is a pain, slightly dangerous, etc., and not all that light in weight.

Alcohol is GREAT for boiling a little water for a little cooking for one or two people. This person doesn't want that....That's my view.

My EXPERIENCE is the exact opposite of this. MSR can't seem to get stoves exactly right - some are okay, the Reactor was actually redesigned after it was panned by backpackinglight.com for giving off dangerous levels of carbon monoxide. The original pocket rocket was prone to the pot supports loosening and warping in the heat of the stove to the point that the pot wobbled dangerously. I got rid of mine after trying everything to keep the wind from blowing it out. (I don't try to cook in high winds. I'm talking about breezes.)

I've fried eggs over alcohol stoves, baked muffins, boiled pasta, and pretty much anything else - the Featherfire stove has an adjusting knob and simmers for 40 minutes on less than an ounce of fuel.

As usual, I think I am on a different planet than sandia.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#166799 - 06/12/12 09:23 PM Re: best stove for a new hiker [Re: lori]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Lori, I am very intrigued about your alchohol stove. I have never been interested in making my own stove from a beer can. Is there a internet link to your stove that gives more information?

#166803 - 06/12/12 10:23 PM Re: best stove for a new hiker [Re: ABcowgrl]
ABcowgrl Offline

Loc: Alberta
I'm goig to go rent acouple different models and take them on our next caping trip.I figure I'll try cooking meals on a different one each day,and see what happens...and throw my trusty ole stove in the truck just in case...lol smile

#166804 - 06/12/12 11:28 PM Re: best stove for a new hiker [Re: wandering_daisy]
lori Offline

There's the two stove approach - make a Simmercat and a Supercat, boil on one and simmer on the other - or the adjustable stove.

Mini Bull Designs used to have the Black Fly - a stove that weighed the same as a Giga (three ounces) with adjustable height wicks and a base you filled with water to keep the alcohol cooler while you were operating the stove. Has built in pot supports. You could set it on high (more wick) to boil water, blow it out, reset it to simmer, and make anything you want. Tinny has since moved on to making remote canister clones (alcohol version) and stopped making stoves like that. It wasn't a pop can stove.

The Featherfire is at packafeather.com. I haven't used it much, since I am primarily a boiling-water type "cook" these days. The stove isn't the most durable thing ever but when I've taken it, wrapping it in a brawny towel prior to packing in the pot has done the trick. But it steam bakes near perfect muffins. You can snuff it with the lid and recover unused fuel.

#166814 - 06/13/12 08:04 AM Re: best stove for a new hiker [Re: lori]
William Offline

Originally Posted By lori
make a Simmercat and a Supercat, boil on one and simmer on the other
I use a so-called simmercat a lot, as opposed to the standard two-row version, because my testing showed it delivered more total heat per unit of fuel. IOW I find it more efficient though somewhat slower.

But I don't understand the "simmer" notion. Maybe at the very start, but once the fuel starts boiling furiously the thing is like a blowtorch, you can't simmer anything.

The only way a simmercat can be used for simmering is if you load it up with max fuel, get your couple of minutes of simmering, and then be able to snuff the flame and recover the fuel.

Edited by William (06/13/12 08:06 AM)

#166816 - 06/13/12 09:36 AM Re: best stove for a new hiker [Re: William]
lori Offline

I also tried to make a Supercat per the template you get off Zenstoves, and Skurka's website.

Fewer holes is the key to both, AFAIK. Luckily I have a cat who will eat Fancy Feast every day if you let her.

#166829 - 06/13/12 01:33 PM Re: best stove for a new hiker [Re: lori]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
I like the MSR Pocket Rocket for its simplicity and reliability. If you get a skillet or pot that doesn't have a handle on it, it will stay balance on the stove arms. They have skillet handle you can just grab the cookware without it being permanently attached to the skillet. A buddy of mine has fried trouts with his Pocket Rocket using the same set up I just mentioned.

Edited by ETSU Pride (06/13/12 01:35 PM)

#166864 - 06/14/12 12:24 AM Re: best stove for a new hiker [Re: ETSU Pride]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By ETSU Pride
I like the MSR Pocket Rocket for its simplicity and reliability. If you get a skillet or pot that doesn't have a handle on it, it will stay balance on the stove arms. They have skillet handle you can just grab the cookware without it being permanently attached to the skillet. A buddy of mine has fried trouts with his Pocket Rocket using the same set up I just mentioned.

And moving the pan around every few seconds to avoid one inch of burned fish surrounded by sushi, no doubt. That flame is way too narrow for serious cooking. You guys must have been cooking behind a wall to get the flame low enough without your breath putting it out.

I'm only exaggerating a little, from my frustrating miserable six months trying to get that stove to behave.

#166921 - 06/15/12 12:27 PM Re: best stove for a new hiker [Re: ABcowgrl]
jwild Offline

Here is one of mine
grin

#167821 - 07/12/12 05:40 PM Re: best stove for a new hiker [Re: ABcowgrl]
lostagain Offline

Loc: DFW, Texas
late to the thread, but i might suggest that something equally important is your cooking gear. I presume that you've got a bunch of it from horsepacking, but if it's weightier, you might consider a set of GSI Bugaboo Camper, or Pinnacle Backpacker sets. These pots are extremely temperature efficient. Mine get hot by running them under hot water in the sink. They're also non-stick and clean up quite well.

I would fashion a cozy for them as they will also cool off quite quickly once removed from the heat.

As for stoves, I gave up my Whisperlite as being too heavy, cumbersome, large, and frankly dangerous in favor of my old and trusty CampingGAZ Bluet. Going to have to give that up for a Primus or Giga as it's getting harder and harder to find fuel for the Bluet. frown

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum