Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#166470 - 06/05/12 10:21 AM backpacks and airlines
alderb Offline

I am traveling from west Michigan to hike in the Emigrant Wilderness area and will need to transport my backpack as checked luggage. What do you do? Do you use a big duffle bag to put the backpack in? Do you just tuck in the straps and hope for the best? Any advice would be appreciated. A couple of notes: I can leave some things behind in our rental car and we'll be stopping at an REI store to get stuff like fuel canisters.

#166475 - 06/05/12 01:15 PM Re: backpacks and airlines [Re: alderb]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
When I flew to AK a couple years ago, it was advised to put the pack in a duffle bag, that way also, all is secured, harder to riffle thru stuff, it takes any abuse. STP had some on closeout which helped on price. Be sure to put something easily recognizable on the outside so you aren't the last one to decide that is your pack. smile
Duane

#166477 - 06/05/12 03:24 PM Re: backpacks and airlines [Re: hikerduane]
sandia Offline

I pack the EMPTY pack inside a large duffel bag, along with whatever other stuff I am bringing.

No reason to tightly stuff sleeping bag a day longer than necessary...

Also, is easier & more efficient to fill duffel bag with bits & pieces of gear & clothing, rather than with a fully packed backpack plus a few odds & ends.

Furthermore everything is a bit more accessible in duffel bag compared with carefully packed backpack.

#166482 - 06/05/12 06:21 PM Re: backpacks and airlines [Re: alderb]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
I think the pack-in-a-duffle makes good sense, although they usually put backpacks into those plastic trays they keep around for odd baggage. Pretty cheap insurance.
Cheers,

#166483 - 06/05/12 06:40 PM Re: backpacks and airlines [Re: Rick_D]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
When we did Machu Picchu we just put the packs into an extra suitcase. They fit easily, and we could stuff a lot of the equipment in with them as well. I don't worry so much in the USA, but things do get stolen from airline luggage, and a duffle bag just seems to invite an accident. Plus it does stand out more...

But I don't think any of this is a big worry.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#166503 - 06/06/12 12:12 PM Re: backpacks and airlines [Re: alderb]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
I did the same thing as balzaccom when I flew from San Diego to Denver for some backpacking. I put my backpack in a large suitcase and all was fine. I think you just need to make sure that there are no straps or belts (or anything) that can get caught in the machinery that moves the luggage.

#166947 - 06/16/12 01:51 PM Re: backpacks and airlines [Re: alderb]
Gordie Offline

I just leave my backpack as is and go. Sometimes the airline will put it in a plastic bag, sometimes not.

#166969 - 06/17/12 03:21 PM Re: backpacks and airlines [Re: Gordie]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
As a retired airline ticket agent and having checked a million passengers' backpacks, I highly recommend putting them in something such as a suitcase or duffle. For years when traveling, we used a sailbag-material duffle when we flew from Miami to Calgary for Canadian Rockies hiking trips. It was light-weight but tough enough to not get ripped, and it kept prying hands out of the pack's pockets.

It was shocking how many kids checked their fancy packs [b]"as is"[/b] when they headed for Latin America from Miami where I worked. I can't tell you the number of hikers who told me on their return that they didn't have a waist strap (torn off) when they got there. And that can be impossible to find in Peru or Panama.

My wife's still working at DIA and highly recommends something to put the packs in. Her (our) airline hasn't provided a plastic bag for anything (including infants' car seats) for years and years now, and fewer airlines have stopped providing them as time goes on and more go bankrupt. Compensation for an unprotected backpack is NOT within the scope of what they pay for when they damage it (check out the fine print), so you're pretty much out of luck if it's destroyed before you hit the trail.

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#167034 - 06/20/12 01:42 PM Re: backpacks and airlines [Re: alderb]
Indy Offline

Tiptoe-ing in for a first post...

Our large suitcases hold a backpack quite well, and they're nothing spectacular. I think we bought them at Target and they've held a Kelty 80L bag with 1P tent and sleeping kit, plus boots, poles, and random I-can't-carry-it-on kinda stuff (read knives and other TSA freakout goods) with ease.

I wouldn't recommend dropping a bag on the baggage check as-is whether it's a cheap bag or a bleeding-edge high end kit. If you've ever seen the conveyor system behind the walls, it becomes obvious that any loose strap, tab, dangle-y piece, can get caught and possibly ripped off thanks to the weight of bags being backed up behind it.

I always travel with a small daypack as a carry-on, anyway, with enough to get me through a day or so should the airline send my suitcase to Guatemala or someplace. Never trust baggage to anything you can't go a day without...change of clothing, meds, toiletries, etc.

#167048 - 06/20/12 10:10 PM Re: backpacks and airlines [Re: Indy]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I have an actual "backpack cover duffel" - light, and MEC here sells them for about 13 dollars.. but in absence of that any large duffel bag works.

It has the added bonus of it looks like a "hockey bag" or "sports bag" - so the airline people don't end up asking stupid questions about stoves and the like.

Pack it in a big duffel/sports bag of some kind - it'll protect your backpack, and it won't look like a backpack.
Browse my pictures

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 247 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum