I'm looking to set up a sleeping system for my 72hr GHB. I end up using this pack a lot actually. It ends up being my outdoor survival and weekend trip pack. I have a two man free standing tent that is very nice and good for all season use. Its a little bit more heavy than I would like and takes up more space than I would like with the poles as I normally put this tent in my pack. Basically my shelter gear I had set up in this pack was based around all weather mountain conditions in Wyoming.

I have since moved back to Minnesota and I want to refine the pack some for summer use from spring to fall. I'm looking for protection from getting wet and bit from insects. I'm leaning in the direction of a bivy bag or a sil nylon tarp and a insect screen/shelter. From your experience what route would you go with? I'm starting to lean toward the tarp/insect shelter route more because I could still at least move around under the tarp instead of being crammed into a tiny bag. I'm 6'2" 205 lbs btw. what brand tarp and or insect shelter would you suggest?

I also would like to buy a descent blanket or bag that doesn't take up a lot of space and is rated to 40-50 degrees. Any suggestions? Is it possible to find something descent under $100.00? I have just been using a usgi wool blanket as of late it works but takes up more space than I would like.

thanks for any info.